Ready or not here we come

My wife and I will arrive in Cuenca October 9 for a two month visit.  We will be staying at a hotel near Parque Calderon until we hopefully can find a short term furnished rental so we can experience the real lifestyle.

I've been studying Cuenca maps for months so I have a basic lay of the land.  I'm half way through the Pimsleur Spanish course so I know how to order a beer and then ask for the subsequently required bañyo.

So, what would you experienced expats recommend we do to hit the ground running so we can get the most from our visit?

Howard, I suggest you give yourself a few days to acclimate to the altitude and culture shock. Plan on eating light, staying close to home and listening to your body.
Enjoy the experience.

Howardofocal wrote:

So, what would you experienced expats recommend we do to hit the ground running so we can get the most from our visit?

I'm sure to get some jabs for this, but after you find Parque Calderon (which should be the first thing on any list), I would go across Louis Cordero (that will be the street on the East side of the parque) and jump on the tour bus. 5 bucks per head, last a couple of hours, and it will give you a chance to see a lot of Cuenca and to orient yourself in general. You will end up where you started at Calderon.

symo

Thanks for the tips guys.  We'll do both.

Please, dont eat from the street!!

Eat in restaurants, smell the food, if tastes weard dont eat it.
The best way to experience a city is by walking, wich is not big deal. CUenca is so tiny that you can go walking almost everywhere.

Something funny: The streets has diferent name at one side than the another! In the left hand is "Popeye street" at the rigth Olive street. I decided stop using maps and just enjoy the walk.. haha

Have a safe trip!

FB GoodLifeInEcuador

Thank you.