The meaning of some kuwaiti words

hi ..

some of you are new in kuwait .. and maybe many of you know arabic words :)
but kuwaiti Tone has some difference

let's start with some basics

hi = gowwa
how are you = eshloonik
i've just arrived = tawny wesalt
becareful = drbalek
are you kidding me = men sejek ?
i'm new here = ana yedeed ehnee
i didn't get it( didn't understand) = mafahamt
supermarket = jam-eya

that what remember now ..
i will update this every time i being here .. and i'll be happy if you asked :)

That's a good idea!

Can you maybe put in brakes the way of how to pronounce the words?)

sure

you can spell it exactly as it's written .. and some you should press like when we say "Innocent" we press on "N" we do not say it "Inocent" with light "n"

so when you say "gowwa" you should press on "W"  and not saying "gowa" with one "w"

so it is speel like this : gow-wa

i hope that was clear for you

updates :

the airport = el mataar
my bag = jantetee
my wallet = pokee
my husband = zoojee

most welcome :)

this is very cool sis...

Maybe some necessary Words

When some of you facing harassment childish.
go away = emshi or eglob wayhek or ethlef (it is my best word)
shame on you = ma testahi or estah ala wayhek

I am just Joking but we do use these words daily with Those guys .

I think it is better if we teach them how to pronounce the arabic latters so they can speek kuwaiti Tone fluently.

Thank you a geen sis.

I think it is better if we teach them how to pronounce the arabic latters so they can speek kuwaiti Tone fluently.

it's hard to teach it here .. it should be face to face :)

it needs some train :) .. who want to learn?

i do appreciate your intiative of teaching arabic to people here ! but these words are only used occasionally,words like day to day communication with people would help more ! thnxx

roro

i know .. but those words i mentioned can be used everyday :)

i see that you are from kuwait .. so you can bee helpful if you like to :)

regardes

Sleepy = na-asan & na-asanah (for female)

Hungry = joaan & joaanah (for female)

Headache = suda-a

:P:/;):o:rolleyes:

This is what I feeling now.

How about some greetings for Ramadan (or holidays in general?)

http://rlv.zcache.com/eid_mubarak_red_rose_postcard-p2395591003614131667onr_500.jpg

For that you may say:

1- Mobarak alekom elshahar = I hope it is a blessing month for you. (in the early days it is the best time to say it)

2- Taqabal allah ta-atkom = May Allah accept your religious worship. ( after Sunset- Iftar )

This is what i can think of, there are many word but the Arabic Language have many Letters you should now how pronounce it first.

Thank you,,,

Thanks Choco..

you are welcome alfred :)

right kuwaiti girl

and for your knowledge ... shouting and spelling bad words is forbidden as long as i'm fasting

so when someone do that you should reminde him that " are you fasting? it's forbidden to shout "

anyway if anyone shout on me in ramadan i should say " allahoma inne sa-em "

"embarak aleakom elshahar" can be said any time in ramadan " good bless your this month"

at the middle of ramadan .. 13th & 14th & 15th you'll see "gergea-aan"

i like this tradition .. children wear a spicial clothes and go out side to have chocolate from the neighborhood .. it's just like halloween

the girls wear like this

http://static.flickr.com/84/250783176_81746294dd_o.jpg

http://m002.maktoob.com/alfrasha/up/2052428263801035195.jpg

http://www.qatifphoto.com/photopost/data/500/18.jpg

and the boys >>>

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/121/261492069_ca82305d2c.jpg

they sing alot of traditional songs .. you can check them on youtube here

what kids doing in gerge3aan

the traditional song for gerge3aan

indeed kuwaiti girl prepared you son saqer for that ;)

Those costumes are beautiful!

