Moving in Dammam me and my husband

Hii,
Good Morning All.
I and my husband is in electrical field. My husband is finalizing with one company in Dammam. Can anyone tell me the below things.

1) Hows life for woman in Dammam? Can i go alone outside? Is Abaya necessary or I can go outside with my normal dresses? are western cloths allowed there?

2) 3000 Dollar is ok if company is providing accomodation? With that, how much approx. we will able to save?

Regards
Amruta

Hi Amruta, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

Your topic has been introduced as a new thread on the Dammam forum for better networking. I'm sure other members will reply to you soon. :)

I wish you good luck.
Christine

welcome to expat...
1) you not allowed to go outside without Abya .. however if you live in a compound that would a different story ...  otherwise Dammam is close to Bahrain and in Bahrain you can wear a bikini if you want ,,, :D

2) 3000 $ is good salary ..

good luck ... and if you other q im more thn happy to answer it

Hello amumotka,

Of course, you're allowed outside alone! I lived for 8 years in Al Khobar and went for shopping etc. without my husband!

If you're living on a compound you'll be pleased to know that they usually offer transportation for the ladies to go out shopping; else you might want to use limousine services to go out (I however do not recommend taxi services for the ladies).

Regarding clothing, yes you have to wear the abaya and sometimes the muttawa may even ask you to cover your hair.

Cheers
Arlette

I personally feel that Dammam is a bit more congested and crowded. Most expats prefer to live in khobar thats like just 20-30 kms away ( thats around 20 mins max on the highway). Because Khobar is more expatriate friendly. Abhaya yep they are a must. and yeah keep a shawl handy as well, since you never know when thye muttawwa( religious police) will show up! Bahrain is just a bridge away, and you will find clubs, theatres etc there.

Welcome to Saudi arabia! for all thats worth! :D

Hii,

Thanks to all of you for replying.

Just need some help for follwing confusion.

1) Can u please tell me how exactly abaya is? Just to cover the hair or like Burkha?

2) Are female doing job in industry there?

3) Whats is normal monthly expense in dammam / al khobar without accomodation?

Amruta

1) its like a burkha, its black, shapeless and pretty much covers u from neck to toe. and then a shawl to cover ur hair..To actually see whats it like, http://www.ethnicdenim.com/wp-content/u … /abaya.jpg should show u how its normally worn by Muslim females. Now Eastern province is a bit relaxed, and u wouldnt have to cover your head as in the picture.

2) Females jobs, depends on what industry you are qualified in: Medical ys definitely, teaching another yes, administration, well depends on companis.. not all companies have the policy.

3) expenditure.. again depends on how u live, where u live, kids, etc. SHouldnt be more than $1000.. Living is not expensive since petrol, electricity, and the phones are pretty cheap.

Feel free to ask anything more. :)

Cheers,

Hii

But as i heard, Al khobar and Dammam is liberal and only skarf is sufficient just to cover the hair. Is is right?

Amruta

The abaya is compulsory when you go out anywhere in the Kingdom. the Eastern province is a bit relaxed in the sense that you would have to completely cover your hair. Yes it looks kinda uncomfortable, but ask the expat women here, they will tell you that you get used to it quickly.

Cheers

Well dont worry too much about the abaya, its worn over the clothes and you will get used to it. Welcome to Saudi Arabia

Hello

Finally took the decision not to go Dammam. I cant compromise with culture and career too.

Will look for another oppurtunity.

Amruta

HEHEHE.... well the choice is ultimately yours..

Hi Amruta,
Its little late but I want to tell you something abt saudi.

Life is little boring but Saudi is the place where you can feel safe. You can save your money, much better than other country.
women respect except few cases. Western dresses allowed only inside the house, if u wanna wear western and go out then u have to put up the viel (Abaya) so u can be safe from bad eyes too.
I m not sure whats ur husband background but USD 3K is ok I think.

amumotka wrote:

Hii,
Good Morning All.
I and my husband is in electrical field. My husband is finalizing with one company in Dammam. Can anyone tell me the below things.

1) Hows life for woman in Dammam? Can i go alone outside? Is Abaya necessary or I can go outside with my normal dresses? are western cloths allowed there?

2) 3000 Dollar is ok if company is providing accomodation? With that, how much approx. we will able to save?

Regards
Amruta

Hi
Actually you don't have to wear abaya. you just have to cover all your body in any kind of clothes and a scarf for the head is more than enough.
regards

this safest country on earth and u can save alot of money . 3000 is decent amount and after having nice life u can save 1000/ bux month ,, and westernize style is all over in residential areas private gatherings , parties. and compounds. u can shop walk and hang out alobe .. just have tocover body with some decent dress in public. otherwise bikini parties and grathigs are in bahrian and also u can find  here in ur nice social circle ... we are also having nice famly or couples circle.

Hi i am a fresher at your expatblog.
Greetinngs to all involved in it.
My question to you is that , I like to know in short,
if there is any strict dress code and socializing retrictions, prevailing .
in  DAMMAM city , SAUDI ARABIA

as described in  previous posts that in city  and at public places ABAYA is must , but at Residential compounds and social gatherings even u can wear bikini , it just depend on ur culture living environment and social circle .if u have nice and like minded ppl around u ad in ur circle u can wear any thing and u can socialize. as u like

My husband got job in damam he is moving next month.

1.tell me can i move alone or must go with my husband

2.can i do teaching job on visit visa.

3.can i offer tusion class at my home on visit visa

REPLY ME SOON
Thanks

yes u can do job ,, teaching is best respectable job here for ladies. first ur husband will move here then it,ll take almost 3 months to complete all of the  documentation for your visa ...and then even u can travel alone .but first he have to be here .

Is important to have work visa for it?