Offer agreed and the ball is rolling...

Hi All,

Just been offered and agreed my package this afternoon, and the visa process started...

I will be working in Al Kharj, but not sure if there are any compounds out that way, if not, how long would it take to drive from Riyadh? Not sure if I fancy the drive every day!!

I will have a housing allowance of SAR 50k, hoping this will be enough for a studio or similar on a compound.

I am going to give it a good crack!  Go with the flow and hope it all pans out, but being a single bloke, I think compound accommodation, would be the only way to go, my new employers will be putting me up for the first 3 months so no real rush to find anywhere.

Any help, tips, meeting places to help me find my feet would be much appreciated.

Looking to be out there before the end of September (bites fingers!)

Thanks guys

Tony

Hey there Tony
How are ya mate?
AlKharj is about an hour south to Riyadh, so commuting wouldn't be that hard yet not advisable. 50k would definitely suffice for something in alkharj but I highly doubt it would be enough for something in Riyadh.
Your best bet for an active social life is tapping in the expat community,  compounds are your best friend.
If ya have any Qs don't hesitate to ask
Till then pay it forward

Hi Brownie,

I'm good pal, thanks, and hope you are too....

Just need to identify some compounds (assuming their are some!) down that way, and do some research before I get there.

Thanks for your time.

Tony

Welcome to the sands!  Hope it all works out well for you :)

Welcome in advance!:)

Thanks guys, if you come across the names of any compounds down Alkhaj way, please let me know.

Cheers in advance

Tony

Ok then.. we'll let you know!:)

Tonybrock46 wrote:

Hi Brownie,

I'm good pal, thanks, and hope you are too....

Just need to identify some compounds (assuming their are some!) down that way, and do some research before I get there.

Thanks for your time.

Tony

Sorry about that man, I live in alkhobar so I don't really know about compounds over in alkharj.  I say try asking your employer for names and numbers of compounds.
What kind of job is it? You won't be the only expat so they will be most helpful for you

I will be the Operations Warehouse Manager for a company called Almarai.  They have quite a large project about to kick off that they would like me o be involved in.

Quite looking forward to the challenge

Congrats! Almarai is the leading dairy and packaged juice producer in the country ..something like a pepsi type big locally... All the best!

Tonybrock46 wrote:

I will be the Operations Warehouse Manager for a company called Almarai.  They have quite a large project about to kick off that they would like me o be involved in.

Quite looking forward to the challenge

You landed a nice job mate, Almarai is one of the biggest companies in the region. It has many products across the food industry.  I am pretty sure you will have many expats working alongside you who will help you find a suitable living arrangement.
I'm glad to see you excited about the upcoming challenges as you will have many of them in your way. One of the challenges that is facing the company right now is their public image. The public perceive Almarai as a company that care very little about their customers regarding their prices and how much mark up they place on their products. There have been many boycotts by the public in a try to send a message to the company but with no result.  I don't know if this matter is of any concern to you considering the position you will be undertaking but the knowledge wouldn't hurt you either.

Thanks for the info!

All information is good, just trying to get a feel for the place, get to know people on here for advice and guidance.

Plus, hopefully make a few mates as well.

I am trying to get a better understanding of the compounds in Kharj before I ask my employer, as I would like as much information from unbiased sources first, if you get my drift!

Thanks again for your time and input.

Cheers

T