Foreign husband/wive of Malaysia citizen allow to work in Malaysia

Foreign husbands/wives to Malaysians can be given Visit Pass (social) for a period of 5 years on condition they comply with all the requirements.

They are also allowed to be engaged in any form of paid employment or in any business or professional occupation without converting their social Visit Pass status to Employment Pass or Visit Pass (Temporary employment).

Go to -  http://www.imi.gov.my/index.php/en/serv … -long-term

I heard they don't need to convert their LTSVP when starting a new job, but they would need to stamp it. Any confirmation ?

Working permit for Spouse of Malaysian Citizen

• Foreign husband/wife is permitted to work in Malaysia without having to change their Social Visit Pass to Employment Pass with condition of acquiring working approval from the Immigration Department.
      • The approval is in the form of endorsement and be given on the passport/travel document.
      • The endorsement is given without fee (gratis).
      • The endorsement entitled the holder to work in any legal profession.
      • The application for the endorsement can be made at the Visa, Pass and Permit Division Immigration Head Quarters or at the nearest states Immigration offices.
      • The permit can be applied at any time after or during the submission of the Social visit pass.
      • Application letter together with a copy of letter of appointment/company registration evidence, marriage certificate and valid long term social visit pass are required for the approval consideration.

Thanks for the clarifications :)

You're welcome Expatypus!

hello I need some help

Did the foreign spouse of a Malaysian citizen can open a business ? or need the Permanent Resident for that ? Is there a way for spouse to protect what they own from the husband if something just turn bad ?

Thank you for your answers ^^
Pit

Hi Pit,

Foreign spouses of Malaysia citizens who meet the conditions set by the Immigration Department of Malaysia can register a business/company. As for last question, I would advise you to consult a lawyer.

Thank you joegudman !

When you say "the conditions set by the Immigration Department " did you mean the same conditions to optain a long term social visa pass ?

By the way, if I understand correctly the process now for the foreign spouse of a malay national is after marriage registration :

1. Asking long term social visit pass of 5 years. Who give her the capacity to work and to open a business aswell.

2. After 5 years, she can ask an entry permit

3. Once she got the entry permit then she can ask for permanent resident and wait wait wait ....

Did i am right ?

Regards

Hi Pit,

Answer to question no. 1 - Terms and conditions

1.    The marriage is legally under the respective Malaysia Laws.
2.    The applicant is eligible to be given a long term Social Visit Pass or has already been issued such a pass as a foreign husband and wife to Malaysia.
3.    The respective employment or business or professional occupation does not contravene any law or regulation in Malaysia.
4.    The permission to engage in paid employment or business or professional occupation must be endorsed on the applicant's passport by the Director General Of Immigration, Malaysia or any authorized Immigration officer.
5.    The applicant has fulfilled all requirements as specified by the Director General of Immigration, Malaysia for the Social Visit Pass to him/her as a husband or wife of a Malaysian and for the purpose of endorsing permission for him/her to be engaged in paid employment or business or professional occupation.

Procedure

1.    Application can be made at Visa, Pass and Permit Division, Immigration Department of Malaysia (Headquarters) or at any State Immigration Office.
2.    Application can be submitted together with the application for a Social Visit Pass or after the Social Visit Pass has been issued.
Required supporting documents :-
i. Marriage Certificate;
ii.Offer Letter from Company/Government Agency or Business/Company's registration.

Fees

.    No fees are charged for such endorsement of permission to work/business.
.    Fees are only for social visit pass and visa (if related)

Answer to question no. 2 - A: An entry Permit is a document (IMM.5) issued under section 4 of the Immigration Regulations 1959/63. An entry Permit enables the holder to enter and stay in Malaysia without any limit of time, and the holder is then given a Permanent Resident status. Once your wife has obtained Entry Permit, she can apply for the Identification Card at the National Registration Department. An approval of the Entry Permit is the prerogative of the Government of Malaysia and is considered the highest award given by the government to foreigner who has fulfilled all the requirements. As such, there is no time frame for an Entry Permit's approval. The issue of an EP is not a right but a privilege.

