" ur friend..

hi..bandung here.. if u need some information all about bandung - west Java' Indonesia..ur welcome 4 me..:)

Hi srizq!

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

hello Bandung...

Hello...  I just learned today that I will be moving to Bandung very soon with my company.  I know very little about the area or Indonesia in general.  I was in Jakarta many years ago but at that time I was working for the government and we rarely had time to experience the city or the culture.  ANy information that you can share to help me transition without offending anyone or making any major cultural errors would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

ClovisP wrote:

Hello...  I just learned today that I will be moving to Bandung very soon with my company.  I know very little about the area or Indonesia in general.  I was in Jakarta many years ago but at that time I was working for the government and we rarely had time to experience the city or the culture.  ANy information that you can share to help me transition without offending anyone or making any major cultural errors would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

Hello ClovisP, I wish you a good stay in Bandung.
Just a bit of recommendation, Jalan Braga is quite popular for foreigners residing in Bandung. I believe you can make new friends there. I also know one foreigner friend in Bandung, I could give you his contact if youd like. A British dude who has been  there for quite a while.

Welcome to Indonesia.

ClovisP wrote:

Hey ClovisP,

Welcome! I lived in Bandung for almost a year before I moved to Jakarta. Bandung is a small city with good weather and great food. Not a very clean city tho, but its acceptable and I think youll like it there :)

The most shocking part about Bandung when I moved there the first time is the traffic. Its horrible for such a small city. You might want to hire a driver there. :) And also be careful when you go with taxi, always pick BLUE BIRD or CIPAGANTI. Theyre the least of the devil.

As for place to hang out, here is some of my favorites :
1. Dago 254, owns by an English guy. Amazing food, cheap beers, but thats not what people come for. Its the chicas! lol
2. Ergin Pizza. On the top of the hill, great place.
3. Revel Bar & Lounge,
4. Southbank, new bar with great vibe, great music.

I hope that helps you to get to meet some nice locals and expats :)

Cheers,
Sherly

Thank you Sherly! I lived in the Philippines for a few years so I don't think that I will be overly surprised about the cleanliness of Bandung or that I will need to exercise caution when using public transportation. I have read many posts on the forum that have warned people to use Blue Bird taxis if possible and I will certainly not discount such good advice. I am going to start taking language lessons as soon as I arrive so that I can communicate and associate with the Indonesian people. Thanks for the tips on placs to go, that will really help. I am certainly not opposed to meeting the "chicas" as you say. :D

Sophie, the contact information for your friend would be great!  Thanks!