VN removal as "Restricted" country ?"

Has anyone heard if there is a move afoot to do the required reporting so that Vietnam can be removed from the U.S. Social Security Administrations  restricted status? I thought I had heard that VN was going to start reporting vital statistics of expats living in VN.

I hope not. I really do not want my government knowing where I am at.  Call me paranoid, but big brother already has access to far more information than I want him too. As for federal benefits direct deposit, just keep your american bank and use paperless statements.

ancientpathos wrote:

I hope not. I really do not want my government knowing where I am at.  Call me paranoid, but big brother already has access to far more information than I want him too. As for federal benefits direct deposit, just keep your american bank and use paperless statements.

Ditto

Well I have e-banking. But big brother is putting the squeeze on all banks now. If your Ip address does not jive with the address on file they will close your account and refuse to transact business.
If you are using this computer to type a msg on this blog then big brother has you zeroed in anyway my friend. Why do you think DARPA created the global internet. That not withstanding are you able to get your SS check w/o presenting your puss at the Embassy? If so how long have you been able to pull this off? Maybe it will work. Just the other day my bank put 2 and 2 together and realized my IP address was in a different location than my address. Had to get it squared away fast. Perhaps and IP blocker would work. I used it in VN. But had not considered this issue of SS checks.

Well I agree with both the replies. I too wish they did not have their nose in my shorts 24/7. But with the wishing behind us, is there any truth to the idea that VN may begin to report. You guys that have
VNese brides and children may wish they could still get your SS after your pushing up daisies. But if
they do not know how to claim the checks they my have a problem as well. To me it would behoove the VN gov't to something in place to help just their citizens if not encourage expats.

It appears that a logical extension to the post might be "Is there any valid workaround". The penalty imposed by SS is very severe to just take a pig-n-poke at what WE THINK might work or be working.
If I recall they cut you off completely, once caught.

My friend was using the debit card ssa has for direct deposits.  3 months ago his card stopped working at the atm.  After calling them, he was told that they are stopping people from using the atm because of possible fraud.  He still uses the atm card but now he has to go to the bank for his money.  They verify him through his passport.  I know others with the same card and no problem, but they have been here for less than a year.  He has been here for 4 years.

My SS is deposited in America and then my daughter wires me the money. Am I going to jail???

Gosh Solo I hate to tell you this......! Perhaps a reread of the SSA rules would help you out. Your plan sounds great. But WHEN they find out the repercussions will make you soil yourself I suspect. Remember that form you signed when you first applied. Recall anything on there about reporting?
Yup, automatic denial of bennies. Good luck skirting. I just don't want to go down that sink hole.
There are actually federals statutes that would allow you to live rent free w/ free room and board.

This quote from the SS Administration website:

If you do not qualify for payment under this procedure, you can receive all of the payments for which you were eligible (but which were withheld because of Social Security restrictions) once you leave that country and go to another country where we can send payments.

If you are living outside the United States, periodically we will send
you a questionnaire. This lets us figure out if you still are eligible for benefits. Return the questionnaire
to the office that sent it as soon as possible. If you do not, your payments will stop.

Listed below are things that must be reported. An explanation of each is given on the page listed.
Page 15 Page 16 Page 20
Page 21 Page 21 Page 22 Page 22
Page 22
Page 23 Page 23 Page 24
Page 24 Page 24
Change of address Work outside the U.S.
If you return to work or your disability improves
Marriage
Divorce or annulment
Adoption of a child
Child leaves the care of a spouse or surviving spouse
Child nearing age 18 is a full-time student or is disabled
Death
Inability to manage funds
Deportation or removal from the U.S.
Changes in parental circumstances
Eligibility for a pension from work not covered by Social Security

Bla Bla Bla Bla

Ancient,
  Is this an international bank e.g HSBC or something. This might be the workaround That would be legal. I suspect having to show ID is satisfying SSA requirements for LIVING recipients.

bta87 wrote:

Gosh Solo I hate to tell you this......! Perhaps a reread of the SSA rules would help you out. Your plan sounds great. But WHEN they find out the repercussions will make you soil yourself I suspect. Remember that form you signed when you first applied. Recall anything on there about reporting?
Yup, automatic denial of bennies. Good luck skirting. I just don't want to go down that sink hole.
There are actually federals statutes that would allow you to live rent free w/ free room and board.