Answer to question no. 3 - You must reside in Malaysia for a continuous period not less than 5 years under a valid Entry Permit preceding the date of your application for a permanent resident status.

Where the husband is a foreigner of a citizen of Malaysia, such person will have to reside in Malaysia for a continuous period not less than 10 years under a valid Entry Permit preceding the date of your application for a permanent resident status.

To apply for the permanent resident status, you have to bring along your travel document or passport for the pass years to the Visa, Permit and Pass Division of the Immigration Department of Malaysia.

The immigration officer will inform you of your eligibility to apply for a permanent resident status and the supporting documents you have to submit with your application, where applicable.

Basically you must submit the following documents for the application of a permanent resident status :

Form IMM. 4 (select permanent resident status category)
Photostat Passport or travel document of applicant in the last 5 years
2 photographs of applicant measuring 3.5cm x 5.0cm
Photograph of local sponsor measuring 3.5cm x 5.0cm
Identity card of spouse (if applicable)
Marriage certificate (if applicable)
Other supporting documents
The Form IMM. 4 can be obtained from the counter of the Immigration Department of Malaysia at the cost of RM$1.00 each.

Even though you may have fulfilled all the conditions, your application may still be rejected if the government is not satisfied with your application.

You may have to submit a new application if you are still interested to be a permanent resident of Malaysia.

they said 5yrs... but everytime i went to extend my visit pass, they said max 1 yr..... the 5yrs regulation is no longer valid :(

Hi chsilvi,

Announcement

Last Updated (Tuesday, 18 May 2010 22:34)

Foreign husbands/wives to Malaysians can be given Visit Pass (social) for a period of 5 years on condition they comply with all the requirements. They are also allowed to be engaged in any form of paid employment or in any business or professional occupation without converting their social Visit Pass status to Employment Pass or Visit Pass (Temporary employment).

This is the latest update.

I am unable to locate the criteria for obtaining the 5 year visit pass. And in order to become a Malaysian resident/citizen, foreign husbands would need to stay in Malaysia for a minimum of 10 years? This is absurd!

Hello All ,
I need clear clarification on rules regarding whether
It is allowed to work for my wife on Dependent visa ?

Myself an Indian , petrochemical engineer, currently working in Netherland. I found a job in a malaysian company. which is going to apply for 2 years work visa for me and a dependent visa for my wife.

now in this situation does my wife allowed to find an employment in malaysia ?

i am not able to understand whether the EXPATRIATE term included skilled Indiands ?
wiating for your clarification.

Hello RahulKL,

General Statement

Last Updated (Wednesday, 25 November 2009 21:46)

Who are classified as Expatriate

Foreigners who are qualified to fulfill the following positions :

a. Key Post

# Top Managerial Post of a foreign owned company operating in Malaysia.

# Responsible to look after the company's interests and investments.

# Responsible in determining the company's policies and goals.

b. Executive Post

# Professional/Middle  Managerial Post.

# Required academic and working experience, practical skills related to the respective jobs.

# Responsible in implementing the company's policies and supervision toward the junior staff.

c. Non-Executive Post

# Highly skilled

# Require working experience and technical skills related to the respective jobs.

Have a great day.

Hello RahulKL,

Working conditions for Dependant Pass holder

Husband/Wife of Expatriate Officer holding Dependant Passes are permitted to work without having to change their Dependant Passes to Employment Passes with condition of acquiring working approval from the Immigration Department.

Terms and conditions

i. Job Offer from any companies/Government Agencies

ii. Prior approval from approving agencies such as: MIDA, MDEC, Bank Negara, Securities Commission, Public Services Department.

iii. Those without approval from any agencies, application are subjected to conditions as laid down by the Expatriate Committee.

Procedures - Work Permit by Endorsement

a. Application can be submitted at the Employment Pass Division of the Immigration Headquarter Putrajaya or nearest Immigration Office in any states.

b. Application for Work Permit by Endorsement can be submitted on approval of Dependant Pass or after its issuance.

c. Supporting documents for application:

i. Covering letter and authority letter from the company.

ii. DP11 Form

iii. Job offer or Employment Contract

iv. Complete photocopies of passport.

