Immunizations

Hi all,

I was wondering what type, if any, immunizations people had prior to moving to Ecuador. What do you suggest is necessary. Typhoid fever, hep, etc. Let me know. Thank you in advance.

Shannon

I am not aware of any required immunizations.

fdmcg,

I know that nothing is required. Just wondering if there is anything recommnded to avoid common sicknesses from food, exposures, etc.

We get our annual flu shots in USA when there and take medicine for intestinal parasites but that's it for immunization. Perhaps others have suggestions.

Thank you, good to know. Medicine for parasites eh? That common? This prescribed or OTC?

OTC and inexpensive. Take about once per year over several days.

Awesome, thanks!

Have you every traveled to the amazon? Are yellow fever immunizations pretty affordable there?

Assuming you already had the typical shots when you were a kid (e.g. MMR) I got Hep A and B, a tetanus booster (I was due) typhoid and yellow fever.  I don't know how much yellow fever costs here but I've heard it's pretty expensive in the States.  My aunt just paid $500 for it.   I got mine 5 years ago in college for my first visit to Ecuador.  I don't remember what I paid.   For people who plan on working in the country with animals, a rabies vaccine is recommended. Very few people need or get a rabies vaccine. 

Anti-malaria pills are available here for a reasonable price. Malaria doesn't exist in the highland areas, but it is found in the Amazon and lower coastal provinces.

Fdmcg, could you give the the name of the parasite pills? I know I've got some parasites by now.

Awesome answer! Thank you!

I am leaving in a few days so I will look into receiving shots down there, sure they are much more affordable.

Could I have the name of the parasite pills please? I think I would like to buy some.

I'm not sure which ones fdmac uses, but whenever I have bad stomach/digestive infections, I take Ciproflaxin or ciprofloxacina in Spanish.  They range from $.50 to $.90 per 500mg pill at the pharmacies in Ecuador.  I've been told by a doctor to take one every 12 hours for 3 days, so 6 pills total.   They work every time for me.

Thank JM...picking some up today for sure!

Yes, the parasite pills work- I take them once a year. I've been to the Amazon twice and never got any shots or malaria medicine.

did not have any vaccines prior or after.

Alive and well, and been here for almost a year. Just watch for them big bugs here, they can really mess up your day. What's the name... hmm, oh yes! Drivers!

Expect to be sick, as some viruses do not have vaccines anyways. Living abroad is alot like being a kid again :P

Yes, I've read that you can get (almost) free vaccinations at any clinic in Ecuador.

We just got our regular boosters but we had no plans on going into the Amazon. My son was only 4 when we went and I didn't want to load him up with vaccines. Do not drink the tap water. If you are concerned about parasites you can soak fruit in water with grapefruit extract. I didn't and I was fine. We were there almost 6  months and I only got sick once from the ice in a restaurant. However, it was floating in a giant cocktail so the jury's still out on that one.