Just got married. got my vietnamese marriage certificate

Now i want to get my vietnamese wife an Australian spouse Visa as I am Australian Citizen.
Does anyone know the procedure now. ?
Can i do all the paper work myself.?
Do i just go to the Australian Embassy , fill in the paper work and pay the lodgement fees and hope for the best?
What can i expect? What documents do i need to produce?
Havn't paid Tax in 10 years as i have been travelling around the world. Is this going to affect my application?
Also going to have a kid in December? What is the procedure for getting the baby an Australian passport and also the $3000 baby bonus.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Do abit of research,
There are some agents that can do it, saves you a lot of time and it doesnt cos that much.
Most will ask for some money up front and the rest when her visa is granted.

It is ok.
After you have your Vietnamese papers, you will be dealing more with the Australian Embassy.

The procedure is basically:
1. Get your wife's documents authenticated by local ward.
2. Get all your documents translated into English and authenticated by the Foreign Affairs.
3. Submit to Australian Embassy.
4. Interview

http://www.workpermit.com/australia/partner.htmhttp://www.smartraveller.gov.au/tips/marriage.html

Just because you are married, it doesnt mean you will be auotomatically given a visa for your wife. The embassy will want you to prove to them that your marriage is legitimate and not just a scam to get her into Australia. Go to the embassy and ask what needs to be done, its not a simple as you think, your wife will also need to prove her income,what property she owns, how much she has in the bank. The reason is that they want to make sure she will return to Viet Nam.You will only get the baby bonus if the baby is born in Australia, I think they will look at her at 5 months pregnant and realise if they issue you a 3 month visa that she will end up having the baby in Oz and cost the tax payers more money,good luck.

colinoscapee wrote:

... Go to the embassy and ask what needs to be done, its not a simple as you think, your wife will also need to prove her income,what property she owns, how much she has in the bank. The reason is that they want to make sure she will return to Viet Nam...

Why would the Australian government want to make sure an Australian Citizen's wife will return to Viet Nam?  Isn't the point in bringing his wife to Australia so they can make a new life together in Australia?

colinoscapee wrote:

Just because you are married, it doesnt mean you will be auotomatically given a visa for your wife. The embassy will want you to prove to them that your marriage is legitimate and not just a scam to get her into Australia. Go to the embassy and ask what needs to be done, its not a simple as you think, your wife will also need to prove her income,what property she owns, how much she has in the bank. The reason is that they want to make sure she will return to Viet Nam.You will only get the baby bonus if the baby is born in Australia, I think they will look at her at 5 months pregnant and realise if they issue you a 3 month visa that she will end up having the baby in Oz and cost the tax payers more money,good luck.

I think you're talking about a tourist visa or a student visa or some type of temporary arrangement to make sure a foreigner doesn't overstay their visit. 

In a marriage case, he will want his wife to have permanent residency so they can live in Australia.  In that case, why does the Australian government want to know how much money and property his wife owns?  Aren't Australian Citizens allows to marry...say poor penniless foreign girls?

I missed the spousal bit, but they will still check out that the marriage is real.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:

In a marriage case, he will want his wife to have permanent residency so they can live in Australia.

However, he will have to be his wife's guarantor in her application for resident status.
In the event, his wife claims unemployment benefits, the Australian Government can claim that from his wife's guarantor, him!
It is unclear about the baby bonus AUD5,000, as this is paid to the parents of the baby who are both residents of Australia. You can register the birth of your baby with the Australian Embassy if your baby is born outside Australia to ensure the baby's citizen ship.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_Bonus

Actually both parents dont have to be residents, my brother had a child with his girlfriend who stayed in Australia whilst she was pregnant and received the baby bonus.When the child was 6 months old she was asked to leave due to overstaying her original visa.She has since returned and now lives in Australia.

The baby bonus is a monthly installment payment.
It is a benefit to assist parents with new babies.
If the baby dies, the parents can request for lump sum payment.

How are the parents going to draw on the monthly bonus, unless one of them is a resident in Australia.

Well thats right, one has to be a resident of Australia and living there.