No Fees Charged/Gratis

Hello roysterqu,

Long Term Social Visit Pass

Last Updated (Tuesday, 18 May 2010 22:45)

Long Term Social Visit Pass

Long term social visit pass may be issued to a foreigner for temporary stay in Malaysia for a period of not less than six months. Extension can be given based on the eligibility and fulfilling the required conditions.

Foreign husbands/wives to Malaysians can be given Visit Pass (social) for a period of 5 years on condition they comply with all the requirements.

They are also allowed to be engaged in any form of paid employment or in any business or professional occupation without converting their social Visit Pass status to Employment Pass or Visit Pass (Temporary employment).

Terms and conditions

1.     The marriage is legally under the respective Malaysia Laws.
2.     The applicant is eligible to be given a long term Social Visit Pass or has already been issued such a pass as a foreign husband and wife to Malaysia.
3.     The respective employment or business or professional occupation does not contravene any law or regulation in Malaysia.
4.     The permission to engage in paid employment or business or professional occupation must be endorsed on the applicant's passport by the Director General Of Immigration, Malaysia or any authorized Immigration officer.
5.     The applicant has fulfilled all requirements as specified by the Director General of Immigration, Malaysia for the Social Visit Pass to him/her as a husband or wife of a Malaysian and for the purpose of endorsing permission for him/her to be engaged in paid employment or business or professional occupation.

An entry Permit is a document (IMM.5) issued under section 4 of the Immigration Regulations 1959/63. An entry Permit enables the holder to enter and stay in Malaysia without any limit of time, and the holder is then given a Permanent Resident status. Once you obtained Entry Permit, you can apply for the Identification Card at the National Registration Department.

An approval of the Entry Permit is the prerogative of the Government of Malaysia and is considered the highest award given by the government to foreigner who has fulfilled all the requirements. As such, there is no time frame for an Entry Permit's approval.

Please note that it is a PRIVILEGE and NOT A RIGHT to be awarded Permanent Resident status!

Have a great day.

Hi Joegudman... I believe you are indeed a subject matter expert when it comes to this topic - hence being able to provide all facts relevant to this. Kudos!

Well, I'm actually Malaysian citizen married to a Singaporean for a good 4 years plus now & we're blessed with 2 kids - both Malaysian. We have a fair share of ordeals & obstacles from the very start we wanted to apply a social visa right up to this day where my husband has been given a 1-yr renewable social visa. And yes, his passport is now endorsed by immigration to work in a sole proprietorship business owned by me where he runs full time as a so-called Operation Manager.

However, I feel that the kind of money that he makes from that company is barely meeting ends meet so I'm highly considering of him to join the work force.

Maybe if you have some information to share with us on how I can get him to seek employment in a corporate industry perhaps? He has a degree in Business Administration, and it has been quite some time since he last work for a company since all along he has a few business joint-ventures so to speak but never really took off as planned.

Hope you could enlighten me on this. Thanks!:)

The information which is written in   
http://www.imi.gov.my/index.php/en/serv … -long-term
regarding wife of malaysian can work is not accurate. I just gone through a very difficult situation cause we got married for a year, and my wife wanted to work.

We are stayin in Sabah. She is a UK graduate with Master in Pharmacist with a year working experiance in UK.She passed all the Malaysia forensic exam and she got a letter offer from a pharmacist firm.

We went to immigration so that she can have her passport stamp to work, but instead they said we need to go to Jabatan Ketua Menteri for their approval, which is not mentioned in the website! and, they said it will take few months for them to reply which is nonsense cause the pharmacist firm wont want to wait so long.

Besides, some of the officers said we have to get married for 3 years for her to work which is ridiculous cause my wife is a well-educated and highly skilled whom she can provide a better workforce for the government and Malaysian citizen, and pharmacist is shortage in Malaysia. What she want my wife to do in this 3 years without working? Its just waste of talent/and highly skilled people to do that. Other countries like Singapore,Australia etc would have welcomed us with big hand. Well, afterall my family and my business is in Malaysia, so we have to stay here.

But, afterall we get to submit our application to immigration after getting help from my friend. and, still waiting for them to reply. Hope it will be a good news.

All these is not written in the immigration website. I am not sure is this happening to other states or just Sabah state.

