Places to visit in Kyrgyzstan

Hi,

For the ones living in Kyrgyzstan, what would you suggest to discover the country?

When you have friends or family visiting you, where do you go with them? What are the must-see places in Kyrgyzstan, the tourist sites?

How to visit the country in an original way? Any unusual or unknown place to recommend?

What would you suggest for a couple of days of for a week of holidays in Kyrgyzstan?

Thank you in advance for participating. ;)

Julie

I did consulting work in KG in 1999 and still remember my road trips (about two months worth) of the whole country.

For me, my favorite road trip was from Bishkek to Naryn then to At Bashy.  The mountain scenery changes every 30 minutes.  The Naryn River in Naryn, one of the head waters for the Syr Darya, was amazing.  As you head to At Bashy, the mountains are awesome.

My second favorite trip was to Osh (by plane).  It is amazing city with a lot of history and great food.

Many liked Issyk Kul but I am from Seattle originally so mountain lakes to not impress me.  Yet this is where all the Kyrgyz go. :)

I am returning to Kazakhstan in about a month so I plan to visit these places again.

Have a good trip.