Cost of living in Latvia

Hi everybody,

It would be very interesting and useful to exchange informations about the cost of living in Latvia
. The idea is to help those who would like to live in Latvia
Don't forget to mention where you are living

Let's compare the:

> accommodation prices (how much does it cost to rent or to buy an accommodation in Latvia
?)

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> prices of a beer or a coffee in a regular pub

Thanks in advance for your participation!

how much money do you pay rent for a house in latvia per month

Haven't lived in Latvia, but I spent two weeks there on a recent holiday. Since there weren't any other answers, I thought I would share what I could.
The Lat is currently worth around $2 US.

These are prices in Riga.

Trams and buses, .50 Lats
Beer (depending on where you go) 1-3 Lats
Coffee 1-2 Lats
Food in supermarkets like Maxima is pretty inexpensive
Loaf of bread runs around .40 to .60 Lats
I really can't remember the prices of all the food, but I could buy enough for a few meals for me and friends at the Hostel for around 8 - 10 Lats.
Meal at Lido's (good local cafeteria style restaurant) 3.5 to 7 Lats depending on what you ordered (a plate of chicken or pork skewers and potatoes ran around 3.5)
Bear in mind that I was staying in the Old Town, where most prices are higher of course.
Not a lot of information I know, but I hope it helps. I plan on returning in the spring, two weeks wasn't enough. If I could afford the move, I would be there, my favorite European city so far.

So...
Rent a flat - 1 bedroom, furnitured, approx. 150 Euros + bills (another 100-150 per month)
Of course there are classy ones and the cheapest ones. The price depends on location, neighborhood, the flat condition itself. You can rent a hovel for 50 Euro in the Center, but it would be with shared bathroom and WC....

Transport is about 60 Euros/per month and You have unlimitted credit for busses and trums. For train You'll have to pay separately.

Food. Comparatively low. About 200 Euro per month. Without eating out!

Medicine... Hmmm... well, it's a big problem here since it's budget and none of the insurances has a full cover! I'd rather recomended no to be ill here.

Education.. About 1500 Euro per year (higher education) the common edu is free of charge

Bills.. It may vary but in general it's about 120 Euros/per month for 1 room flat (including cold/hot water and central heating), 15 electricity/per mont, 20 - internet...another 10 for cable TV.

Gping out: standart dinner without alcohol is about 20-30 Euros for one person. But! There is palces where Ypu can have lunch for 2 Euros only! If someone needs this information contact me!:)Bars, nightclubs and etc. - 10-15 entrance, and another 40 for drinks

It's about 600-700 Euros per month to live in Riga. In small towns living would be cheapier, but there is no jobs...

That's it!
Any questions???:rolleyes:

I completely agree with that is said by Jolja, I would say life is about 700 Euros per month, but for a very simple way of life.

You may find a 1-bed., flat for rent in Jurmala(Kauguri) for 50 euro/month,but you need to take train for about 1 hour.

@jolja

Do you know any good web with studios or 1-bedroom apartments in Riga? I'm finding a lot that are way above the budget you state...

Thanks !

Juan

700 euros that's expensive ummm

thanks for the information

How much would an international student need to spend in a whole year/month? I'm not in the EU, do I still get an education for about 1,500 euros per year? Can I live with about 4000 euros per year?
Thanks.