This is for everyones information, and please share if you guys facing the same situation, or any solution to this.

Thank you.

Hi, im a foreign husband spouse here in malaysia.although the immigration law just appeared saying that foreign husband can work without changing the visa, as i just went to Damansara office to renew the social visa, hoping to get 5yrs instead of 1 yr. Apparently, the immigration officer told me i was not eligible as my social visa is still not eligible to apply, without giving me the further reason. I was just stunned, as i saw the news breaking tru that we have the right to apply for the new laws for 5yrs. They just again, pass the bush and no one knows what really happens!!

I had really bad time going each time at the immigration, long-queve and moreover, my wife frm malaysia still gotta come with me just to show her face that our marriage still valid? i was really ashamed here.NO PR, NO $ and i dont think this will prolong?:(

Don't you guys think it's a humiliation for partners and husbands/wives of Malaysian being granted work permit instead of PR?

No
Why should a husband / wife be granted a PR instead of a work permit ?

With the number of visa marriage, arranged marriage, and divorce these days it's logical that PR are tougher to get. Especially as Malaysia does not have a natality problem like Singapore.

Hi joegudman,

My wife is from China, she get the 1st 6months Social Visit Pass on June-2009 and get the extension of 1year Social Visit Pass on 22-Jan-2010. Now i'm preparing to renew her Visit Pass before 22-Jan-2010.

I have read through the information from

http://www.imi.gov.my/index.php/en/pass … visit-pass

I'm not quite understand about this 5 years extension.

In my case, my wife is not working (housewife).Can she extend her Social Visit Pass to 5 years instead of 1 year?

Hi all,

I had trial for 5 years Long Term Social Pass entension, it works. Cost me RM600. Just a standard document for VISA renewel will do.

Hi All,

Currently I am working in Malaysia with working permit, I plan to marry my girlfriend, who is Malaysian in 3, 4 years later. We plan to register in Malaysia.

I have a few questions regarding this issue and will be glad if anyone can help me.

1.  I would like to clarify if I understand the situation correctly.  After I register in Malaysia, I can apply for a Long term Social Visit visa for 10 years (no matter if I need to renew every year).  During the period, I can work in the country.  After I have stayed in Malaysia for 10 years, I can apply the PR.  Is it correct?

2.  As I have worked in Malaysia under working permit for a few years before I register with my girlfriend, will that 5 years/ 10 years be counting those years under my working permit?

3.  I heard from the news that starting from 1 April 2011, the Malaysian government will issue some kind of long term visa like the one mentioned above or even like PR status for those expats, are there anyone know any details about it?  I am wondering if I can apply it as well.

Thanks very much.

Hi Keith,

To answer your inquiry:

1. You can get a Long term social visit VISA, but currently was only 5 years, you may need to renew every 5 years. You can still working in M'sia, but need some document from Employer. The PR application requirement is 5 years stay in M'sia. The approval was not guarantee.

2. After your married registration, you working permit was under your Long term social visit VISA scheme. If you are working, then you may need the document from Employer to get the permission.No more 1 or 2 years working permit. Get more information from http://www.imi.gov.my/index.php/en/pass … an-bekerja

3. No information.

Hi all,

I am Malaysian and my husband is from China.

The information that I obtained from this website (http://www.mywanderingstory.com/2010/11 … ysian.html)is, the Immigration department will place a Multiple Entry Visa on the your passport once your application for the long term social visit pass is successful.

My question now is,

We planned to work at Singapore and live at Johor Bahru because the house at Singapore is small and expensive.

So we have to go Singapore and back to Johor everyday. Does the official still need to stamp on his passport everytime when he go through the Malaysia check point (customs) everyday after he obtain the social visit pass?

If the offcial still need to stamp on his passport, then it is impossible for him to work at Singapore and live at Malaysia since his passport only has 48 pages which is only can stamp for 1 or 2 months.

Thanks.

Regards,
Annie

hi there...when u already have that visa no need the immigration stamp in while u in and out from  Singapore. because there sticker at the passport show when ur visa will be expired.

Hi all,

I am a student in Malaysia and I want to know if its possible for me to work in any company with my student visa? Can someone help me out please.

