Nice Budget Housing

Does anyone know of any nice budget housing in downtown Jakarta one room studio or something?

Housing or apartment. How much is your budget? Downtown Jakarta is a very large part of the city. A few more specifics will help.

Someone has posted today that he has an apartment in Jakarta but not in downtown. Please check.[

Mattais wrote:

Does anyone know of any nice budget housing in downtown Jakarta one room studio or something?

Hi ! I  own a two bedroom, fully furnished apartment in West Jakarta.
It is Rp. 7.000.000,- nett/month, fully furnished (including subscription to cable tv), high floor with the view to  the swimming pools. 

It is a favorable choice for many expat pilots for its connecting highway to the airport. (More less 15mins to airport).

If you are interested to stay at Season City,please contact me. I can send you the photos and facilities of the apartment and any other info you'd

Enjoy Jakarta :)

HanaLee wrote:

It is Rp. 7.000.000,- nett/month, fully furnished (including subscription to cable tv), high floor with the view to  the swimming pools.

Harga bule.

When trying to find a place to live, assume you have a local salary; maybe 7 million/month.
Try to think in local terms when you rent.

I don't know the prices in the centre of Jakarta but I do know, most locals wouldn't even consider that price.

My advice - Take a wander around housing estates and look for "rumah desewa" signs.
Same goes for google searches: "rumah desewa ".

Next up - Get an Indonesian friend to make the call for you and make sure they get the price before you show your whiter than average face.
That way, it's too late for the owner to try to rip you off on price or it's very obvious if they do so you can walk away.

In BSD, you can get a house in a secured estate for around 20 million per year but I would expect central Jakarta to be a little more expensive.

As for furnishings - cheaper than a month's rent at 7 million/month.

7 million is way too expensive. The apartments around Central Park are cheaper and they are in a better location. They offer free cable TV and internet.  Best check around before agreeing to anything.

Maybe you can be more specific about your budget, though accomodation downtown is never cheap. If you want you can live in "exlusive kost" for around 3-4 million a month/ pay monthly. If your budget is a little higher, you can check out Sudirman Park since their rent for 1 BR apartments is around 6-7 mio a month/ usually 6 months in advance + 1 month deposit.

As for Season city, 7 mio is waaay overpriced and considering the traffic, its waay too far from downtown. Mediterania Residences are much better and for 1 bedroom will be cheaper, they are located just next to Central Park mall in Grogol. Not too far from downtown.

Lastly, you can check out this site to see prices www.sewa-apartment.net or if you want to see some kost you can check www.kostjakarta.com

The best of luck.

the rental price around kuningan quite high...for example at rasuna  area  1 bedroom starting 5mill/month ..its depending on size and furniture inside...also whether is it included service charge or not..tv cable or not. Some unit might already all in.
Mostly they require min 6month

7 million/month NETT is an average for this apartment.

since we are in an expat forum, it is a 'bule' price - since bules' electricity and water use are generally higher than the locals.
(i assume it's the heat in Jakarta. expats tend to turn the AC on for 24/7.)

my average electricity/water cost on my bule tenants are Rp. 1.300.000-/month until 2million. and then maintenance fee itself is Rp. 500.000-.
So really the rent fee alone is just Rp. 5.000.000- or below.

it is not bad if you are a pilot/flight attendants who constantly commute to the Jakarta airport. many of them are happy with it.
if you are not a pilot/flight attendants though, there are lots of better choices closer to the downtown.

Outrageous but all too common in outlook. I hate it when I am labelled bule it makes the speaker sound rude and uneducated and clearly willing to rip off any one different to them. Personally I would rather stay in my house where the ac does run all day for my child and pay 400k a month for electricity and 190k for water and thats for 5 of us.

I cant see you getting any takers with your attitude but thank you for your honesty.

I'm sorry you took it that way. Maybe I am uneducated and wasn't aware that the term could raise such negative feelings. i was only saying it in reply to "Mas Fred" who said 'harga bule'in the previous comment.
but I certainly did not mean it to be rude or generalizing 'bules'.

Not my intention to rip off, it is a true fact to my experience that the expats renting my apartment do charge much higher in electricity. and most of them prefer to pay everything at one time and gets everything taken care of (electricity water & maintenance fees). Hence the 7mil/month NETT rate.
Some of them prefer to pay the maintenance/electricity separately though. in this case the rate would be 5mil/mo.

i mean..i'm only giving an info about my apartment. if it's the one for you please contact me. if not there are many other choices out there for your more preferred budget and location. None rudeness or offense intended.

No worries, but do remember that the majority of people here who use the site are from overseas and so your message will instantly turn them off from contacting you. I lived in an apartment for 3 years and I understand the pricing of electricity and water differs from other places and also the need for maintenance.

I do wish you luck with your renting but choose your words wisely when describing your potential customers.

lukereg wrote:

Outrageous but all too common in outlook. I hate it when I am labelled bule it makes the speaker sound rude and uneducated and clearly willing to rip off any one different to them. Personally I would rather stay in my house where the ac does run all day for my child and pay 400k a month for electricity and 190k for water and thats for 5 of us.

I cant see you getting any takers with your attitude but thank you for your honesty.

I found it more than a bit patronising as well.
This "Bule" pays around 300k in electricity and doesn't bother running the AC all day.
My water runs at far less, 120,000/month.

Of course, that's just for the three of us.

The lesson to learn is simple; don't rent places at stupid prices when you can easily get far cheaper that are just as good.

I did a lot of research on the internet for housing in Indonesia, and there are far more better choices and cheaper houses, apartments, pavilion or kosts than what agents offer you.

It would also help if you have a local friend to help you negotiate about the price, since a lot of Indonesians are using "bule price" To foreigners - by the way, it means they increase the price for foreigners. Its bad, I know. I'm ashame of it.

Anyways, goodluck finding one and welcome to Jakarta!

Don't be surprised to find 'harga bule' everywhere else too - even at many hotels and entertainment places. The number of hotels and entertainment places here are  adopting different rates for services for local and foreign customers has been growing since the economic crisis hit the country in 1997.  Even major ones like Kempinski.

Agreed with SophieFisher, do not deal with agents (like me), go to direct owners and get a local friend to help you negotiate if you want to get a local price. And Do not take it personally. the dual pricing should be seen as the struggle of Indonesians to get more income during the economic crisis, because most foreigners have higher purchase than the majority of the locals.