Cost of living in Sofia

I have a job offer from Sofia and I'm trying to compare salary.
Numbeo says that average salary is 800lv, I found data (wikipedia?) saying that average is 550USD =900lv.  Why do u say I need 1500lv?

In my country the average is about 1100USD and u can exist (maybe even have a life) on your own for 300USD less.

Our average is comfy life with a car though not a yacht, once/twice per year vacation abroad, nothing special, but if you're in couple your income doubles and so do the possibilities.

So I assumed that Bulgarian average = 900lv with 500lv rent in a city center is at least livable.
Since money is one of the reasons I'm going I wouldn't like to spend 1500lv on just living costs.

Where is my logic flawed? What did I not include? I've never been there and I am pretty scared.

Hello ayee and welcome to Expat.com :)

A new thread has been created from your message on the Sofia Forum for better interaction with the other members.

All the best.

Thanks

Karen:)

That figure of 900 lv may be an average for some but I have not met any socially. They probably can not afford to go out! In fact my own living cost are about 1500 or thereabouts and that is indeed livable. Not grand but ok. I certainly would not be able to run a car too on this but hey, I dont need one, tram is pretty OK.
so, reach your own conclusions.

Hello, don't be that surprised, in fact 900lv working at some places is a dream salary.
You may ask at any shop, etc,... and you will discover that 600lv is usual.
Another example, at a call center, with a couple of languages and no experience, the salary will start offering about 1200lv.
Of course, at some levels, salaries are way higher, being IT one of the best, at least salary speaking.
Cheers.

Hi!
My aunty told me that a person can live "okay", with $800.00 USD.
However, there are things that you just will not know until you go to Bulgaria and do your own research.
I would not recommend you going if you do not know the language, people and our customs.
We have rules that you do not know about. and you have to be almost fluent in the language , to understand.
The same thing with me.
I live in the USA now and am going back to Bulgaria.
I have made many big mistakes here and I still do not know a lot about America, but that I have made big mistakes that cost me and my family a lot of money, our home and our lives have been changed, because there are a lot of secrets that no-one will tell you until you actually have people in Bulgaria that you can trust 100% to tell you the truth and to guide you through the tough times.
I hope that you do your research and investigate through and through before you make such a decision.
That goes for any country you might be interested in moving to!
Regards
Svetla

I don't agree with Svetla, I am also in the States and I did few big mistakes too, so I am coming back soon, but Bulgarian people are really very friendly and I never EVER heard about foreigners, who had any issues in BG. I have 5 UK friends in Plovdiv, they love it and they are surrounded only by people, who speak English. In Sofia is even better. Almost every youngster speak English.
I agree that you need 1500 levas to live good. Depends of course on how much do you pay for rent and do you like to go out very often?  The food is really expensive in BG, also the rents too, so with 800 it will be really hard to survive!

Yes, agree too with the last entry. People here in Bugaria are friendy and although I dont speak any Bugariqn myself I neevr had any issues. There are plenty of locals to help out and translate. And as I work in an english speaking environment language is not the issue.
Bulgaria I say it again is a wonderful country and providing you earn enough to enjoy it well worth relocating for.

I was talking about the US not Bulgaria. I am Bulgarian and am glad to go back to Bulgaria! I made a comment about living in the US and making a lot of mistakes in the US not Bulgaria! I love my country( Bulgaria) and that is why I am moving back to Bulgaria!