Questions rarely asked?...curious to know if:

Before I further deepen my desire to relocate to a seemingly wonderful place like Uruguay there are several key elements I need to be critically aware of.  Hopefully someone(s) will be able to respond with certainty, through personal/professional 1st hand experience.
Things I'm most concerned about of course stem from my experiences living in US. These are:
*FOOD... Claims that "the food is natural, wholesome and good" in Uruguay sounds inviting, but doesnt say anything about the integrity or nutritive value of what im eating , or serving, should i open a restaurant.
In the US, any food can be labeled "natural" by USDA. But farmers can douse their crops with chemicals, pesticides, etc. and even with Genetically Modified seed,which is a shocking pnenomenon altogether. It is legal in the USA to officially label a food item natural, when is in fact toxic.
I dont hear anything among expats or nationals on the subject of food grown completely in line with the principles of nature; chemical and GMO free produce and animals raised humanely without use of growth hormones. Perhaps equally important is a twofold issue, that which involves GMO GIANT, MONSANTO.
Monsanto is among the top 2 or 3 GENETICALLY MODIFIED seed producers in the world and controls 80% of the global seed market. They've recently produced and released their GM, chemical-resistant alfalfa, in which of course they want to ensure every cattle farmer uses. I've come to know Monsanto has operations offices in Montevideo. You make the connection. So this of course is paramount importance to me, raising a family and starting business which involves feeding people.
*CONSUMER PROTECTION...Does Uruguay employ an agency that potects consumers and citizens from predatory acts of sales and marketing of products and services?
Regarding the food & agriculture industry, is there a "controller of agriculture" and/or a food and drug enforcement agency that might operate opposite than the corrupt, criminal USDA and FDA?
*VACCINATIONS...Are people-children in particular-required to submit to a panel of vaccinations in order to meet certain political requirements and/or enter shool? If so, what or how is the best way to avoid legislation on this issue, i.e., personal or religious factors?
*BUSINESS...Does any community in the country provide permits for street food vendors that enables a food business to serve food to customers, either on the street from a certified vehicle, either independent of an event, or at an event such as a concert, market or any other attraction? What would be the customary steps to take in arranging this type of business?
*WATER...I have been told the water in Uruguay is clean and drinkable from the tap. Does any district in the country fluoridate the water supply?
*HEALTH...What types of illnesses and diseases are common in Uruguay? Do many children present with ADD or Autism? Are there many cancer patients or is obesity a major health concern? Do patients have the right to natural medicines and procedures which the government and medical establishment supports?
What is the quality of the Emergency Medical System? Where are critically injured trauma patients taken for treatment and are there advanced trauma teams employed, i.e., flight rescue Paramedics?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

What you ask is a number of questions, on which each on its own, one could do a thesis on. Uruguay as a developing country might not have all of the controls and legislation you ask about in place. Having said that Uruguay pride themeselves on natural beef and mutton. As exporting country to the European Union they do not allow hormones etc. Most Beef and Mutton is grassfed off natural grassland and believe me you can taste it.Alfalfa is not widly used.There are many farmers markets where certified organic produce (fruit and vegetables) can be obtained.
I dont know what you mean by vaccinations for political reasons? Vaccinations are about health reasons to prevent diseases like polio etc that destroy childrens lives.Obesity is not an issue in Uruguay it is most definitely much lower than in the US.Uruguay have a good health system on par with anywhere in the developed world excluding some very rare specialities.
Monsanto is present in Uruguay but selling mostly Soy seed to farmers for the no-till soy practise.There are agencies controling agriculture,medicinal drugs etc like in any country.
My advice is to go for a visit and talk to people unlike me (limited general knowledge) who are experts in the field you require information on.Or contact the Uruguay embassy nearest to you.Uruguay and its people have according to me a very good balance between work and life enjoyment. Family and friends are important. North Americans used to a fast life may find this a bit frustrating at first, but it grows on you.The focus is on quality of life in a simple sustainable way.To open up anything in the food bussiness you need to understand the food culture - very different to the US.Uruguayns are not adventurous eaters in general they like their traditional food.
Hope this helps

Regarding trauma care. We were told ambulances are few and far between and many people use a taxi instead. Our electrician broke his knee when he hit a pothole on his motorbike and nine months later is still limping quite badly. Treatment for him was free using the public health system which he told us was for low income workers.
We pay about $160 per month for two of us over 60 years for private health care and we get everything free including hospital care, dental services and medications.

Trauma care is good for private medical care.Emergency evacuation packages can be obtained with companies like Pacific Prime (Just an example) http://www.pacificprime.com/countries/uruguay/ Private Hospitals Like Hospital Británico offers good service.

Depends on your age, Hospital Britanico does not accept new people over 60 according to info I was given.
If you are resident in Uruguay, where would they evacuate you to?

New to the forum:

Cudos to all your questions, especially the food and health!

Yay!

Whisperwind

You may want to read this.

http://www6.rel-uita.org/agricultura/ag … as-eng.htm

I came across this after looking for information following a story in the newspaper here about teachers in the north of the country complaining about crop duster planes spraying near a school.

You will find a small number of folk growing organic products and some in the supermarkets.

Hi Janet:

Thank you very, very much for that post.

All I have to say is DISAPPOINTED!!!!

I was hoping that those in charge in the farming, food and drug department in Uruguay had not been paid off or bought out.

GMOs, Chemtrails, Pestisides, GENOSIDE (if that's how you spell it)

How SAD, with this kind of information our thoughts are thinking elsewhere. 

The fight is begnning, I hope and trust there are enough uruguanians that are waking up and getting informed before it is too late. All it takes are honest strong people in the right places to say NO.

Whisperwind