Retiring to Panama

Hi. I am a new member.  My husband and I plan to retire to Central America, next year.  Panama is are first choice. We have a small retirement income, and are seeking a quiet, fairly small costal town to rent a small home. Any suggestions?

Read Mizzou's trip report on Pedasi and see if renting in that area is what you're looking for.  Many people enjoy the solitude.  Las Tablas and Chitre are close enough when you need them.

Thank you Sawman for your reply.  We will definitely check-out that area.

Hi:

I'm thinking about retiring in Panama, but I definitely don't want to be idle. Should I live on the outskirts of the Panama City, so that I can have affordable and nice apartments, have access to entertainment and services and more job availability in the city. If not, where would you recommend? Any ideas about nice, but not lavish apartments? Do you drive a car there or take a driver?

Sorry for so many questions and thank you for your help.

Sherry

That's something you really have to do on your own.  Plan your trip well, Panama City, beach and mountain areas.  Then, go back home and really think about it.  While the ideal sounds great it is a grave decision so visit as long as possible before you make the move.  I visited Panama for 3 weeks, one in the City, beach, mountains and got really bored and returned to the city early, which there is so much more to do.

Job? If you need a job you need to research this. It's not easy for foreigners to work in Panama. You can have your own business, but getting a job isn't easy and the pay won't be anything like what you are used to in the US.

Panama City is different from the rest of Panama. It's a big international city, expensive, and the traffic is bad (worse at the moment because of construction for the metro in addition to the usual construction problems and heavy traffic) But, it also has everything that a big city offers, so maybe it would be good for you. Most people recommend that you avoid driving there because of the crazy traffic. If I were young and full of energy I might enjoy living in Panama City, but definitely not at my age.

Of course, the best way to find out if it's for you is to come and spend some time!

Kris

ssoloevent wrote:

Hi:

I'm thinking about retiring in Panama, but I definitely don't want to be idle. Should I live on the outskirts of the Panama City, so that I can have affordable and nice apartments, have access to entertainment and services and more job availability in the city. If not, where would you recommend? Any ideas about nice, but not lavish apartments? Do you drive a car there or take a driver?

Sorry for so many questions and thank you for your help.

Sherry