Got Quoted $4000 AUD by immigration lawyers in Melbourne. Might do it. Another Immigration Agent in Saigon said I wouldn't be successful because I havn't paid tax in 10 years. He charges $2000.

bongolongo.

An Oz guy on another forum I use got a spouse visa for his Vietnamese wife. It took near 12 months to get it all together, doing it himself.

As you have not paid taxes in Oz for 10 years you would have difficulty in proving that you have funds available to support your wife and pay medical expenses if necessary. Could be okay if you have money in Oz bank accounts.

I suggest you check out www.immi.gov.au for visa information.

I live in Laos and to get Oz citizenship papers for young daughter, born in Laos, it took 6 months and a heap of paperwork before it was granted.

You will not get the baby bonus unless the child is born in Oz, which makes citizenship easier, and you live in Oz.

Until recently,I had 32 years of living and working out of Oz and when I applied for our marriage papers and then daughters citizenship papers, the fact that I had all my money in Oz and had a house there made things easier.

There is no doubt the Oz govt is making it harder for citizens to bring their Asian families into Oz.

That is why I choose to live in Laos with my family and commute between there and whatever country I am working in for my leave breaks.

"There is no doubt the Oz govt is making it harder for citizens to bring their Asian families into Oz."

That's because of fake ones who are paid to bring others in.

I don't think the not paying tax will be a big problem. You will have to prove income/assets and show u can take care of her financially.
If you are able to come back to Oz and do the paper work and lodge the forms here I think you should. That was the route I took, unless u know a lot of the officials.

thanks for the advice. I will put 100k in an oz bank account and try to buy a property before i in my application. thanks again.

Oh. you think it is easier for the application if the forms are lodge in Australia?

Easier, as in I didn't have to deal with them pricks in the offices in Vn.
Easier getting documents translated, certified.
I did do it thru an agent tho, they had branches in Saigon (can't remember exactly where) and in Brisbane. They knew the process and guided my wife thru everything.

Will dig and find the details of the agency if u need

mate, baby bonus you can forget as the mother needs to be australian resident to get this, what will take at least two years after you get your temp resident, I did all the paperwork myself and had a visa for my wife in 4 weeks. did not even had to do an interview. just have enough proof u have  a serious relationship and not a 2 week on and 5 month off relationship. child will help but u still need to proof u have serious relationship, this means track record of mutual bank statements, living address, photo's etc.  no need to use a company for it as it all straight info as long as u in a serious relationship and can proof this, also very important to proof that u financial secure and can support here with a house and living without it also no change to get a visa for her.

sounds hard. I better start getting it organised. I don't plan to go back permanently to Australia for another 3-4 years so that should give me some time. thanks again for the advice.

colinoscapee wrote:

Actually both parents dont have to be residents, my brother had a child with his girlfriend who stayed in Australia whilst she was pregnant and received the baby bonus.When the child was 6 months old she was asked to leave due to overstaying her original visa.She has since returned and now lives in Australia.

That doesn't sound right.  Why would the Australian government give away taxpayer's money to non-residents of Australia?  If this was the case, every foreign tourist who is 8 months pregnant would hang out in Australia and get free money; "baby bonus" tourism.  Just like "baby citizens" tourism in the United States that where any baby born on US soil is granted citizenship.

colinoscapee wrote:

Well thats right, one has to be a resident of Australia and living there.

Ok, that sounds more logical.

yolandyoland2 wrote:

... also very important to proof that u financial secure and can support here with a house and living without it also no change to get a visa for her.

Just curious....how do "backpackers" who don't have a dime in their pocket suppose to be able to fall in love with a Vietgirl, marry her and bring her home?  For that matter, how about a "peace-corps" volunteer who also don't have a lot of money, go to volunteer overseas, fall in love, marry and bring their spouse back home?  The government has to have foresight into these scenarios.

love has no boundaries.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:
yolandyoland2 wrote:

... also very important to proof that u financial secure and can support here with a house and living without it also no change to get a visa for her.

Just curious....how do "backpackers" who don't have a dime in their pocket suppose to be able to fall in love with a Vietgirl, marry her and bring her home?  For that matter, how about a "peace-corps" volunteer who also don't have a lot of money, go to volunteer overseas, fall in love, marry and bring their spouse back home?  The government has to have foresight into these scenarios.

