Moving to Ecuador

I know everyone has their own opinion but is there 1 place in Ecuador that is known for being the best place to live or at least move to for a period of time while you look for that special place elsewhere and why?

Cheers,

John

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=139079

Panama

Weapons Tech wrote:

I know everyone has their own opinion but is there 1 place in Ecuador that is known for being the best place to live or at least move to for a period of time while you look for that special place elsewhere and why?

Cheers,

John

Disclaimer, I live in Cuenca.  I think Cuenca because of an active expat community with the opportunities to meet other expats at the many gringo nights and hangouts.  There are buses to the Guayaquil and the coast for further exploration.  The community itself is a good reason to come here to begin your search.

But that's just me.

Mike

From your "name" Weapons Tech I would suggest you consider the eastern "amazon" area of Ecuador where there are "scary things" to kill.

On the other hand there's Guayaquil ...  where there's lots of peope to wave weapons at!

Carlos   aka "ElGringoBueno"   :cool:

PS  Now, if yer talkin' Big Weapons there's always the Middle East  :whistle:

PPS  Not tryin' to bust yer chops, per se, but might your name create a "first impression" that could be received a little bit differently than it is "up north" ... ?   Like the ol' adage says, you only get one chance to make that first impression.  Ecuador seems a pretty peaceful place, altogether, and that is one of the draws for expats.

Thanks for the input. It's appreciated. Weapons was my trade in the Royal Canadian Air Force ad yes,I blew things up, worked on all sorts of weapons and weapons systems so it was just natural choice for me. I have contacted the Expat Team and requested info on how I can change my name to a more suitable tag.

So there...the first thing you've learned is that I'm willing to listen.

Cheers

John

Weapons Tech wrote:

So there...the first thing you've learned is that I'm willing to listen.

Your listening to the wrong guy. He doesn't even live here; don't think he has ever been to Ecuador; considers himself an authority on all things Ecuador.  Ignore him. I do.

Hey Nards,

Thanks for the update. I suppose this is why I'm still leary about Social Media in that everyone has an opinion and is willing to share whether it be good, bad or ugly.

I'll be sticking to Expat.com simply because there is so much info available and I can only hope I "listen" to right folks.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

John

Welcome to the forum John.
You will figure it out pretty quick ;-)
Hans

Nards, actually I do live in Ecuador.  Have since 2006.  The Ecuadorians I know actually respect those who have served in the US military (Canadians at equal rank) or law enforcement.  They admire integrity and dedication.

Of course, Weapons Tech, you might be called on to use your expertize to settle down a rowdy party...best to be sparing with whom you share your previous life.  When are you coming?

Mike

Weapons: Don't change your name -- as Nards says, just hang around enough to figure out whom to ignore (and I might very well be on that list ;) ).

I have no real advice to offer, because I'm not there. It seems like the biggest contingent of posters here is from Cuenca, so that might be an indicator that it's a good place to check out. I plan on living in Quito when I get there in January, and there are several here from that area.

One of the regulars here is in Loja and writes glowingly of it, and there are advocates for Bahia and Salinas. It seems the only major city unrepresented is Guayaquil.

Welcome. I think you'll have fun making your choice.

Bob

Hans

Thanks for the support.

While in the Air Force I served with 443 Helicopter Squadron at the Victoria airport. My family and I lived in Langford just outside of Victoria for 5 years. They were great times.

Where on the island are you from? How long have you been researching a move to Ecuador?

It seems the more I read the more I hear Cuenca is the city of choice. 

Cheers,

John

Hey there Weapons Tech ...

I respect your career and background [now that I've gotten a 2nd impression to improve upon the 1st] ...

Was simply suggesting you might consider your 1st impression while you're establishing it.  I didn't have any idea if you were a professional weapons expert or one of the many arrogant, uneducated, pistol wavin' rednecks up north ...

In case you aren't aware, there are such animals up north, e.g., in the US of A   ... :whistle:

BTW, I actually changed my "Expat.com Name" early on simply because I was made aware [by a helpful expat] that my "spanish moniker" was utilizing poor spanish grammar. 

Carlos   aka "ElBuenoGringo" "ElGringoBueno"  :cool:

PS  I'm quite aware that not everyone appreciates [or wishes to appreciate] my attempts at humor in making an occasional point on this blog.

PPS  One doesn't have to reside in Ecuador to understand the human phenomenon of making a 1st Impression.  Nor does one have to reside in Ecuador to be aware of a famous, interesting book called "The Ugly American" and understand what the authors are talking about.   :joking:

PPPS  There are a number of folks on this blog that lie in the weeds and then jump up and ambush you for entertainment.  I find it entertaining as well, so we all have fun.

PPPS  Regardless of all of the "tempest" in this teapot.  I wish you, Mr. Weapons Tech, and your family the best in your Ecuador experience.

PPPPS  I am NOT an expert on Ecuador and I make no bones about that.  On the other hand, I have been soaking up all I can from here before I arrive [just like scores of others on a site that is ostensibly developed for that very purpose].  I make it a point to find information that is not being spoon fed to me by folks with an economic ax to grind, so not all of my research is done via this blog [including its internal references to other blogs, many of whom have legitimate business reasons for what they are writing].  My goal is to know a great deal about the history and culture of my new home, not just where the Gringos go to feel "at home" and get cheap deals.  I will be somewhat of an expert someday, but not today.

PPPPPS  One of my other goals in using this site is to identify like minded souls already in Ecuador so that upon arrival I don't spend a great deal of time, energy and money avoiding the poisonous personalities whilst finding the helpful and wonderful ones.  So, my "gentle jabs" serve as a sort of "bug repellent" for those "bugs" who've lost their sense of humor [apparently it's an effective repellent] ...  :top:

PPPPPPS  This last postscript is simply a shout out to ZenSPIKE who noted earlier my propensity to postscript'ualize to the max.  I think this is my personal best so far ...  7 of 'em counting this one.

To answer your question as best as I can, their are two feasible bases for exploring the country. 

Cuenca - a retired expat hub and a city of over a half a million with most of the amenities you would find in a mid sized city.

Quito- The capital of Ecuador with 2.5 million people and all of the modern amenities you would find in a large city, along with the largest and most well preserved historical center in all of the Americas.

I usually tell people who are not sure where they would like to live to base themselves in Quito, ESPECIALLY if they are looking for work.  From Quito you can get flights or other means of transportation anywhere in the country. 

Feel free to contact me if you'd like.

Mike
www. themiddleoftheworld.com

Nards,

I saw that you like to diss bloggers on your profile.  That must make me special since you complimented mine. 

Ever so shameless plug.
www. themiddleoftheworldecuador.blogspot.com

GringoBueno wrote:

Hey there Weapons Tech ...

PPPPPPS  This last postscript is simply a shout out to ZenSPIKE who noted earlier my propensity to postscript'ualize to the max.  I think this is my personal best so far ...  7 of 'em counting this one.

You Sir have truly out done yourself in the P department. But, be careful, you may exhaust the P on your keyboard from overuse, and there where would you be?
Neil

quito0819 wrote:

Nards, actually I do live in Ecuador.  Have since 2006.  The Ecuadorians I know actually respect those who have served in the US military (Canadians at equal rank) or law enforcement.  They admire integrity and dedication.

Of course, Weapons Tech, you might be called on to use your expertize to settle down a rowdy party...best to be sparing with whom you share your previous life.  When are you coming?

Mike

Do believe Nards was speaking about Mr PS, not referring to you, Mike.  Ignoring gringobueno is an excellent plan.

Sorry, wasn't clear.  I was trying to be in agreement with Nards.

Mike