Confused about the Visa Application Process, please help

Hello! I am applying for a Visa to volunteer through the WWOOF organization in Malta from fall to summer then explore Europe a bit when I've finished volunteering and, this being my first trip out of the USA, am a little fuzzy on the details. I just want to make sure that the Visa gets approved since I already booked a plane ticket and I would really hate to get my application rejected after all of the effort I've put into clearing this time for traveling. I would be very appreciative if you guys could help clear me up a few things. Most of my questions involve the supporting documents.

Do the supporting documents (purpose of visit, proof of subsistence, etc.) need to be mailed in with the original application or do I bring those to the interview (if there is one)?

Are the following sufficient supporting documents?
-for purpose of visit: printed out contact page that includes a description of the place at which I am staying and what accommodation will be provided, also a copy of the email correspondence between me and the owner in which I secure my place.
-for travel proof: printed out copy of my itinerary showing time and dates of arrival and departure into the Schengen Area.
-for proof of subsistence: printed out copies of bank statements showing more than adequate funding for my stay and subsequent tourism.
-for proof of insurance: I've spoken with my insurance company and I am covered while I'm out of the country. I plan to include a copy of my insurance card.

Do I need to include the following as supporting documents? Some places say I do, and others don't say anything about them.
-Declaration of Proof: is listed on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website. I wouldn't be able to get one for at least a week since I would need it mailed to me from my host but I want to mail in the application as soon as possible (I am booked to leave on October 13th). If the supporting documents are required with the application, could I include a note that I don't have the declaration yet and will send it as soon as I get it?
-Copy of passport: I read somewhere that I need to include a copy of every page of my passport? Is this true? I don't see it anywhere on the Ministry's website.

I plan to explore Europe for the final two weeks of my time away, after I am done volunteering, but I haven't made plans for that yet since it is so far in the future. Also I think I could benefit from suggestions from the people I meet in Malta so that I plan the best trip for myself. Is this acceptable, or do they want to see definite travel plans and destinations?

This is all of the questions I have for now, I apologize in advance for the bulk and if any of them are stupid questions, but I just want to be completely sure that I'm doing everything correctly here, it's a very stressful process! Many thanks to anyone who takes the time to clear up any of my confusion.

I haven't got a clue about what you are asking but....would it not be an idea to address those questions to whomever you are applying to?

Try here: http://www.foreign.gov.mt/default.aspx?MDIS=504

At which site is stated:

You will be requested to apply for a visa if:
·    Malta is your main destination, and you are a third-country national who is required a visa.
·    Although you wish to travel to several Schengen States, Malta is the country where you are going to spend most of your time ;
·    Malta is your first point of entry.  Please note in the event that an applicant intends to visit several Schengen states (with stays of approximately the same duration), the application must be filled at the diplomatic mission of the country of first entry.

**** Note that the Consulate in Washington, D.C. will only cater to applicants who reside in the United States with the exception of the state of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.  Residents of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut can send their application to our Permanent Mission to the United Nations in New York.

Applications will be submitted, duly completed and accompanied by the required documentation, to the Consulate. Following initial relevant enquiries carried out by the Consulate, applications and relative documentation, are referred to the competent authorities in Malta for processing.

The Fee for each visa application currently stands at $84. The fee for applications submitted by nationals whose countries have signed Visa Facilitation Agreements with the EU (namely Albania, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Moldova, Montenegro, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM), the Russian Federation, Serbia and Ukraine) is currently $49.

For further information on the relevant procedures, including the documents that need to be submitted, please consult:

http://www.mfa.gov.mt/default.aspx?MLEV=53&MDIS=523

PS. If you are planning on coming out in October, I'd best get a move on with your application!!!!

Hi Jack,

welcome to the forum.

I would also suggest you get the application going immediatly as it is very ambitious to expect it granted by the 12 th October.

You seem to have covered the points involved.

Just out of personal interest, who is your personal organic farming host in Malta? I know there are very few on the island and my NGO have an invivtation to visit one of the few.

You do not need a definite travel plan for your final weeks as long as you stay within the Schengen area. The UK is not part of the Schengen area and has different rules.

You do not need copies of the empty pages of your passport.

I wish you luck
Ricky

@redmik I've been referring to both of those links in filling out the application but they're a bit unclear on some of the instructions which is why I've asked for help, but I'm going to call the Consulate in Washington DC today to see if they can clear up my confusion.

@ricky I'm staying at a place called Vincent Farm which works closely with an NGO called But Why Not?

I called the embassy and they told me they don't issue visas to American citizens and to send them a copy of my itinerary only so now I'm really confused...

Hi jack,

that means you have the usual 3 months that you can enter the EU for without a visa.

After that you will have the usual difficulty extending your stay. Make sure you have the money to stay (40 €/day) and the health insurance that gives you same coverage as a Maltese citizen has through the National Insurance.

I'm not sure if you will require a work permit. You should ask your 'employer' about that as he would have to apply for you. I have heard that even voluntary work can require a work permit.

I'm not aware of Vincent farm in Mgarr with 250 olive trees but I hope you have a decent winter as the accomodation is in tents? but I'll try to find out something about it.

Cheers
Ricky

I have adequate insurance, but if I'm getting my food and accommodation paid for do I still need the 40€ a day? I have more than enough to cover the tourism at the end of the trip but not nearly enough for the whole time (being a recent high school graduate on gap year my financial situation is delicate). I'll be fine in a tent though, I've done my share of backpacking and have learned to be very comfortable in rough conditions!

Hi jack,

as I said it is a delicate issue regarding the work permit.

You are just saying that you are being paid ! (Food and accomodation!) That is not allowed on a tourist visa and would require a work permit.

You should contact the farm you are working for to find out the details and their experience with non-EU volunteers.Maybe they have contacts and a solution.

A tourist visa is not extendable so you will have to come up with a reason and the money to stay longer than 3 months ( similar to the US).

Cheers
Ricky

All right, I'll talk to my host. Thanks for all of your help!