One Visa Changed to Another?

We will likely get an Investment Visa ($25,500 in a CD at an "approved" bank) for our residency. While there - and without too much difficulty - can we then, some years later, change to a Pensioners' Visa?

In our case, once we could prove our Social Security income (which won't be available when we first come to Ecuador) for pensioners' visa, we would then perhaps want to cash in our CD. OR if we get dual citizenship after 3 years of residency, would that allow us to cash in the CD and still be "legal" in the country?

Gracias in Advance of Any Responses!

I do not know about cashing in the CD, but I do know for sure that one type of Visa can be exchanged for another...you just need to apply 30 days before expiry. My company was in a great hurry to get me in, so I entered Ecuador on a normal 90 day tourist permit. Then, within the next 60 days got the documentation ready for a 12-VI and presented that 30 days before expiry of my original entry permit. This was approved without any issue and has also been renewed again since. You do not need to leave Ecuador for this. Entire process is possible in Quito without having to travel anywhere else...the only condition is that you start the process 30 days before expiry of the Visa or Permit.