Questions - Seychelles

Hi, I have some questions about the seychelles.

Might be living there in the future and have read lots of things online.....so here are some questions in no particular order:

1. What would an average salary be for an expat in order to survive in the seychelles, say for food, transport and utility bills? Accomodation would be provided

2. Is a car really necessary? they appear to be very expensive? also to rent?

3. Is it really that difficult to shop for food? Is it true that chicken and milk are not readily available and very hard and expensive to find?

4. Is social life really that bad? Is there any sporting activities to participate in like for example is there a gym that you can sign up to and not too expensive?

5. Is it true that you have better prices as a resident?

6. Can you use different hotel resources like swimming pools etc?

7. Is crime bad and the drug problem? How is safety?

8. If you want to get away everything seems so far away and expensive, what options does one have to get away for say a weekend?

How does the internet work, I dont really undesrtand the different packages...it is expensive and quite limited is this true? and can you get internet on your mobile or is that not available in the seychelles?

thanks these are my questions at the moment!

Hello CHakala, would be good if you did an introduction first.
I'm surprised, you got some really bad information from your source. Let me break it down for you.

chalaka wrote:

1. What would an average salary be for an expat in order to survive in the seychelles, say for food, transport and utility bills? Accomodation would be provided

Average including transport would be 25000scr, that's around 2300$, but obviously people have more needs than that.

chalaka wrote:

2. Is a car really necessary? they appear to be very expensive? also to rent?

Yes they are expensive, but not a necessity. Public transport reaches nearly all corners of the island and though not perfect they are cheap so you have an alternative method of getting around. Rent varies according to your need (long or short term) and you can settle an arrangement with the provider.

chalaka wrote:

3. Is it really that difficult to shop for food? Is it true that chicken and milk are not readily available and very hard and expensive to find?

Nah, food are in abundance. Note that Seychelles is small, we import everything. There are times there might not be a certain product but that's not the end of the world. Whoever gave the info about Chicken and milk are wrong. They are available in all shops.

chalaka wrote:

4. Is social life really that bad? Is there any sporting activities to participate in like for example is there a gym that you can sign up to and not too expensive?

I just had to laugh, I see you're being feed with way too many wrong information.
As for the question no, social life is ok. There are various clubs, restaurants and bars around the island and all have their own style of food and flavour. You just need to adapt because Clubs and restaurants here don't operate like other countries. Gym are available and there are many of them at decent prices.

chalaka wrote:

5. Is it true that you have better prices as a resident?

That's a debatable issue kindly give me more details...

chalaka wrote:

6. Can you use different hotel resources like swimming pools etc?

Of course yes. If you paid for it why not ?

chalaka wrote:

7. Is crime bad and the drug problem? How is safety?

Not as much, crime has toned down a bit recently. There are cases of petty thefts but that's small.

chalaka wrote:

8. If you want to get away everything seems so far away and expensive, what options does one have to get away for say a weekend?

Not sure I can help on this one be more specific...

chalaka wrote:

How does the internet work, I dont really undesrtand the different packages...it is expensive and quite limited is this true? and can you get internet on your mobile or is that not available in the seychelles?

There are various packages for various usage type, both ISP provides their own so a bit of research would help settle on the right one. Some put data limits and caps and some doesn't, really depend on the Provider you chose. Mobile internet is available.

chalaka wrote:

thanks these are my questions at the moment!

You're welcome...

Hi chalaka,

Welcome to expat-blog!

Please feel free to look at the Seychelles forum, where you may read some useful informations about the Seychelles.

Best of luck :)

David.

Can someone survive on say 21.000 rp a month? if housing is provided?

thanks

chalaka wrote:

Can someone survive on say 21.000 rp a month? if housing is provided?

thanks

Your given currency (21.000) is wrong, are you trying to say 21,000scr ? [twenty one thousand rupees]

If so, yes.

Thanks for all the help!
Ill be moving in summer. Accomodation provided. Wont be buying a car as I dont have the funds, heard its difficult to move around so we ll see how I manage! Will have to rely on the bus...How good or bad is the service?

About internet....I dont udnerstand the packages....Which one will be suitable to internet surfing and using skype etc...? Will the basic boradband lite package from cable and wireless be enough? Do they setup wireless internet at home on this package?

Does anyone have any info on cable tv and how much it costs?

Internet basic broadband package costs 500.....then what would be a suitable mobile phone package? Here is the list:
cwseychelles.com/mobile/postpaid/packages

Is the DATA section the mobile internet? Is there 3G mobile internet to access email from your phone or internet messaging or not?

I heard that if you live and work on Mahe you get a residence card where some prices are lower because you are a resident is that true and what things does it apply to?

thanks for all the help!

chalaka wrote:

Thanks for all the help!
Ill be moving in summer. Accomodation provided. Wont be buying a car as I dont have the funds, heard its difficult to move around so we ll see how I manage! Will have to rely on the bus...How good or bad is the service?

About internet....I dont udnerstand the packages....Which one will be suitable to internet surfing and using skype etc...? Will the basic boradband lite package from cable and wireless be enough? Do they setup wireless internet at home on this package?

Does anyone have any info on cable tv and how much it costs?

Internet basic broadband package costs 500.....then what would be a suitable mobile phone package? Here is the list:
cwseychelles.com/mobile/postpaid/packages

Is the DATA section the mobile internet? Is there 3G mobile internet to access email from your phone or internet messaging or not?

I heard that if you live and work on Mahe you get a residence card where some prices are lower because you are a resident is that true and what things does it apply to?

thanks for all the help!

Sorry for the late reply, hopefully all has been sorted out ?

"I heard that if you live and work on Mahe you get a residence card where some prices are lower because you are a resident is that true and what things does it apply to?"

You pay 300 rupees to get a resident card and you have to show your GOP. It is valid as long as the GOP is valid.

Where the card benefits you is traveling with CatCocos to Praslin and LaDique and flying to the smaller islands.You pay resident rates.  Where entrance fees are charged at National and Historical and Heritage sites in the Seychelles, you might enter for free with your card.
You can also become a member of the library with it.

About Internet:
There are three service providers and each have different packages depending on your needs.
Better when you are here you go yourself to the three providers and let an agent explains the details to you.
Myself I am at Intelvision for the slower connection but it is unlimited. I download music from YouTube and upload photos to Facebook almost every day. Skype is good. I know people complain about the speed but so far it has been good. I uploaded 57 pics today and it took less than 5 minutes. Intelvision is going optic fibre and I am considering taking the faster option as my friends do live streaming of overseas sport programs and television