Introducing myself

Hi,
I'm Martha Erickson  and am interested in what wonderful things are I store for me, as I research a move to Ecuador in the next year.  I am interested in employment, housing, lifestyle..and all other aspects that have made this a rewarding experience.
Please read my profile for further info.

I am presently residing In Sarasota, Florida, just awaiting all the logistics that go along with re-locating outside the US.

Many thanks and I look forward to hearing from you all!

I notice you don't speak any Spanish?? Exactly what is your background and what is it you to do with employment. Do you have any income stream or just a plan to find work in Ecuador?

Hi Martha,
And welcome to the site. You'll find much good information here, with a really nice group of folks from all over the globe.
I wish you well in your transition.
Ask away!
Stay Well,
Neil

Hi Martha, welcome aboard.

One good way to work on the Spanish I found, is to watch Spanish TV/movies etc. I used to watch Betty, la Fea (Ugly Betty) in Costa Rica, often on the big screen in the local bar. Usually I'd be the one laughing late after the joke. The bar tender would sometimes take pity on me and explain. lol.

Good luck in your search!
James

Thank you for your quick response..no,I do not speak Spanish but will begin learning as much as I can before
I arrive..

My  employment experience has been in the hospitality industry for the last 30 years.
I have worked in all areas  with the exception of accounting.  I had my own catering business in Maine for 10 years, worked for major hotel chains as well as unique Inns and Bed and Breakfasts! ( These being my preference)
I have also worked in the non-profit sector.
I have an undergraduate degree in English/Public Relations.
I am not at retirement age as yet, so my goal would be to find employment that I love with the understanding that the income level is much lower than the US ( although i am beginning to wonder!!) I am seeking a richer and more fulfilling lifestyle, which really has little to do with money...is it needed ...definitely... but it is not the be all and end all for me!
Thanks again!

Great answer to timo's question. I'll venture to say, with those skills you have a good chance at finding a niche income, probably middle management once you learn the lingo, that would sustain a modest living. If you've never lived in a Banana Republic (no slur intended), you might be in for a bit of a surprise however. Reading here should help.

Thank you James!

I am certainly interested in all the pro's as well as the challenges that one would face regarding the move!!