Princess Noura University

Anyone currently working there as an English teacher? Experiences, opinions?

Thanks

Hi @katienz,

This topic has been discussed dozens of times :)

Please google 'Princess Noura' & 'PNU' in the right top Google custom search box on any page. Hope this helps.

TheLegendLeads wrote:

Hi @katienz,

Please google 'Princess Noura' & 'PNU' in the right top Google custom search box on any page. Hope this helps.

Thanks. Yes seems like it has been discussed a fair bit but was just wanting some opinions from people who have recently been there... some of the posts are old.

Many expat working in PNU shared already the experience, and it doesn't matter if the threads are old or new, review experience counts.

katienz wrote:
TheLegendLeads wrote:

Hi @katienz,

Thanks. Yes seems like it has been discussed a fair bit but was just wanting some opinions from people who have recently been there... some of the posts are old.

I think it does matter. The PYP programme is fairly new so some of the problems they were having may have been sorted out.  I dont think it matters if there are several posts on this.

katienz wrote:

I think it does matter. The PYP programme is fairly new so some of the problems they were having may have been sorted out.  I dont think it matters if there are several posts on this.

No need to get snarky.  The PYP program is 4+ years old (which I don't consider new).  It was originally handled by  Bell/Obikan and was a freakin' train wreck.  Has it improved from those days?  Yes.  Is it now to a what we'd consider a 'western standard' of management?  I'd say not.  Can you tolerate it? It depends on you.

I suggest you go to DavesESLcafe.com's teacher forum and read/ask or maybe to LinkedIn to find somebody currently working there.

Thankyou.  this is an open forum so if anyone wants to post a reply to my original post that is much appreciated.  :)

@ fahad-1980 avoid posting your mobile numbers

I was at PNU.  I want you to know that Auckland University which runs Academic Affairs is a crack pot managment that fired 23 teachers in one week.  I was also a teacher that was fired within two weeks.  Given two written warnings within two months.  They were because management gave no cultural orientation and instead of management taking rap for negligence they pass it on to teachers.  I was also marked down on first teaching assessment for 10 minutes by the same crack pot managers that gave me warnings.
Be aware.  This management is unprofessional, ignorant and manipulative.  I can give more details if you email me.

myangelfreeq wrote:

I was also a teacher that was fired within two weeks.  Given two written warnings within two months.  They were because management gave no cultural orientation and instead of management taking rap for negligence they pass it on to teachers.

Not to defend the management in any way (I don't teach at PNU), but as a teacher, you should have proactively inquired about what's culturally appropriate instead of waiting to be told about the do's and don'ts. What goes on in your classroom becomes your responsibility---obtaining cultural awareness is your responsibility. 

This is also why many TEFL ads for this region state "previous Middle East teaching experience preferred."  Ironically, your situation isn't uncommon with teachers hired via outside recruiters and contracting companies.  Getting caught up in the potential to earn some major money becomes a huge distraction away from the reality of working in a conservative culture. 

Anyway, live and learn.  I hope you were able to get a teaching post that's a better fit for you.

I totally agree with you that acquiring cultural understanding is the responsibility of the teacher. However, what happens if PNU disciplines you for acts that are not on the internet and you could have no way of knowing.  Moreover, I was disciplined in the act of asking about cultural orientation and was not "caught".  PNU is a university that is a blame culture.  They fired 23 teachers in one week.

myangelfreeq wrote:

However, what happens if PNU disciplines you for acts that are not on the internet and you could have no way of knowing. 

Moreover, I was disciplined in the act of asking about cultural orientation and was not "caught".

"Acts that are not on the internet"?  Huh?  I'm clueless as to what you're referring to in both of the above statements. Please clarify.

Showing ankles when carrying a heavy computer and books.
Singing abc alphabet to teach students.
Allowing students to take photos of me.

In asking about the rules of the university, they then asked me if I had ever had a photo taken of myself.  etc etc.  Then just gave me warnings.  They are a negligent university.

They don't take the rap themselves for arranging an orientation program 6 weeks late.  The management are self seving and inefficient and fired about 23 teachers, many of whom they assessed only once.

Moreover nobody will give me the email address of where to complain.

Have you returned home or are you seeking a position elsewhere in KSA?

That is of no consequence to this posting.