Places to visit in Slovenia

Hi,

For the ones living in Slovenia, what would you suggest to discover the country?

When you have friends or family visiting you, where do you go with them? What are the must-see places in Slovenia, the tourist sites?

How to visit the country in an original way? Any unusual or unknown place to recommend?

What would you suggest for a couple of days of for a week of holidays in Slovenia?

Thank you in advance for participating. ;)

Julie

There really are some wonderful places in Slovenia.

The more commercial and easy to get to trips via coach, I would suggest:
Postojna caves, they have tour guides explaining the caves for you, the history is very interesting. The cave is huge and to get to the tour you will actually ride a small train within the cave. A must see if you visit Slovenia.

Bled, Bled is a small town with a massive lake, the lake has a small island in the middle of it and a rowed boat ride to it is available, be aware it does take some time due to the boat been rather slow. The lake is swimmable so take some swim wear, towels and sun lotion. If you go around the lake you will find the parts which is more for swimmers. I also suggest going away from the lake, there is some lovely restaurants & cake shops.

Lipica, this is a must if you like horses. It is like a horse farm with style.

Ljubljana, the capital, the city center is a must, a river runs through it with bars & restaurants either side. The whole design of the city center leaves you feeling very relaxed, i like it best in the evenings but day time is also wonderful.

There are a few coastal towns also, Piran is pretty wonderful.

These are all places iwth bus service to, if you plan to hire a car you should add a non commercial lake to your plans.

I have assumed this is for a summer holiday. But all I suggested (other then the coast) is pretty great over the winter period also, Bled is very popular for skiing, the city in December Ljubljana town center is covered with small stalls selling all sorts, and the mulled wine warms you right up.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday.