Primorska

Do any of you live Iin Primorska like Koper, Portoroz etc? I've been reading than the summers in Slovenia can reach the high 30's, that's hot for such a northerly latitude mind you Slovenian winters can be very cold with snow in the hinterland. Is the Slovenian coast industrious like say Turin, Graz or it's capitol? Had my heart on Dalmatia Croatia but ther'a
s not a lot of work down there which is a shame.

Some of Slovene beaches are very lovely. I have friends who visit me every year in Slovenia and they always detour to there favorite coast town, Piran. You should bring up google maps and find the different towns along the coast line & have a gander, I think you will like what you find.

Good Luck.

Hello Bekki.

So where are you from? I've heard of Piran. Last year we went to Pula and most of Istria, I've heard Slovenia has the best standard of living in the Balkan countries? Do you rate Slovenia better than Croatia for health, jobs etc

I am originally from the UK but I live in Postojna now, I can't rate Croatia standards as I only ever go on holiday there, so no experience to make judgement.

Postojna, that's where those caves are and where the elusive Olm lives. So is life in general in Slovenia better than the UK, what's their winters like where you are?

For us yes, Slovenia is better then the UK, but not for everyone. I believe my sons have a better life here then they would in the UK but that statement is not truth for all families with kids.

Wages are smaller here then the UK, household bills are similar. Clothes tend to be more expensive here and the quality a lot less when you compare with stores like Tesco. Alcohol is cheaper here. Postojna has a population of less then 10k people, the whole of Slovenia has less population then London, for me, that is the biggest difference. And the countryside, mountains, forests, lakes that are warm enough to swim in, all though the thunder storms freak me out a little.

The winter tends to be extremely thick snow, the kids love it, fortunately it is regular so the roads are usually kept clear. Slovenia has some really nice ski resorts, plus we have Italy & Austria close by.

The olm/proteus laid eggs for the first time in captivity this year.