Road Trip 18/10 to24/10 Rio ==> Iguazu Sao Paulo, paraguay, argentine.

Hello everyone,

We are two young French, we plan to do a road trip from Rio via Sao Paulo, purpose of visiting the famous Iguazu Falls to also take the opportunity to visit a little Paraguay and Argentina.

Dates: 18/10 Departure from Rio
             24/10 Back to Rio

We rented a car + fuel estimate = 1000 Reais, to divide by the number of participants
(accommodation not included)
We are two, so still 2 places available ...

If you want to make a nice little trip through the "real" Brazil contact me :)

Sofiane

Hi Sofiane,

Six days may be really underestimating the time it will take to do this trip and return. You have no idea whatever just how bad Brazilian highways are. The driving distance is 1473 km and that will take around 24 hours of non-stop driving. More realistic if you allow three days each way with stop-overs at night. Even two days may be pushing it.

I would highly recommend that you not try to drive at night here in Brazil, the roads are treacherous, curves, potholes, poorly designed, lack illumination in many places. They are a challenge for drivers who are used to driving them. Also Brazilian drivers are notoriously bad and anti-drunk driving laws here are completely ignored so at night you're exposing yourself needlessly to great risk.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward – Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

hi
thank you for your valuable advices,

Yes indeed, I thought I could not drive at night.
We thought about two days to go, two days visiting, two days back to rio
of course, enjoy the landscapes and discover each city during stopovers.

Luckily I'm not the only driver, we share the route to make it more fun and safe for all

Hi Sofiane,

That's still 736 km. to cover each day for two days (one way)and here in Brazil with traffic and road conditions being what they are you're looking at about 12.25 hours to do that distance. So if you've got two drivers that boils down to a little over six hours of non-stop driving and 368 km each one. It's "do-able", but it's likely to be kind of nerve wracking. You should also factor in a stop every 4 hours (max.) of about 30 minutes, even longer would be better.

On another point, insurance! If you're renting a car, even if the cost is considerably higher, make sure that you get FULL COVERAGE insurance. If you don't and something goes wrong you're probably going to get stuck with a whopping bill that could ruin your vacation completely. Paying the extra up front, you may never need it, but the alternative could be devastating. Like the old saying goes, "Better safe than sorry".

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward – Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Obviously,
I thought about it and i take your advice whith a big interest, I am aware that it can be short delay, but whith being 3 OR 4 we can manage
Relating the insurance,  I made ​​my arrangements, I have an avantageous credit card with a cover  all risks.

Thank you for all

Sofiane,

Be extremely careful with the credit card protects all. I know first hand. Trust me it's worth paying the full coverage through the rental car company. If you use the CC as your crutch keep this in mind. They will charge you regardless for any damage or liability and this is Brazil so nothing is black and white. After they charge you it's up to you to seek reimbursement for the charges. Keep in mind most likely they do not speak English and if you use a Visa or MasterCard they are not obligated to. American Expess your covered and they are screwed.  Recently I rented a car and someone hit my mirror. I didn't take out insurance and now I am in the midst of a all out dispute.

Also be sure you have unlimited KM.

Matt-

I'm afraid by this kind of practice
I have a gold card american express,  i ll use it it should be good

Thank you for the information

If you have AMEX enjoy your trip! As I said ... Visa, MC take heed. AMEX, let them get lost in their own B/S. AMEX carries the most thorough and hassle free protection of any card. I wish I used mine this past rental.