Where to live when working in Westchester? (commute)

Hi everyone,

I am a 30 year old single woman. My company is sending me from Paris to New York, to work there for a few years. Yes, that's the dream!
And yet, actually, I will not work in NYC, but in Westchester, between White Plains and Port Chester. So I am wondering where I should actually live.

Of course I would like to get a taste of the Big Apple... I consider living close to Grand Central Station or East Harlem 125th street. But the commute might be super long, if not impossible (train + bus, or train + scooter). Bronx would be closer, but I really don't know which neighborhood I should avoid or go to.
But some may think I should probably live in White Plains or somewhere on Metro North to only enjoy NYC on week ends, and drive to work in less than 30 minutes in my own car.
Someonelse I know over there finally mentionned... Stamford, Connecticut.

Is there anyone here doing such commute from NYC to Westchester everyday?
Where's the best place to live if so? Is it that painful?
Should I give up the idea of living in NYC?

Let's say in the end that driving and housing budget are not that much of an issue, and I don't mind living either with roomates or on my own.

Thanks for any input you may have on my case!

Flo

hi there, should you decide to live in westchester, I have a friend that has a lovely lower level apt to her house, on the water!! you can walk to the train, about 15 min walk, or bike.walk to the village, but also, this has a beach club that goes with it!! there are many europeans in the neighborhood too. we are 5 min drive to white plains, and only 38 min train to grand central, and about 10 min drive to greenwich ct. I dont recall the price but it might be 2500-3000 a month. there is also a second bedroom, perhaps you could also get a room mate. there is  a patio and a fireplace, big tv, furnished.
janna
should you ever want to have your family visit, my husband and I rent out our home short term. it to is in the same neighborhood.
and if you ever want to take a wknd with friends to the mountains, the catsillls, I have a home in woodstock ny, see woodstockstonecottage.com

Thanks Janna, sounds like a very nice place indeed! And your suggestions for the holidays look great as well, I'll definitely have a look.

And yet I was looking for more specific tips on where to live, such as the atmosphere in one area or other: where is it safe / where is it not, where is it lively / where is it dull and is everything closed at 7pm, where are living the single folks in their 30s?
Some feedback on someone living in White Plains, or Port Chester, or Tarrytown, or even Pelham Pkwy or Parkchester in the Bronx, or why not Harlem near the 125th?

I know, I'm asking a lot, but any experience could nurture my thinking...

Thanks!

forget the bronx. however some areas are very nice, but you have a 'mix' and frankly not sure how safe one street away can be.
as to harlem, the better areas would probably be near columbia, more younger peeps, and more gentrification, with restaurants and easy access to subways.
if the bronx i would recommend grand courcouse area, its up and coming, rent is still reasonable, and you have easy access to subways for east side and west options.
for westchester, I say white plains. its had a major redo over the last 15 years, one fun restauratn after another on mamaroneck ave,  malls, ritz carleton, etc.
port chester, sort of, but you def need a car, and its the link to greenwich ct, which that would bve another good option.
no tarrytown, its still too suburban

Thanks for your feedback! Could be Harlem or White Plains after all...

Hey FloV,
You did get good advice from 3865. I am African and I lived and studied in Paris. Now I am in the Bronx and it won't be fun for you to live here. I haven't be up to Westchester yet. But I've heard it is much fun than the Bronx for European trying to mingle with other professional around the same age. Look also advice on websites like Voila New York and New York in French. Best of luck and enjoy the city. If you need any other information feel free to post it here or send me an email. cheers