I need an immigration lawyer plssssss.

Hi,

i think thjat i will be moving to Urugauy soon. i prefer to arrange all my documents and requirments before making such a move. This is why i would like to contact a lawyer, pay some fees and save the hussle and the headache.

if you know good immigration lawyers in montevideo please send me their emails.

Regards

Hi Alif2,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Well, you will still have hassles and headaches but a lot fewer than if you try to do this by yourself!

Look up Fischer and Schickendantz and look under Practice Areas for the Residency and Immigration info.

Several expata including us are using them. We have been here almost two years but still do not have permanent residency. I do not know anyone who came around when we did who have their permament cards yet.

Hi, I am also looking for a good lawyer that can help with the residence application to Uruguay. Can anyone recommend a lawyer you have used for your visa/ residence application and how much is the lawyers' fee per applicant or family please?

These were from 2011  so maybe more now as costs may have risen.  It may seem expensive but the process is complicated requiring many documents to go to various places and if you are outside of MVD you will make many trips in and spend a lot of time waiting around.  We paid half of this upfront and the expenses, and pay the rest when we get our residency.

They also checked all our documents from abroad before we left our home country to make sure they were correct and made the appointments in advance for our medicals etc.

They will send you detailed info if you contact them on all the most current requirements. They also assisted getting our container through customs as it requires documents related to your residency.

One person: USD 1,250 (plus VAT of 22%)
One couple (married or unmarried): USD 2,250 (plus VAT of 22%)
One couple with one child: USD 2,900 (plus VAT of 22%)
One couple with two children: USD 3,300 (plus VAT of 22%)
One couple with three to five children: USD 3,600 (plus VAT of 22%)
Additionally, the process requires approximately USD 400 per person in expenses. Expenses are mostly made in the first stage, and they involve certified translations of your documents, notarial certificates, stamp duties, medical certificates, and filing costs.  We'll provide a detailed breakdown when the process is completed, and return any remainder to you.

Thank you Janway for the info. Would you recommend this lawyer/agency? Could you please give me the details of this lawyer or immigration consultant.
Another question please is the VAT for Uruguay or is it charged in Canada? we have something similar here we call GST but we only charge it to people who are living in NZ not for offshore clients. So if I am hiring this lawyer from NZ would I still pay the VAT? Thanks Hala

Hi all has anyone heard or used MVs Abogados? What did you think of them?

Yes we are happy with Fischer and Schickendantz. They are a large law firm, speak good English and know exactly what needs to be done. You can easily find them online.

The VAT tax is Uruguayan and applies to most purchases although when you buy something it is usually already added to the price. Yes you would pay it  as you need to be actually in Uruguay with an address here to apply for residency.

Hi everyone.
I intend to travel to Uruguay to obtain permanent residency there, is there anyone who can help me to find current requirements and criteria.
We are 4 friends who are coming together, we all are married. Currently is there any improvement in their immigration system or they still take long.

You can look at this.

fourflagsjournal.com/how-to-obtain-residency-and-citizenship-in-uruguay-update-by-uruguay-attorney-mark-teuten/

The rules seem to change often, I was asked for a Police Report from England even though I have not lived there or even visited there for over twenty years. We were asked to show a much higher proof of income ($1500US)  etc. etc. We have been waiting almost two years for our permanent residency - we know several others who have waited closer to three years and still do not have it.

Tangential to your question, but: were I to do it again I would try to find a home in Punta del Este/Maldonado/Rocha, simply to avoid having to deal with ANY of the bureaucracy in Montevideo. Working with Migración in Maldonado, you could probably do it fairly easily yourself with limited Spanish.

I was told that only the initial filing was done where you live and eventually you will have to go to the regular place in MVD as all the papers end up there.  Maybe this is incorrect? Have you completed the whole thing yet?

No need to go to Montevideo in this situation. They will call Montevideo for permission to issue a Permiso de reingreso, but it takes about under ten minutes start to finish, as opposed to well over an hour in Montevideo.

Hi all,

I recently moved to Montevideo last Sunday.  I'm wondering on what you need to do to make the switch from tourist to temporary resident.  I understand that there is an appointment that needs to setup and that can be anywhere from a month to four months down the road.  When you schedule for the appointment is this the point where you receive your temporary ID card?  Also, what needs to be shown at this initial appointment?

Thanks,
Anthony

You will see the requirements above on the fourflags site.  You will need someone who speaks Spanish with you if you do not.

Hi Jan:

My husband and I are considering coming to Uruguay this November 2013 as a relocation scouting trip.

Can you please tell me how you are liking your new home in Atlantida?

Weather, community, people, cost of living, housing etc. etc.

Your answer will be much appreciated.

Whisperwind

We like Atlantida. I am not a city person and could never live in MVD.  In winter much of Atlantida is closed. Only a few restaurants are open and many of the small businesses are closed. Many of the houses are closed up too.

You can get the basic services - there is one bank BROU and two supermarkets plus other small businesses such as hardware stores, pharmacies, vets and hairdressers.  In summer the town swells with many tourists and everything becomes much more busy and crowded.

Many people are surprised by the weather here in winter.  It is cold from about June to the end of September. We don't see snow but do get frost and a lot of cold rainy days. We burn about 5 tons of wood over the winter. The houses here are rarely insulated and generally have single paned glass in the windows. many complain of dampness and mould indoors. Houses are generally poorly built and much smaller than North American houses. Cupboards are rarely built in and most bedrooms would not have room for a kingsize bed or even a queensize. There usually are no basements or attics and storage is limited. Often the only heat source is an open fireplace.

Coming from the Maritimes, we find costs here slightly less than NS but many from the US find costs here higher than where they are from. Housing would be cheaper than BC but electricity, gas, clothing, electronics, vehicles and furniture etc are probably more expensive. Don't forget that taxes are hidden here so the price you see include the taxes. You can compare prices on numbeo.com. Getting anything from outside the country is difficult, expensive and time consuming. I get by on what is available here and do not worry about getting stuff from North America.

We spend around $2000 US a month but have no rent as we own our home. We mostly eat at home and spend little on entertainment. We do have a car.

There are a about two dozen English speakers here and we get together regularly for lunches and other activities. The local Uruguayans are generally very helpful and polite but most have close family and lifelong friends and have no need of our company.  There is some crime here but much less than in MVD. If you have a monitored alarm system and a few dogs you are usually fairly safe from break ins.