@choco

i wish i cud help........i dont speak arabic !

still trying to learn ! :P

yes niki there are so cute ^_^

roro .. it mentioned in your profile you are kuwaitian :) how long you've been here?

any way you can learn anything you want from here .. you just ask for dear :)

yeah sure choco....

but i think learning in this way cud be more confusing and complicated as i dont know how to pronounce them !!!!! :P

mmmm

roro .. you joined the club now .. just attend the class here

and i pronoun it as much as i can .. just follow the spelling and you can do it :d

updates :

i missed you : eshtagt-lech :heart:
shame on you : 3eab aleak :dumbom:

my kids : eyalee
my mother : ommy
my fathar : oboy
my brother : okhoy
my sister : ekhty

:)

@holdcardsdown

woooow thts a great  idea of learning ! but unfortunately people in kuwait are not so friendly,mostly i think are racist !!!!!! :p sry again but its true !!!!

well it will be great if i cud find some arabic speaking people at some place near my home and have a word with them !!!

hope they dont say tht (shaatabii = what do u want ????)   am i right CHOCO !

I think it's a bit difficult to know the real pronunciation of these words.

You know how I learned Spanish? I used to live near a store where Mexicans were working in Arizona, every time I went to the store I they would teach me a few words and phrases. A year later I was literally just walking in the store and speaking to them in Espanol only, lol and whenever I saw Latinos in the street, I would make small talk to test my Spanish.

Conclusion: you should find yourself somebody at a store you go to frequently or a restaurant to teach you slowly.

once i was in a video store in ghalia & alia

there was american woman next to me with her two kids .. she talking in english .. then when she talked to her kids she was talking in arabic .. i was just like " wow" .. so i asked her

hi , you know arabic very well and i think you are not arabian right?
she said yes .. my husband is kuwaiti :)

holdcardsdown , yes it is hard to pronun these words .. but with time they will know well .. i know filipinos guy " woking at mc donald " abu hulaifa ..after noon .. guys you can go and check how he talk .. i like talking to him .. in arabic with time he was pronuned the word just like me

so once you know it you can practice

and you know Spanish in a year?? that's good .. i know some words and trying to know more .. you would be felpfull to me hehehe :)

but as roro said .. it's difficult to find some one friendly to teach you arabic words unless you know him or her " in work maybe " .. or you are lucky :p

and roro .. when he said to you ( shtaabii? ) you tell him : ( salamtic = never mind just forget it ) :p

roro do you know how i teach my self english ? " i was less than "D" in school with english ...so i started watching english movies and tried to talk to american people ... i was like "LOST" btween them when they talk .. but as holdcardsdown said .. it becomes better with time ... so i'm still learning from you guys

don't give up .. it's good to know what people says ... and amazing when you sock some one  by replaying in his language ;)

Dear roro

I think I can help you.
I have  many friends are learning the arabic language, particularly the Kuwaiti dialect  they are from India, Pakistan, Philippines, Bangladesh, and even the Arabs from Syria, Lebanon, Egypt, Morocco does not know some Kuwaitis words so are you interested to be my student.

choco-muchacha dear,

How about starting an educational project to help Foreigners who are interested in learning the Kuwaiti dialect.

On the other hand they can teach us some of there dialect.

@kuwaiti girl

i think  thts a gr8 idea ! i will be delighted if i cud learn arabis from a kuwaiti !!!!

thnnxxx for the offer

muchacha = I am assuming u know the meaning of muchacha?  I hope u do, It is spanish for female, but not all spanish speaking countries use it?  so how did u hear of this words? you can even spell it right? or it is an arabic word?

Just throwing a question out there... I'll be in Kuwait next week, and I would really like to start taking some arabic classes straight away... I've tried some self study (I've got most of the alphabet down), but think classes would be a big help... is anyone taking classes or know where I could find some? Thnx.
Marina

Rosetta Stone is not enough by itself. I am still looking for classes, too! Aware Center has some classes, but they already began a few weeks ago. So if you find out any other places to learn Kuwaiti Arabic please let me know, OK? I really appreciate it! :)

thanks choco for helping the way you are teaching here,...I m in kuwait last 8 years but still cant speak arabic ..i hope from you i can learn something...i dont from where i start arabic , i can read arabic but dont  the meanings...i hope now u can help me on that ... Ramadan Kareem ,, thanks dear

well thnak u so much for the help , i am having a litle probelm in the pronounciation ... :$

Well Said!

choco-muchacha wrote:

I think it's a bit difficult to know the real pronunciation of these words.

