Teaching English in Montenegro

Hi,

I'm 46 and English (male) with a degree in Business Management (first class honors) and a CELTA/TEFL certificate and I'm interested in teaching english as a job in MNE either at a language school, or via private tutoring. I've previously coached for IELTS and taught elementary, intermediate and advanced classes for high school and college level students .. and some 1-to-1 business english classes.

What opportunities exist? I've emailed 5 different language schools (including 3 in Podgorica) plus the language faculty at the university ... and NONE of them have replied despite follow ups.

Welcome on Expat.com RyanCurtis ;)

I hope that other members of the site will be able to help you soon in regards to your queri(es).

All my wish of success in your career.

Regards

RyanCurtis wrote:

I've emailed 5 different language schools (including 3 in Podgorica) plus the language faculty at the university ... and NONE of them have replied despite follow ups.

You've probably contacted all of these already, but just in case, there are a few schools listed here:education-schools-montenegro.blogspot.com

Otherwise, you might want to consider contacting large companies to teach their employees, or even the British and US Embassy, as I know some embassy organise teaching classes to locals / companies' staff too.

Thank you for your replies. Yes, International House was one of those I wrote to (on several occassions) but received no response.  I'll be arriving in Montenegro soon (I'm touring Europe first) ... then I'll do some personal calling. If I get no joy then there is an obvious gap in the market and I'll just open my own school.

Another question: where in MNE (preferably with relative ease of access to Podgorica) is cooler in summer? I see it has been in the high 30's all week (compared to 18C-19C in England where we are getting a rubbish summer).  Once it gets above 25-30C then it gets HARD to work (as someone not used to the heat).  When I was 26 years old I worked in the Middle East with few ill effects, but now I'm 46 I'm a lot less tolerant.

Hi Ryan,
I believe the only places that will be rather cool in the summer in Montenegro are in the mountains: Kolasin, Durmitor...
Podgorica and the entire coast tend to be really hot in July and August. At least the coast tends to have breeze from time to time, whereas Podgorica tends to be a real furnace.
Did you not get any replies from the Knightsbridge school in Tivat?

RyanCurtis wrote:

Another question: where in MNE (preferably with relative ease of access to Podgorica) is cooler in summer? I see it has been in the high 30's all week (compared to 18C-19C in England where we are getting a rubbish summer).  Once it gets above 25-30C then it gets HARD to work (as someone not used to the heat).  When I was 26 years old I worked in the Middle East with few ill effects, but now I'm 46 I'm a lot less tolerant.

Knightsbridge Tivat looked very impressive from its website but it was teaching young kids.  All my experience is with high school/college and adults. Mostly General English for for Cambridge exams, IELTS/TOEFL etc, some pre-sessional Academic English ... and Business English.

There is also the problem that some of the well-known language schools in MN have *appalling* reputations on the international forums (former staff members). It's virtually impossible to find anyone posting positive comments even if you track back over multiple years... which worries me. Running a school properly and looking after your staff is remarkably simple .. and cheaper than cutting corners (but then running companies, projects and programmes is what I *do* ... or at least it was until I retrained to do English tutoring) :)

I sprained my ankle and twisted my knee in a 'mountaineering incident' in the French Alps .. so I ended up back in the UK for treatment. So, I'm now limping around with a stick (trying to pretend that I'm Dr House). A university here grabbed me pretty fast and offered me £600 a week to teach English for Academic Purposes to pre-sessional International Students (mostly Chinese) who are enrolled on Undergraduate and Postgraduate programmes starting in September ... So, I'm in the wrong country, but at least I'm earning money while I heal up.

I have been to Montenegro 2 years ago and absolutely loved ıt. Thıs ıs a country ı could easıly lıve ın permanently. Fıendly peopleş good foodş awesome ancıent towns. Beautıful!!
I am an South Afrıcan currently ın Istanbulş hopefully ı wıll be goıng there agaın thıs summer..
Kıeksıe

Hi Ryan,

My name is Andrew, a new member to this board.  Was curious if you had found any openings in MNE and if not, where might you be teaching now?  I am always seeking out new opportunities and yours was the first post that came up when I googled "Teaching English in Montenegro".  Hope to hear from you!

Hi Andrew

I never received ANY responses from ANY of the schools I wrote to in MN. After I had that accident I ended up teaching back in the UK (both at a local university and at Inlingua). I soon got bored of the latter, it was a nice enough place but the money was junk (by UK cost of living standards you couldn't afford to live on it). Also, I was constantly getting groups of younger teenage italians, spanish, russian, german, japanese etc etc etc ... and that's not what I trained to do. Now I'm on a PhD programme (in UK) - so my MN dreams are on hold. I wish you well though :)

Ryan

Ryan
Did you get anywhere in your search?
I plan to move to MNE in the early summer 2013 - and the plan is to do some TEFL work.
I've been a teacher for 25+ years - but just moving into TEFL to widen the horizons.

Already have a house in MNE - near to Hercig Novi.
Are you in MNE now?
Brian

I'm looking for an English teacher in Risan, Kotor  HN

Brian,
I live in Risan, and I want to speak English. Herceg Novi is not very far away)) Sergey . badikov @ g mail . com

Sergey
Thanks for your post. I am looking to move to Hercig Novi in April and would be very happy to teach you. I travel to Montenegro on 31st March for one week and would be very pleased to meet up with you during that week. (You are right that Rizan is not too far!)

Please can you write back and let's discuss how and where to meet up and what you would like to achieve.

Brian

Brian

I will be very happy to meet. Fix the time and place. You are limited in their dealings week, I do not. 38269753663. But over the phone please speak slowly in English)) Russian and Serbian I know well

Sergey

Sergey

I was pleased to get your reply. It will be easier to make our plans using this blog or,  if you like, to email. My email is [email protected]     This means we don't need to worry about understanding on the phone.

I lived in Moscow for two years, but have only basic Russian skills.

Perhaps I can meet you in Kotor on Tuesday 2nd March? 

Brian

Brian,

Excellent. I'm ready. This is tomorrow!
Specify the time and place in Kotor.

Sergey

Brian

I sent e-mail for you

Sergey

Well glad someone fixed something :) I'm still in UK doing my doctorate - and will be for the next 3-4 years. After that - who knows :D

Hi, Brian!

I run English courses in Ukraine, but dream to move to MN and start some business there. Are you in MN already? What are your plans for future?

Regards, Helen.