Introduction

Good morning.

My name is Ronel.  We are South African from Gauteng and are actually Afrikaans speaking.

My husband found a job in Lubumbashi in November 2012.  I joined him in December 2012.

We are in our mid 40's, and do not have any family or friends here.

I would realy like to meet new friends around here and find out what they are doing.

I would especially like to meet french speaking friends (who also understand English) as I am trying to master the language.

Hi  RonelBekker,

Welcome to expat-blog!

Wish you load of new contacts. :)

Thank you,

David.

Ronel,

We, too, are moving to Lulumbashi. Given that your post is so new, but according to it, you've been there for 8 months, I hope you were able to find something.

We are from US, also in our 40s, but have extensive overseas travel/experience. Michael is fluent French speaker. I am linguistically capable at Spanish, French, and ho-hum in Korean.

We'd love to meet other expats and gain insight as to how they overcame unforeseen obstacles. For instance, when we moved to Zambia I was taken aback by the lack of rainfall, limited clothing stores, locating a hairdresser for Caucasians (only found the one), and general culture shock. After a little while, we acclimated, and missed it when we returned to US. So this time I've already made a "must-bring" list. However, we don't know what the availability of personal hygiene products, bathroom accessories, etc. we will encounter. Music? TV? Cell phone service provider and rates? Generators?

Don't hesitate to contact us. We'd love to chat.

Michael and Andrea

Hi Ronel, Michael and Andrea,

I have been in L'shi for a little over a month and have looked for expat social groups, but in vain. I am hoping to put together a social soon as I have found similar interest from expats from other such blogs/forums.

Requesting you to drop me an email at [email protected] with your contact numbers and we could take it from there.

Regards
Amritha