Paying rent

I will be in Cuenca for two months and will be renting a furnished apartment.

What is the best way to pay my rent each month.  I don't particularly want to withdraw it from an ATM and carry it across town with me.  If I get cash from an ATM in a bank can I then immediately deposit it into my landlord's account?

Or, should I open a savings account for the two months?  Or, is there some other way .I haven't thought of?

You won't be able to open an account if you are only here for 2 months. I doubt very much that your landlord will accept a check drawn on an American bank. If it is through a site, you can pay with a CC. I would suggest you contact the landlord and ask what procedures they accept.
Unfortunately, the easiest route that most folks use is the ATM route. I routinely make substantial withdrawals from an ATM, and have never experienced a problem. Just follow the same precautionary rules you would back home and you should be alright. Many here carry their wallet in the front pocket, as it's more secure than the back pocket to thwart pick pockets.
Biggest tip is to just be very aware of those around you.
Best Wishes

i've used paypal...
...but mostly it is cash.

Thanks for the info.  I guess I won't know until I know where we're going to land.  By the way, how's motorcycling down there?

Insane!!!!!
I've been riding for over 50 years, and it scares me to death. Wait until you see these guy's on little 200 CC's cutting through traffic.
I think you might be cool out of the city, but there is no way I'd drive in the city. But it is great riding out in the mountains. But these little 200's won't cut it going up the mountains. Minimum is a 250 CC, and get a 2 stroke 250, and you should be able to move.
I'm picking up a 1000 CC BMW in Bogota in a few months, and that bad boy will be King of The Hill around here!
Keep your head on a swivel. Shinny side up!
Neil

Well, I'm an old street/cruiser guy and I doubt the roads down there are very suitable for my style of riding.

Actually, the streets are pretty good. The traffic? Scary!
But you get out of town in the hills and there is some great riding. There are a number of riding clubs to hook up with too.
I'm picking up a BMW in Bogota that will is a 1000's CC that will be able to handle the mountains. Getting it from a friend.
These 200's just don't have the umph to hack it.
A 650 Yamaha here will cost you an arm and a leg. Very spendy.
Take Care,
Neil

What model BMW?  If we elect not to move to Ecuador I'm seriously looking at the new R1200GS.  They just did a big review in Motorcyclist Magazine and it totally whipped the new competition.  Hell, if I was a lot younger I'd buy one here and ride it to Cuenca :-)

i'm not really seeing how your age is keeping you from riding a motorcycle to ecuador if you really wanted to do it.

you wouldnt be the first...or the oldest.
;)

that would be a great adventure...go for it!
:D

bobdole wrote:

i'm not really seeing how your age is keeping you from riding a motorcycle to ecuador if you really wanted to do it.

;)

If he rode a motorcycle through the Darien Gap, he'd be among the first.

BobH wrote:
bobdole wrote:

;)

If he rode a motorcycle through the Darien Gap, he'd be among the first.

huh?

you dont ride there, silly...u hitch a ride with one of the MANY boats that operate between colombia and panama..  google knows of many blogs from folks taking that path previously.

i've seen everything very basic fishing boats delivering backpackers kuna region in panama to turbo(colombia) to beatiful 50 foot catamarans operating between coastal panama and cartagena.

that said, most folks just ship vehichle from colon to cartagena..

If you don't want to carry the money across town from the ATM, find an ATM closer to your location.  Otherwise, ask the landlord if he would come with you to the ATM - then he can receive the money and it becomes his responsibility.

On the topic of motorcycles - only Ecuadorians can import motor vehicles. Be sure to check with the authorities. For more information, contact [email protected].

Howardofocal wrote:

What model BMW?  If we elect not to move to Ecuador I'm seriously looking at the new R1200GS.  They just did a big review in Motorcyclist Magazine and it totally whipped the new competition.  Hell, if I was a lot younger I'd buy one here and ride it to Cuenca :-)

Just saw a nice 800GS in Otavalo. I think the 650's would be better here. You need the agility. The 1200, in my opinion, is overkill. There's so much off road here to explore, and while the 1200 will do it, it's like gutting a fish with a machete.

Well, I'm just sort of dreaming.  The 1200 just won motorcycle of the year.  It's way too much for an old geezer like me.

In my experience, landlords accepts deposit for the rent.
In order to get a receipt for your payment (wich I highly recomend) get the ATMs receipt, make copy of it for your records and give the original to the landlord.
Why I say you keep the copy?
Because the papper what the ATMs receipt is made dont last long. The information just dissaper from the papper in short time.

Thanks for the tip