Doing without a Car in Ecuador

The need for a car in Ecuador is an ongoing topic here. I plan to do without, as I am doing now in the Philippines, but each of us has different circumstances and different wants/needs.

Here's an article by an American couple who moved to Ecuador and were surprised by how little they missed owning a car:

Every couple of weeks we'd get the notion to visit some famous landmark or geographic oddity or just go out sightseeing, and we'd kind of wish we had a car for a few minutes. Then we'd either take a taxi or hire a driver. (You can have a private driver haul you around all day in our part of Ecuador for about $10 an hour.) Adding up all our transportation costs for every trip we decided to take didn't even approach the cost of maintaining and insuring a car over the same period of time ...

Their experience pretty much parallels mine. I had owned a car or ready access to one for almost fifty years before moving here, and I am now delighted to be free of the costs and responsibilities of auto ownership/use.

The authors of the article are in a small town, but I think the same will apply (perhaps more so) in Quito.

We haven't owned a car in ten years, in the US or overseas.

We have no intention of ever owning a car again.

I look forward to once more living in a country that was not built for The Car. It is a major motivating factor for us.

I have been to Cebu several times and never missed having a car.
Same can be said for Cuenca. I have a senior bus pass that cost
12 cents per trip. We visit small towns around Cuenca and spend hours touring in some cases for a total transportation cost of
25 cents a day.
All transportation costs will probably increase in 2016, but I am
certain it will still be very reasonable.

Carl

I agree  about not hsving the responsibility of a car and the bills.  and i heard a lot of peopke complaining about getting a license here it was difficut...also the bus is $ .12 for me on a xard and for my husband $ ..25..... I hate giving prices and info becauae tomorrow they will be making a new law and change everything right after i post it.   
They just made a new law orescriptions from doctors for any drugs here in ecuador whuch ups costs for seniors...now that means twenty dollars for dr appt to get prescriptions no in ecuador it is very hard very to get pain killers without real reason and proper  help and older older age....
Some people who responded did not live in ecuador and acted like they were taking drugs.  scary.....i thought we were communicating lets be calm ecuadorianias do not like bad language and people who are pushy and extremely forward.  lighten up
The laws here do change a lot i live on gringo hill in cuenca for two yrs and i can not tell you how many laws have changed its hard to keep up with it...we make jokes about it what now
Back to the car some times we miss it too but we hire a car some times like for an ecuadorian
Wedding in the country side.
New laws regarding liquor stores...not sure what they are but they want to control them there are to many and they have no lic. And sell to anyone that has money so they are setting up laws.....ecuador is growing up...remember you gave 90 to get paper work in order to stay here longer on your pass port and they unlike america are not kidding around boom and you are out.

There are alternatives to prescription drugs. I've had acupuncture and there is a lady here in Cuenca where I can get  treatments.
There are herbs, leaves and plants used in traditional healing.
I have not had any problems in Ecuador and do not expect to in the future as I am now a permanent resident and respect the laws of this country.
A lot of things are changing in Ecuador but they have no significant impact on me and certainly not a negative as my quality of life would be back in the states.
An egg here cost .10 cents and comes from an organic chicken. I don't expect that to change much in the future.