Got a job offer in Jakarta... Hit me with the highs and lows!

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum. I recently got offered a teaching job in Jakarta and literally know nothing about the city. I was originally planning to move to Thailand to teach and live in bangkok. As such, I had researched bangkok and thai culture like crazy and have learned a great deal about it. So, my question is this: what is good and bad about life in Jakarta? Positive and negative? Is it anything like bangkok? How do they compare? Is Jakarta dangerous?

Thus far I have gathered that the traffic is horrendous, the pollution is ungodly, and you can't get in the water within 10 miles of the city. On the flip side, I have heard that the people are amazing, the food is incredible, and it is relatively inexpensive to live there.

I am weighing out my decision and could use some info so fire away!

Its as crazy with the traffic, noise and pollution as Bangkok thats for sure. Being an Islamic country the amount of bars and places to go gets reduced and all the bars are over priced due to the taxes put on alcohol.
Jakarta is lacking green space and fresh air however for me it is a vibrant and exciting place to be and I enjoy living here.
Close to Jakarta are the thousand islands (a boat ride away) and you can be in Bali in just over 1.5 hours, Belitung in 50 minutes  if you want to fly. There are many options.
Indonesia does not have the transport links or the investment in tourism like Thailand so there is a world of difference.
Having travelled both and stayed in both, I would say, on the whole Indonesia has a lot more to offer in terms of beauty, nature, exploration and sheer culture.

But as they say, the choice is yours....

Accurmi wrote:

and literally know nothing about the city.

my question is this: what is good and bad about life in Jakarta?

Is Jakarta dangerous?

Thus far I have gathered that the traffic is horrendous, the pollution is ungodly, and you can't get in the water within 10 miles of the city. On the flip side, I have heard that the people are amazing, the food is incredible, and it is relatively inexpensive to live there.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 573#527221 will tell you a lot.

The traffic is terrible, live near where you work.
The pollution is smelly at best and rubbish clogs the rivers
Don't even think about swimming in a river unless you like green patchy skin.
The people, in general, are fantastic
The food is way better than incredible
It's dirt cheap to live here unless you toss money around as if it's going out of fashion.
It is safe as long as you don't do daft things.

Your job should pay not less than Rp20 million/month, more if you're well qualified/experienced
Never get a place to live that's priced in US$

You can also read this thread to get the idea of living in the Big Durian https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=133795&p=2

-Traffis is horrible, so yes, live close to your working place is very recommended. Walking distance is better.
-The food here is cheap and there are plenty to choose from, different cuisine from all over Indonesia and the world. You can find almost everything.
-People there are friendly, so smile  alot :-)
-So many beautiful places to go to all around Indonesia. You'd never get bored.

And mas Fred is right, dont settle for less than 20 mio IDR if you're a qualified teacher.
They also usually provide you with a decent accomodation.

Goodluck! :-)

Good to hear! Well, if the job offer is still on the table, I am most likely going to accept. What I have heard thus far makes Jakarta sound like a very fun and interesting place to live. I don't think money will be an issue as I will be making around USD$2,000 per month with all of my living expenses (apartment and utilities) covered by my employer. Hopefully I will be able to save some of this as well. Does that sound like a decent amount to live on? I really know very little about the cost of living in Jakarta. But if it is anything like most southeast Asian countries, it is quite cheap.

I just started my asignment in Jakarta a month ago. Keep asking myself what I have got myself into. The traffic is really bad...I just waited for 4 hours today to get a taxi back from office to hotel after heavy rain.

Plus:
- People
- Shopping
- Food

Negative
- Traffic
- Frequent flood
- Water filter system
- Food is nice but uncooked food may cause food poisoning if you have weak stomach.
- Sound pollution
- Air pollution.

Momiji wrote:

I just started my asignment in Jakarta a month ago. Keep asking myself what I have got myself into. The traffic is really bad...I just waited for 4 hours today to get a taxi back from office to hotel after heavy rain.

Plus:
- People
- Shopping
- Food

Negative
- Traffic
- Frequent flood
- Water filter system
- Food is nice but uncooked food may cause food poisoning if you have weak stomach.
- Sound pollution
- Air pollution.

agreed 100%

You'll be on about 10 times minimum wage.
Unless you like the bars, you'll save at least half of it without even considering the cost of things you buy.

So, I have read that Jakarta's tap water quality is such that one cannot even brush their teeth with it. Is this true?

Accurmi wrote:

So, I have read that Jakarta's tap water quality is such that one cannot even brush their teeth with it. Is this true?

I never risk it and Aqua (the local top quality bottled water) is so cheap, it hardly matters.

the tap water is not drinkable,.
for brushing teeth OK,. the quality itself is really depends on from where the water came from and where you live.

for upstate apartment or serviced-condo,. the quality is actually good the sanitation system is great. with 2000USD. you can save a lot. if you settle for less.

learn to talk in indonesian might be great
and sing it...

lets go to the mall,..

You can not find such lovely and friendly people as Indonesians perhaps anywhere else in the world.. Your salary is more than enough considering the cheap life here.. you can eat at a normal restaurant with plenty of food around 3 US dollars..  in cheap restaurants it may cost 1.5 US dollars.. If you became used to of using public transport then you can save more than half of your salary.. But some parts of the city does smell very bad as it is a overly populated city.. Jakarta is not Not good for tourism perhaps.. but you can visit on weekends nearby Bandung or Bogor which are more or less 2 hours drive from Jakarta and can visit mountains and other natural wonders of Indonesia..

Born and bred in Jakarta, I'm way too jaded!

But, most people who came here love it, and there are silver linings in everything :)

Pro:
- People
Generally nice and welcoming, will be glad to help you in most cases or want to be your friend.

- Food
Cheap most of the time, lots of variety if you choose to get something fancier.

- Chaotic
Always changing, very fluid, never sleeps (except in Ramadhan :P) You'll learn to adapt and be very flexible. Some sees this as a con.

-Coffee
No need to say more.. best coffees around :) slightly expensive (3-4 bucks for a good cup) but worth it.

Cons:
- Alcohol (so expensive.)
- Traffic. Oh god the traffic.
- Pollution
- Public transportion:
Not too efficient, but still doable. Take TransJakarta for buses (called busway) or Commuter trains. Stay away from Kopajas or Metrominis if you're a caucasian though, lots of thugs who will push you for money inside (they do this to locals too) ;) Opt for 'ojeks' instead.

- Cleanliness : most of the time very dirty, depending where you are. But generally, dirty...

- Roads not friendly to pedestrians/not many parks around.

The rest you'll have to experience yourself ;) Enjoy your stay.

The lowest thing is that 40% of Jakarta is below  sea level and sinking fast...

Pro: Public toilets are super clean!! So clean it still shocks me every time I go!  There is always someone cleaning them at least twice very hour!

Just be patient is the best way if you're in the street...cause the traffic is bad and almost every day

I've been living in few countries and traveled massively.
Basically Jakarta minus traffic then all great!
Chin up! there is always a way to deal with it

Avoid to travel or please use motor bike ride (ojek) to travel 7 - 9 am and 4-8 pm. If u plan to date or meet friends always try to put on weekend as the traffic reduce by 70% than weekdays

Air poluttion is high due to number of cars/motor bike but dont worry Jakarta is at seaside so the pollution is not really stuck in the city but rather circulate and yes Beijing poluttion is much worse! noise poluttion can be high so choose apartement that not straigthly facing main street plent of them!

It is cheap cheap cheap city as long you know where to go and hangout with right people with some local knowledge some clubs/bars can be really expensive but there are plenty cheap good clubs/bars too