Places to visit in Siem Reap

Hi,

For the ones living in Siem Reap, what would you suggest to discover the region?

When you have friends or family visiting you, where do you go with them? What are the must-see places in Siem Reap, the tourist sites?

How to visit the region in an original way? Any unusual or unknown place to recommend?

What would you suggest for a couple of days of for a week of holidays in Siem Reap?

Thank you in advance for participating ;)

Julie

I might be coming to visit Siem Reap again very soon.  Lived there for a year.  Hope to see you all soon!

Julie,

Walk around and talk to people.  This is the best way.

Angkor wat is a must see... take a tuk-tuk for a whole day for 15 $
you can also visit west baray... a lake near by
very recommended to visit Tonle sap.. the floating village

Those are the main attractions

Hi KidMylo,

Do you know any good places to visit that you can recommend or share with us please :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Just make sure you also get the 3-day temple pass to save money. One day is USD20. But the 3-day pass is USD40, if I remember correctly. Have fun!

An often overlooked day trip is to Phnom Kulen.  There is a stupa and large buddha statue with beautiful views of the countryside.  The River of 1000 Linga's is there in addition to a couple of waterfalls to cool off in.  The lower one is worth braving the staircase/bridge of death for a stunning view and a nice dip. I personally find sitting on the rock under the falls beats any massage parlor in town. A nice place to have a picnic is near some small temple ruins; you can pack your own or eat the local food, which is pretty decent and they'll bring it to your spot.  It's not included in the Angkor park pass, $20, I believe. You need to either go with a group and arrange for a small van, or if there's only 1 or 2 people get a couple of moto drivers to take you- it's a bumpy but scenic ride and they can watch your stuff while you swim! You can contact me for reliable transportation info if you'd like. There's also the Roulos group of temples on the opposite outskirts of Siem Reap. Battambang is a scenic, riverside art-centric town about a 3 hour bus ride (or by boat in the wet season) from SR.  There are many places to explore outside Battambang as well; including mountains, caves (some are shrines to those lost in the Khmer Rouge era with bones on view for a more somber excursion), and eco-parks.

@ lkrause38 : Thank you for your contribution :top:

preah vihear temple is really nice, altho it's now at the tension area with thailand.

its up a mountain, and its really tranquil and not touristy like Angkor Wat.