Voluntary Work

Hello,

My name is Chris and I have been living in the Seychelles, Mahe, since December, 2012.  I am would love to do some voluntary work while I'm here but I am finding it difficult to find organisations etc that need volunteers.

Prior to coming to the Seychelles I worked on a voluntary basis in Jamaica for two and a half years.  The various projects I worked on were:

A literacy programme for Grade 4 children in the WROC (Women's Resource & Outreach Centre), Kingston.

CDA (Child Development Agency) - very specific work in state children's homes (administration)

Griffin Charitable Trust - working on various projects including interaction with foster children.  Preparing and editing fund raising proposals.

Digicel Foundation:  Various projects with schools and some administration work.

If anyone has any information or knows of any organisations that need volunteers could you please let me know.

Many thanks :)

Chris

Hi Chris,

I suggest you post an ad or your resume in the Volunteering in the Seychelles section please as it might help :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Thank you Maximilien, I will do that :cool:

Hi Chris!
Are you a resident or on a GOP? I was told by a lawyer you need a GOP to do volunteer work. Even if you don't get any remuneration.
There is a Lion's and Round Table active here and then you can also go to your local orphanage and ask there - you might need to be fluent in French if you are not already in Creole

Thanks expatinsez,

That information is very helpful.  I am here with my husband and we have a GOP .... unfortunately I don't speak french or Creole!!

Regards

Chris :shy

Hi Chris!
I meant Creole or French if you want to get involved with the orphanages - I find that the older nuns don't speak any English at all.
If you are interested in learning Creole (for your own sake, not for working) the department of education offer classes. They are in Mont Fleuri to the left of the University (going towards town).

Mee too want to volentier my self to do that job..u can search and find it at non govemntal oraganization NGO they have alot of thing to do as a volentier..or organized by united nation...

Thank you very much Walker, I will check that out! :)

Hi Expatinsez, thanks for that information, I will be away for a couple of weeks and will check it out when I get back..