Private pilots and planes

My wife and I will be moving to Salinas and I was wondering if there are any expats that have a small plane in Ecuador? what are the regulations and how is the availability of airfields for private planes in Ecuador?
Thanks for any input..Bill (part of cecebill)

I was thinking about bringing a plane here, but until now it stayed in Florida. Few things to consider: there is no free flying in Ecuador, every(!) flight must have an approved flight plan, which takes a few hours to approve, but still... It is not much cheaper to maintain the plane here, although you'd be able to get away without some routine maintenance procedures. Airport are far from free here, and gas has no government subsidiary, so if I'm not mistaken, it is around $7 a gallon. One thing I was thinking about is to buy a land and build a strip... I don't know, still undecided...

I would like to fly my plane to Ecuador
WHo do I contact to get permission ?
Thanks for any help

To all who have contributed to this blog:  Please give me info on my questions on relocating here and flying.  My wife and I are looking at the Salinas area, however will again travel the country.  I like the idea of building a private field.

We have lived in Salinas now for 10 months.If you would like to email me with your questions at [email protected] I will try to help answer them for you.

Hello all,

The big deal about planes here is foreigners are not allowed to import planes as part of personal belongings.

So, you will have to buy one here but... I don't know of any place in Ecuador you can buy one.

I only saw few private planes here, mostly at the coast and they belong to wealthy rice or cane farmers who need to get to remote areas.

Vinny

Vinny,

This is disheartening that we cannot import an aircraft.  There is always a way in most problems encountered in life.  In most countries of Spanish history--it depends on "palanca" -  Political influence/clout.

Brian

Richard,
Did you complete your planned flt to Ecuador?  If so, any problems encountered. 

Brian

Interested in part-time retirement in S.Am.  I don't know the likelihood of bring a plane down with me.
Bjorn

I see only a few posts, is this blog active?
Bjorn

I have only been to central America, Columbia and Ecuador
Those countries seem to be GA friendly

Yes, Bjorn, you have revived this thread after two years of inactivity.

We're guessing that Richard's "GA" refers to general aviation .. and not the state of Georgia or the Kwa language spoken in Ghana.

cccmedia in Quito

Here's the home web page for the general aviation authority in Ecuador, Dirección General de Aviación Civil (DGAC)

http://www.aviacioncivil.gob.ec/

Their contact information is at the bottom of the page.  If you click on 'Contacto' which appears at the top and the bottom of the page it will take you to another page where you can submit a question to them.  It's all in Spanish, of course.

It may be possible to get some information by contacting these companies operating in Ecuador:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/internat … uador.html

You can also try the Baja Bush Pilots website for links to DGAC forms for central and some south american countries in English

Good day:

See........that's the thing. You can't get a License there without Spanish.
What you can do is, bring in a plane Registered elsewhere as long as it
leaves Ecuador every 30 days. Then...you can use another Country's
Pilot License .