Regards,
Val

Hi Val

student visa is for study..if u want to work u need have working visa.

Hi Nor, thanks for the answer. Do you mean that I can NOT do any small job to earn SMALL money as a student here in Malaysia?

Hi Amir,

So does my husband still need to fill in the white card everytime he go in and out from Malaysia?

Thanks.

Regards,
Annie

hi Annie

ye still need fill the white card.but just told the immigration no need to chop it.

hi one angle..

frankly of course u can find some part time job.but the paid is minimum.

Hi Nor,

thanks for the update, but i want to know if the malaysian law allows students to work, because they often tell me I will be arrested if I am working and studying at the same time. I dont know how true it is. Do you have any idea about that?

Val

By law, it is forbidden to work while on a student visa.
Many do it, not declaring their working status of course.
Not recommended though. If caught, you can be jailed and blacklisted.

Hi Nor,

thanks for the confirmation email. Better to be careful, but wish they would allow students to work part-time by law, just like other developed/developing countries. Thanks a lot.

Val

Hi Amir,

According to this website,
http://www.my2home.info/index.php?topic=1618.0

one of the person stated that
'The MM2H visa is no guarantee that anyone will avoid immigration stamps - I haven't in the past few years - but maybe with familiarity they just won't bother'

another person also stated that
'Assuming you have a SG permit & zip card then you are of course only scanned into SG, but regardless of MM2H or not you have to fill those cards in every time at M exit, then they have to then fill in the details from your MM2H visa, I think it will get very boring & hold up, only Malaysians do not get stamped, they may not bother to stamp you but there have been several cases where people then get hung up trying to leave because they were not stamped in, there a big sign there telling you to check your passport before you drive off.'

So these two people mentioned that the officer might stamp on your passport sometime, it sound like it is depend on the mood of the officer, so can we just direct tell the offcial not to stamp on our passport? I don't think we have the right to ask those officers to do anything at the check point.

This issue is very important to us because we have to buy house first before apply the long term social visit pass. If they really stamp on my husband's passport, then we cannot buy house at JB anymore.

Do you have any official website or informations about this issue?

Thanks.

Annie

Dear Annie..

because before my ex husband is australian.we always travel to singapore.

Hi ALL

I am a new member... just joined to this forum...I am an indian citizen married to local malaysian (Sabahan) girl for almost 2 years now ... I have been getting only the yearly social visit Pass which states that I have been sponsored by my wife to live in malaysia. But it also states that I am prohibited to be under any kind of employment. When i checked with the immigration they said thats the normal format and i can get a separate work permit stamp if i can show a proof that I have got a job already. Now this was/is a really difficult situation for me as the employers in Malaysia dont actually believe that and without a valid permit I have not been able to get a job till recently, even after trying continuously to explain the interviewers for the last 1 and half years ...They all were/are looking at me as a foreign worker. But very recently I got a job in Johor Bahru for a small resort and was really happy that atleast someone was ready to give me an opportunity. But again now have got an issue with the immigration Dept. and need some clarifications/help if pssbl ...

My wife is from Sandakan .. so I was issued the pass in Sandakan and i believe all the papers pertaining to my case are in sandakan. So when i went to them asking for the work permit stamp they said since i have got job in the Peninsula /Johor I will have to get the stamp in Johor Immigration dept. but whn i checked with Johor Immigration dept. they told me since all my papers are in Sandakan i will have to get my stamp from Sandakan only. Both the immigration dept. are very adamant abt it ...so i request the ppl on this forum to pls help  me if u have any idea how should i go abt it as I have got this job with great difficulty and dont want to lose this 1 opportunity i have got.

thank u ....

regards

Sab

Dear Sir/Madam

For those who has an endorsement to allow to work with a company on their Passport (with also 5 Years SOCIAL VISA PASS), how about when changing job?

1. Does he/she needs to go down to Immigration to cancel the endorsement if he/she quit from the current job? If so, can he/she go down personally without the present of thier spouse?

2. Can she/he cancels her current endorsement & re-submits a new job offer letter on the same day? Is there any cooling period?

Thanks for your help in advance.