Villages near Cuenca

hello!  I am moving to Cuenca this October, and will rent an apartment in the city, but I would like to explore smaller villages nearby in order to find my best situation.  Any ideas as to the best small towns within 30 minutes by bus from Cuenca where I could rent a small house with some space for gardens.  I am looking to live simply, like the locals.  I am happy to trade comfort and security for quiet and tranquility....

There's a big difference between Cuenca and the towns around the city.
There's some ones that now are almost part of the city like Ricaurte or Misicata that have good services.
Then you have others that rich people are moving there now like   Rio Amarillo or Chaullabamba.

Like an hour from Cuenca you have a coule of nice places: Paute and Yunguilla. The weather is really good and life is quiet.

Vinny

I've been to Paute about 30 minutes west of Cuenca and it's in the 5,000 foot elevation range.
Small town except weekends when the big market opens with lots of local folks coming in to sell, barter or trade wears. Little warmer there do to the lower elevations.
Paute would meet your small simplistic requirements.Population seems to be in the 15-20,000 people range.
Bus ride costs .25 cents from the terminal in town.
Loja to the south takes longer to get to but has 200,000 people.
Bus can be taken from the same terminal but the trip is upwards of a couple of three hours.
Paute is your best bet based on your criteria.