Backpackers travel light and cheap.
Many travel drawing only their unemployment benefits. If they can live at home with the unemployment benefits, they are kings in these parts where necessities are cheaper.
Some travel as a test to survive with nothing, without the comforts of home. What better time to travel, when your life is just beginning (after University) and you dont have heavy responsibilities.
Don't forget, the obligations and responsibilties are different bwtween east and west.

i did not make up the rules and secondly I think their are enough people to live on all kind off unemployment payments benefits, secondly a backpacker cant  hardly look after him self how does he want to look after a family. they need first get a normal job before they can bring their love then over. think thats very normal and also for the interest of the women he wants to bring, she does not want to live like a backpacker in his home country :)

That doesn't sound right.  Why would the Australian government give away taxpayer's money to non-residents of Australia?  If this was the case, every foreign tourist who is 8 months pregnant would hang out in Australia and get free money; "baby bonus" tourism.  Just like "baby citizens" tourism in the United States that where any baby born on US soil is granted citizenship.

It was just the way I worded it, it meant that both dont have to be residents as long as one is.

If the mother is not a resident the Australian parent receives the bonus, as my brother did. They dont give it to the non resident, this may have chnaged by now as it was three years ago.

yolandyoland2 wrote:

i did not make up the rules and secondly I think their are enough people to live on all kind off unemployment payments benefits, secondly a backpacker cant  hardly look after him self how does he want to look after a family. they need first get a normal job before they can bring their love then over. think thats very normal and also for the interest of the women he wants to bring, she does not want to live like a backpacker in his home country :)

I agree with the PRACTICALITY of your response.  It makes common sense.  A man should be able to provide for his family.

But government shouldn't dictate that only the well-to do can marry foreigners...i.e. if you're poor, a backpacker, or an artist, then you can only marry domestically; you can't marry overseas.

I'm sure there's some waiver or exemption to allow a "poor" Australian man to go to the interview and lay out a plan on how to take care of his overseas wife after he brings her back into the country.

Isn't there?

colinoscapee wrote:

It was just the way I worded it, it meant that both dont have to be residents as long as one is.

If the mother is not a resident the Australian parent receives the bonus, as my brother did. They dont give it to the non resident, this may have chnaged by now as it was three years ago.

You should click the "Quote" button instead of the "Reply" button followed by copy and paste-ing my post.  Other people reading your post will know that you're quoting me in your post and not you writing it.  It'll look like this:

colinoscapee wrote:
Tran Hung Dao wrote:

hELLnoi wrote:
Tran Hung Dao wrote:

In a marriage case, he will want his wife to have permanent residency so they can live in Australia.

However, he will have to be his wife's guarantor in her application for resident status.
In the event, his wife claims unemployment benefits, the Australian Government can claim that from his wife's guarantor, him!

Australia exercise controls over the migration of spouses and their dependents.
The migrant resident spouse is entitled to all benefits available any resident without discrimination.
Benefits are either cash paid out over cash counters or as tax deductions.
The spouse who brought in the migrant is responsible to the Australian government for the welfare handouts to the migrant.
Migrants are subject to a points test to qualify. There is a wealth test for sponsers as well.

I was using my Ipad, and the system seemed to have a gliche, so I just cut and pasted it.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:

But government shouldn't dictate that only the well-to do can marry foreigners...i.e. if you're poor, a backpacker, or an artist, then you can only marry domestically; you can't marry overseas.

No the government DON'T dictate who can marry foreigners.
They CAN control who gets to walk through the gates and live in the country.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:

I'm sure there's some waiver or exemption to allow a "poor" Australian man to go to the interview and lay out a plan on how to take care of his overseas wife after he brings her back into the country.
Isn't there?

Yes anyone can marry anybody.
Whether their spouses are permitted into the country is up to the government. In theory, the government can reject to approve resident status to a spouse (example: criminal records, health, mental, etc). You can appeal if spouse's visa is rejected. You may be required to put up a bond or some form of guarantee. If you fail, because you are "poor" don't blame the system.