Happy Camper

We arrived in Cuenca on Wednesday and strolled around El Centro for hours.  On Thursday and Friday we visited rental  properties we had lined up via the internet before coming.  Today we rented a beautiful, fully furnished condo.  We will move in on Monday after which we can spend the next 7 weeks seeing what day to day Cuenca life is really like. 

So far, so great!

Howard,
Welcome to Cuenca. Glad you found a nice place so quickly, but I also know you did a lot of back ground work.
Enjoy!!!!
Neil

Thanks.  You are right, I was totally consumed researching Cuenca for four months before we came.  I'm half way through the Pimsleur Spanish course and that has paid off as well.  I am actually able to stumble my way through talking with taxi drivers, waiters, cops on the street, etc.  We have only been here for five days and we already love the city.

Once we get settled in our condo we can start trying to meet some people.  Thanks again to you and all of the other contributors to this forum for all the help and information.

Howard, great to hear the acclimation is going well. It is especially good you are making learning Spanish a priority. This will make everyday life easier and permit you to better enjoy what Ecuador offers.
There will be "bumps in the road" however your patience will be rewarded.

This place is great!

The people are extremely friendly and seem willing to suffer through my "Tarzan" Spanish.

The restaurants are wonderful, the weather is fabulous (I lived in Seattle for years so the daily afternoon rain is no big deal) and I even found a good dentist.

Even better, my wife loves the place.  I guess I'm going to have to go home and start selling my stuff.