Yes it's a slippery slope. However what is the difference between an extended holiday and residency? I leave the country on occasion and have rental properties in America which is my home address.

Indeed, that has been one of my questions. If you remain there on some sort of TOURIST/BUSINESS
visa are we living there? I would say NO. If not anyone who traveled the world could get in a jam for failure to report current address (hint imbedded). But I don't plan on going back to the USA even though I have several rental properties there. But I will have to exit VN. Might be a good argument for not getting a residency card.
  But still there would be the issue for me of doing online banking/ATM withdrawals as it pertains to my IP address coming out of VN. What is the workaround for that. Perhaps have all my money transferred via PayPal to my VNese wife's account. That way all my transfers and what uncle sugar sees would be going on simply in the USA, no?

I don't know of any way to do a xfer w/o using a US based bank routing number which they then send to your VN receiving bank via SWIFT code. You can bet that is reported to uncle sugar. Especially with them clamping down on take avoiders in offshore banks a few years ago. To make matters worse you must report all offshore bank accounts on your tax returns. Jail????

Maybe I am lucky, my ex wife got the house and I agreed to a large amount in child support. I know the ex is using that money for the house payment, it happens to be the amount on the mortgage.  My name is still on the mortgage and that is my address.  I also return to the USA every 4 months to see my son, pickup my VA medications and see the doctor.  So there is a paper trail of me for the USA.  I also tend to travel to Cambodia, Laos and Thialand. My wonderful ex opens my mail and emails it to me.  If it comes down to picking my checks up at the embassy or consulant so be it. I also have a friend in Chiang Mai that has direct deposit into a Thai bank.  As in all things governmental, we just need to work the system to keep them happy.

Thailand is not on the "Restricted list". Yes I think you could legitimately be considered not residing in VN. I realize your not married to a VNese. But what if you get married. How do you think that will affect her SS or that of any surviving children by her?

bta87 wrote:

Thailand is not on the "Restricted list". Yes I think you could legitimately be considered not residing in VN. I realize your not married to a VNese. But what if you get married. How do you think that will affect her SS or that of any surviving children by her?

Now that is a question that I had not thought of!!

bta87 wrote:

Marriage is a different thought process for me. If I was to get married, i would register the marriage with the embassy and inform the VA.  My disability payments increase according to dependents.  Children if I am married or not I would report the birth to the embassy for citizenship purposes. Possibly SSA also.

ancientpathos wrote:
bta87 wrote:

Marriage is a different thought process for me. If I was to get married, i would register the marriage with the embassy and inform the VA.  My disability payments increase according to dependents.  Children if I am married or not I would report the birth to the embassy for citizenship purposes. Possibly SSA also.

The slope just got slipperier!!

bta87,

Your workarounds are relatively easy.

1. You can pick up your check at the Consulate every month or
2. You can maintain a US bank account and have the money transferred here.

If you are really worried about the SS suspending your benefits all you have to do is make a run to the Cambodian border every 6 months. As long as you depart Vietnam every 6 months you are not considered as living here.

Now this is assuming your are a US Citizen. Permanent Residents do have other restrictions that would apply to them living overseas while collecting SS benefits. 

Your problem with the banks and ip address blocking could be resolved with a simple VPN. Also your banks are more concerned with fraud than where you are living.

ancientpathos wrote:

Ancientpathos,

I am in a similar situation as you. Have you checked into this yet and how it applies to marrying a woman overseas? I know you have to have a SS number for your wife when you add them to VA Disability and the SS will issue numbers to foreigners in certain instances just don't know if this is one of them.

I have not checked into what I need to do for marriage for SS number. However if you report a birth overseas, the embassy will verify and issue birth certificate and notify SS, just like a birth in the states. My friend is married to a viet, he informed the embassy and they told him to contact SS office in Manila.  He never follow up. With a birth, if you are on SSDI your newborn is also eligible for an amount that is half of your monthly amount.

