Considering relocating to Barbados for few years

Hi,

I am considering relocating to Barbados for few years. I have few questions :

How hard will it be to get a staying visa for a period longer then 3 months ?
How reliable is the internet (5 MB and up ) ?
where is the best area in Barbados to live  ? - I am very social, looking for a nice area, with a mixture of educated locals and ex-pats, lively with coffees, restaurants and bars, and a nice beach around is a must :-)

I am planning to tour few islands on January 2014 before choosing the one. Will be happy to meet for a drink and pick your brain while visiting (drinks are on me :-)

have a great day

Yaron

Hi Yaron!

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

Is it best to buy furniture in Barbados or ship your own from England . Trying to weigh up both options  cost wise. Any ideas?

Hi,
I moved to Barbados from Canada last year and I decided to bring all my household goods including car with me. Although it did cost a lot of duty in my case it was worth it. If you want to do your homework you have to come down here, get pricing on furniture/household goods and car and compare it with the cost of shipping/duty. I did a lot of footwork before making my decision. Also you have to get information from the government/immigration department on how they handle your residency/work permit. If you are retired and have an income from England, and don't need to work, you don't need a  permit but if you want to stay longer than 3 or 6 month you need a residency permit. Otherwise you have to fly back and forth every so often.

Hi
Thanks for that.
Yes I am retired so will be seeking  residency.
Thanks once again