Birth in Australia

Hello everybody!
I would like to know some information as regards pregnancy and birth in Australia.
With a Visa 457 and being 3 months pregnant, does the Public Health System from Australia cover the pregnancy period and the birth?

Australian Authorities know the case and there is no problem to give birth i  Australia (we are from Europe and being transferred to Australia in short with a 457 Visa) , but we don't know if we have to pay and in that case how many.

I really appreciate your help.

You should take out private medical insurance cover that covers you for most things including pregnancy.

Thank you very much.

Hi once again.

As regards this issue, I spent last days searching information and it is being a little bit difficult. In summary I know Medicare does not cover this period and neither the private insurance the company has provided to us because of a waiting period with no exception. I asked two more quotations to other private insurances and I am waiting for an answer but I'm afraid the answer is going to be the same as regards the waiting period.

At the moment, the only option I could fnd is to talk to a doctor and ask him/her about his/her particular rates. Anybody knows if that is possible? If affirmative, I guess a private professional can ask any fee, but do you know about how much we are talking about?

I really appreciate any kind of information, contact, etc.

Regards,
Saya

For rates you may be able to find out how much by going onto the Medicare website.

Thanks once again. Have you got any idea of private medical insurances in Australia?  I also want to  check if I can find any with no waiting period or at least onea with the possibility of do an extra payment and extend the cover.

Just Google 'health insurance cover australia' and you will have plenty to check out.
They all have basic hospital cover, ambulance, and then you can add other benefits at a cost.