Gozo v Malta

Q.... is Gozo as moneygrabbing and as fleecing of foreigners (both resident and tourist) as Malta is?

I was told once by a friend from Gozo, that they are more likely to rip off the Maltese then the tourists?!

I've had no stand out problems in Gozo except Victoria market, where they hound you.

it was just a question that raised itself early this morning and thought id ask those members who live on Gozo - of their experiences - initial ones obviously as once traders get to know you are local then things usually change (but not always)

I have been careful to check things and as far as I am aware I have had no experience of being treated anything other than fairly and the same as any 'local'. Some charges vary depending upon where one shops, eats, drinks but then that's the same the world over.
I always try to haggle also :)

Oh and talking of the market, my family were mistaken for being Maltese the other day and they were hounded a little bit. Just the market traders style I guess. (Mind you,it could have been a clever ploy to engage them.)

thought to be maltese or tourists?

I had a summer home in Gozo and worked over there once a fortnight...I use to zoom through the market, head down, as they call me over, stand in front of me etc. It was worse then the timeshare in Malta!

i am aware of the mutual dislike of each other (Gozitan - Maltese) (if one can call it that) but just wondered if they treated torusits and non indigenous locals differently?

One case (I'm aware of) of being overcharged in 10 years for me, when buying an ice cream at Dwejra

Have only knowingly been overcharged here once in just over a year by a fruit and veg trader, since then have only bought from places with the prices well displayed and havent noticed any further overcharging.

As im sure most of you are aware,its different in the uk,you know well in advance you are being ripped off,you just bend over and take it.If you add the fact that we also have the worlds most crooked banks,its a conmans paradise.

maltaforme wrote:

As im sure most of you are aware,its different in the uk,you know well in advance you are being ripped off,you just bend over and take it.If you add the fact that we also have the worlds most crooked banks,its a conmans paradise.

in the UK or Malta ?

In the uk,im not aware of ppi claims in Malta,or libor fixing,or mps claiming for fish pond cleaning,etc,etc,etc.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

thought to be maltese or tourists?

As I wrote: my family were mistaken for being Maltese.

My daughter is very 'mediterranean looking' with very long dark hair and my son in law is well built and dark skinned. The grandchildren were with us.

I'd also add that dealing with shopkeepers in the village here is wonderful. No overcharging and gracious free delivery. :)

coxf0001 wrote:

I had a summer home in Gozo and worked over there once a fortnight...I use to zoom through the market, head down, as they call me over, stand in front of me etc. It was worse then the timeshare in Malta!

Well with blonde hair I can understand why they do that, dead give away but often mistaken, of course, as in your case.

I've never had any problems being overcharged, but my partner is Gozitan and on one occasion was overcharged (they thought he was English) as soon as he started speaking Maltese they changed the price. But that only one time in 5 years.

redmik wrote:
coxf0001 wrote:

Well with blonde hair I can understand why they do that, dead give away but often mistaken, of course, as in your case.

Just saw your post Mick, yes, this is very true!