To answer the OP question, no I haven't heard any new changes in the reporting requirements. Matter of fact we were just at the Consulate on Thursday doing the sign-in and nothing was mentioned at that time, which is par for the course, they wouldn't say anything till it was official. I sure wish something would give though. We've been doing the duffle bag drag from down here in the Delta up to the Consulate in Saigon every month for almost 6 years.
@Parymd, they quit issuing paper checks back in March, got to do the automatic deposit to your bank account. Also a quick run any where but back to the States for at least 6 months is the only way to satisfy the SSA requirement. I've posted links from the SSA to all this information on the blog here many times.

Legally in this situation there is no work around to the rules. Remember the old Bobby Fuller Four song? "I fought the law and the law won"

That being said I'm sure the folks at the ACS would really appreciate this program to go away also. Some people don't know it but they have to run the whole thing to include monthly reports to the Embassy in the P.I. strictly out of hide. It's an unfunded additional duty for them.

Budman,
   So is it your understanding you must leave VN at least every 6 months, or that you leave VN and STAY OUT of VN for 6 months?

Parymd,
  Your assumption about banks concerns is misplaced I think. The laws have recently changed after the Credit Suisse  debacle a few years ago. Uncle sugar has put many things into effect to track overseas banking and comparisons of IP addresses to registered addresses w/ you bank.
  I'm glad to see some agreement that if we are indeed acting as TOURIST we can not be jammed up with the IRS.
   Like you I do think the VPN is helpful. Thanks for sharing your knowledge on this subject

What I meant with the marriage issue as it pertains to SS benefits is this: If you've been married for 10 years to your VNese bride she and her children 18 and younger (older if in college I believe) can draw on your benefits. She gets yours plus each of the children get a separate amount. So if you are skirting the rules what effect would this have on her when you pass. Then too even if you are following the rules does anyone know how she claims her check if VN continues to report vital statistics?

What is a VPN and what do I do with it? (please be nice people)

Solo,
  precisely what I was trying to point out. If you continue the research under "change of address', failure to do so......! As I recall not good, no denaro.

VPN is a service you can subscribe to (e.g. HIDEMYASS) that provides a virtual IP address. For example no matter what internet service provider you us your IP address is attached to everything you send from your computer is identified by your IP address. So, say you use Yahoo as your internet provider and you live in Colorado Springs CO and you send me an email, the law and everyone on earth can track your msg traffic back to CS, CO. Then you and your laptop take a trip to
Las Vegas, or HCMC you will then be seen coming out of that location. The VPN will assign you an IP address say in Dallas (you get to select where). As long as you have your VPN program up and running all your traffic will appear to come out of Dallas. I've used it all over the world and it has never failed. It is quit useful when you are in a place like VN where many of the server are blackballed for not being secure and safe (hackers). hope that helps explain VPN. Sorry we did not explain the acronym, big faux pas.

Tell me folks, would this somewhat circumvent the obstacles. I can xfer funds from my credit union account electronically to Paypal who will xfer the funds to my brides VNese Paypal, all at no cost.
We can then withdraw the funds from her bank via debit or in bank withdrawals. So my SS check continues to go to my US institution bank, my resident address remains with my ex-wife while i TRAVEL the world. Would I need to report to the embassy to give a look at my mug?

I just did some research on SS benefits for surviving spouses and I was way off and stand corrected.
A Vnese spouse or any alien spouse can not draw on your benefits unless they have what was the   old "Green Card" , now called something else by the DHLS folks, or be naturalized citizens. oops!
Must do some different retirement planning for the bride now.

I just saw a post on the blog from Tran Hung Dao. He indicates that the folks from the Consulate in Saigon have an alternate location in Da Nang to provide services to US citizens in that area. Does that mean the folks in the area don't have to report to Saigon every month to sign-in, they can do it in Da Nang??

Budman,
   I had read that they intended to open a consulate office there. Don't know if it ever happened.
I wold think that you could show your face there.Sure hope they come up with something better than now. It would be nice if VN would report when we kicked the bucket. I wonder why that is such a difficult thing to do.

bta87 wrote:

Budman,
   I had read that they intended to open a consulate office there. Don't know if it ever happened.
I wold think that you could show your face there.Sure hope they come up with something better than now. It would be nice if VN would report when we kicked the bucket. I wonder why that is such a difficult thing to do.

They do report it...