You know how I learned Spanish? I used to live near a store where Mexicans were working in Arizona, every time I went to the store I they would teach me a few words and phrases. A year later I was literally just walking in the store and speaking to them in Espanol only, lol and whenever I saw Latinos in the street, I would make small talk to test my Spanish.

Conclusion: you should find yourself somebody at a store you go to frequently or a restaurant to teach you slowly.

once i was in a video store in ghalia & alia

there was american woman next to me with her two kids .. she talking in english .. then when she talked to her kids she was talking in arabic .. i was just like " wow" .. so i asked her

hi , you know arabic very well and i think you are not arabian right?
she said yes .. my husband is kuwaiti :)

holdcardsdown , yes it is hard to pronun these words .. but with time they will know well .. i know filipinos guy " woking at mc donald " abu hulaifa ..after noon .. guys you can go and check how he talk .. i like talking to him .. in arabic with time he was pronuned the word just like me

so once you know it you can practice

and you know Spanish in a year?? that's good .. i know some words and trying to know more .. you would be felpfull to me hehehe :)

but as roro said .. it's difficult to find some one friendly to teach you arabic words unless you know him or her " in work maybe " .. or you are lucky :p

and roro .. when he said to you ( shtaabii? ) you tell him : ( salamtic = never mind just forget it ) :p

roro do you know how i teach my self english ? " i was less than "D" in school with english ...so i started watching english movies and tried to talk to american people ... i was like "LOST" btween them when they talk .. but as holdcardsdown said .. it becomes better with time ... so i'm still learning from you guys

don't give up .. it's good to know what people says ... and amazing when you sock some one  by replaying in his language ;)

choco-muchacha wrote:

roro

i know .. but those words i mentioned can be used everyday :)

i see that you are from kuwait .. so you can bee helpful if you like to :)

regardes

choco,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,do u remember this friend

tai1017 wrote:

muchacha = I am assuming u know the meaning of muchacha?  I hope u do, It is spanish for female, but not all spanish speaking countries use it?  so how did u hear of this words? you can even spell it right? or it is an arabic word?

i can spell it right cause a latin classmate who told me about it :)

it's not arabian word

roro911 wrote:

@kuwaiti girl

i think  thts a gr8 idea ! i will be delighted if i cud learn arabis from a kuwaiti !!!!

roro,

[large]When I was at Kuwait university I had so many friends from different parts of the world , they came to Kuwait to study Arabic language & specially Kuwaiti accent.
In Kuwait university there's a department called [color=#000]Language centre
you can learn Arabic,Spanish,French and other languages over there + they are givin a good courses t the one who wana study and learn Kuwaiti accent..
If u are interested you can visit the centre and ask about Dr.Khloud al-Saleh or Dr.Liyla Al-Othman for more clarification.
Believe me it's worth..

Ciao.[/large][/color]

thnnxxx for the offer

hellooo everyone ! :)

i guess i can help u learning some kuwaiti words... just let me know what words u would like to know and learn it for your daily communication ! :)

nice to meet u all... waiting for replies ! ;)

hi alll

ya sure freeeee no charge  :lol:;)

thanx maryoma ^^

Heeey,
Please dont stop....i kept reading it and learn from it. Mashkoooor wa jazakAllah khairan. I wanna learn kuwaiti dialect i know very little....so please write more expressions :)

this is great, i am familiar with some of the words.

Muchacha ... I can't believe you are doing this blog ... it is really cool of you to think of this ... Well I do speak Arabic so I can offer help to anybody.
Though once I came to Kuwait these words i didn't know and they are used a lot mainly by taxi drivers and people everyday. So here they are:
           -     Sida (Si-da) : means straight
           -     Bakala : very small supermarket
           - Foq-Tahit (the h is spelled as h in arabic): u turn
           - tcham (t-sham): how much
           - Shtabi (sh-ta-bi): what do u want/need.

I'll post what ever crosses my mind as well later on!

this post is really funny if u speak arabic already :P