Opening a bank account in Cambodia

Hi all,

is it difficult for expats to open a bank account in Cambodia ?

Which documents are required to open a bank account in Cambodia ?

How long does it take to open it ?

Is there any restriction for expats regarding the services (loans for instance)  ?

Which bank would you recommend ?

Thanks in advance for your participation,

Julien

Hi Julien,

It is not so hard for expat to open a bank account.

the documents required may be different for some banks but as usually:

- your valid passport;
- visa entry to cambodia;
- rent contract (some banks may required).

Just 2 hours is ok. but if you need ATM (at least a week).

For the bank, should find bank with many branches, many ATM machines provided.

For restriction of service: i think loan may be hard for expat to obtain because most banks need land or immovable properties as the securities.

P.S: ATM card delivered by the Cambodian bank has two kinds: Visa/Mastercard Card and local Card. In Cambodia, the bank delivers an ATM card that can use only with their ATM machine. And the annual charge is not so expensive. So be comfortable to open account with the bank with many branches.

Here is some points

Hi Kosal855!

Thanks a lot for your help ;)

Armand

Hello friend!

I reasonly opened an ANZ bank account in Cambodia, cos I always been with ANZ in Australia.

You will need to get a Cambodian national identity card which most banks are require now. Some banks in Cambodia may only ask for your passport.

I would say ANZ Royal would be the one to go with.

regards Mal sok

[Moderated: no free ads pls]

maliy29 wrote:

Hello friend!

I reasonly opened an ANZ bank account in Cambodia, cos I always been with ANZ in Australia.

You will need to get a Cambodian national identity card which most banks are require now. Some banks in Cambodia may only ask for your passport.

I would say ANZ Royal would be the one to go with.

regards Mal sok

My ACleda branch needed a registration formula from the village head, plus my passport, legal visa, and 50 dollars permanent deposit.

Some banks demand a larger permanent deposit, than others.

In my town you cant use your ATM card at other bank branches. Only at ACleda.

Be awared that you ask for an international ATM card. They call it something else, forgot what it was, but that is what it is. If you dont ask for the international one, you risk only getting a card for local use. Depending of the policy of the bank.

phnom-penh-services wrote:

[Moderated: no free ads pls]

How can you help other users of this site? Its your first comment. Pls tell what kind of business you run, you expiriences with banks, etc.

Hi daelim, I heard a lot of locals use ACleda, and the fees are lower. So how's your experience with the bank? And does applying for an international ATM card cost you more?

I'm in PP now, and there're quite a number of ANZ ATMs around, so I'm definitely considering ANZ. At the same time, I'm concerned over whether they really do charges higher fees. If so, does anyone know by how much and pertaining to what kind of transactions?

anthonyteo wrote:

Hi daelim, I heard a lot of locals use ACleda, and the fees are lower. So how's your experience with the bank? And does applying for an international ATM card cost you more?

I'm in PP now, and there're quite a number of ANZ ATMs around, so I'm definitely considering ANZ. At the same time, I'm concerned over whether they really do charges higher fees. If so, does anyone know by how much and pertaining to what kind of transactions?

ACleda is fine where I am. It could be different in different town. Around the first in a moth they are very very byzy I mostly just use my ATM card. The withdrawels from my own banks branch is free, as far as I know of.

The International ATM card, I cant remember if its more expensive to get. Anyway, we are talking very small money. That card is a Credit Card too, I think with the limit of 800 US dollars.

ANZ could demand a larger permanent deposit. And there is lesser places where you can use your ATM card. But I never tried ANZ. People told me that ANZ want several hundred dollars in permanent deposit. Maybe to avoid unattractive costumers.

Ah I see.

I haven't seen much of Acleda's ATM in PP though - just one by the riverside, hidden in the corner of a shop. Maybe it's because their ATMs are just not prominent enough.

But anyway, I will definitely check Acleda out. Thanks. :)

anthonyteo wrote:

Ah I see.

I haven't seen much of Acleda's ATM in PP though - just one by the riverside, hidden in the corner of a shop. Maybe it's because their ATMs are just not prominent enough.

But anyway, I will definitely check Acleda out. Thanks. :)

ACleda do lots of loans to farmers and others with rather low income. Thats where the bank make its money. Perhaps PP dosnt have that many farmers? That could be why you havent seen tht many ACledas in PP:cool:

Go with ABA bank.

Because they got internet banking that links all your account together.  ANZ u gotta wait a month before you see your visa bill in the mail.

Ah. That's something to think about too. Cool, now I've another option. Thanks man.

I want to open a new account but through the internet, what could? i want to open a bank account in national bank of cambodia via online, what should I do?

I think it not possible dear

I wrote ANZ u need a work permit and host of other things it ant easy

There are banks that can/will open an account with nothing more than a passport and you will get an ATM Card.

Acledia, who I bank with, required my passport and accepted a copy of my lease, which had been signed by the village cheif, to open an account with an ATM / VISA DEBIT Card, which can be used on-line and liked to PayPal and for which I have internet banking. Oh, and a machine here in the hostel/restaurant whereby I can swipe VISA Cards. ANZ Royal and Canadia want a lot more doucumentataion with the only real advantage, being, the ability to swipe and accept Mastercard payments. ANZ Royal, is also, by no means as competative as some of the other banks.

A friend of mine and her friend opened a canadia bank acct with passport only and photo copy of visa stamp  recently

Very easy and fast to open a savings (passbook) with an ATM card at Canadia Bank.  It has branches in many larger cities with wiring/currency handling capacity.  All you need is a passport.  Foreigners, like most places, charges a small percentage in taxes.

Hope this helps!

/Gary/

i had open my bank account in ABA , you bring your passport w/ multi visa, you can chat ABA online for more information

I got a Canadia bank account which works very well.
ATM at their branches for free, at other banks $0.50 is charged. Except at ANZ!!! I took money from an ATM in PP and ANZ charged me $5 for that, really ridiculous.

To open an account (I did in Sihanoukville):

Passport with long term visa more than 4 months valid
Copy of rental contract
Deposit $10
Can use your account the same day, ATM card takes a week.

They have free internet banking, so you can check your account from home, make transfers, and so on.