Budman1 wrote:

I just saw a post on the blog from Tran Hung Dao. He indicates that the folks from the Consulate in Saigon have an alternate location in Da Nang to provide services to US citizens in that area. Does that mean the folks in the area don't have to report to Saigon every month to sign-in, they can do it in Da Nang??

I signed up for a e-newsletter and they send it about once a month letting me know what's going on. 

I am passing this newsletter "to any other U.S. citizens" I "may be aware of, and encourage" you "to sign up with the Embassy or Consulate to receive the newsletter in the future."

My patriotic duty for the day:

_______

U.S. Embassy Hanoi/U.S. Consulate General Ho Chi Minh City
United States Citizen Services (USCS) Newsletter

August 2013

The U.S. Embassy in Hanoi and U.S. Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City are sending the following monthly newsletter via the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) as a public service to U.S. citizens in Vietnam.  Please pass this newsletter on to any other U.S. citizens you may be aware of, and encourage them to sign up with the Embassy or Consulate to receive the newsletter in the future.

In this issue:

1. Operating hours for ACS HCMC
2. Holiday Closures
3. U.S. Citizen Services Visit to Da Nang
4. Beware of Theft
5. Staying Healthy and Safe
6. Travel Alerts and Warnings
7. Register Your Travel
8. Embassy and Consulate Location and Hours

------------------------------------
1. Operating Hours for U.S. Citizens

OPERATING HOURS FOR U.S. CITIZEN SERVICES HCMC
Effective Friday, March 1, 2013, the U.S. Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City changed its days of offering routine services to U.S. citizens. The new schedule is:

Monday               8:30 – 11:30 am
Tuesday               8:30 – 11:30 am
Wednesday            CLOSED
Thursday             8:30 – 11:30 am
Friday                    8:30 – 11:30 am

Please note that we will be closed on Wednesdays to the general public for routine services. We will still provide emergency services on Wednesdays.

The schedule of afternoon appointments for Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBAs) has not changed. You may book an appointment for a CRBA by going to the Website at: http://hochiminh.usconsulate.gov/

The schedule of operations for Embassy Hanoi will remain the same: Hours for Hanoi are 8:30 – 11:30 and 1:00 – 3:30, Monday through Friday. All services in Hanoi are by appointment only. You may book an appointment by going to the Website: http://vietnam.usembassy.gov/acs_appoin … stem.html.

2. Holiday Closures
The Embassy and Consulate will be closed on the following days:

September 2, 2013                             U.S. Labor Day and Vietnamese National Day

Please be advised that the days just before and after a holiday are usually exceptionally busy in the U.S. Citizen Services Unit.  Do not be surprised at a longer wait for consular services on those days.

A complete list of all of our holiday closings for 2013 is available on-line at http://vietnam.usembassy.gov/holidays.html.

-------------------------------

Officials from the U.S. Citizen Services unit in Ho Chi Minh City will offer consular services in Da Nang on September 13.  A consular officer will be available on Friday, September 13, 2013, from 10:00 am to 1:00 pm at the Bread of Life restaurant, 4 Dong Da, Da Nang.

Consulate officials will offer notarial services, deliver federal benefits checks, and U.S. citizens will be able to apply for U.S. passports.

At this time, officials will not be interviewing for consular reports of birth abroad.  Also, visa and immigration services will not be provided.  Only the services listed above will be available during the visit to Da Nang.  For additional information concerning applying for U.S. passports and notary services please see our Website at: http://hochiminh.usconsulate.gov.

---------------------------
4.   Beware of Theft

We are still seeing a lot of purse snatchings and bag grabs lately. When on the streets be mindful of your possessions. Keep them close, and don't let them out of your sight. The thieves are faster than you can imagine. An unattended bag can be gone in an instant. Don't carry unnecessary ID (such as your U.S. driver's license) nor all of your credit cards with you. If you need to carry a credit card, carry just one. Leave the others in your hotel safe, hotel safe-deposit box, or at home. It's also wise not to carry all of your cash with you.

Also, don't carry your passport unless you absolutely have to. Carry a copy of your passport and visa and leave the passport in your hotel safe or at home.

5. Staying Healthy and Safe

Typhoon Season

There is increased tropical storm activity which may affect Vietnam.  Reports on developing storm activity are available on http://www.usno.navy.mil/JTWC/ . In the event of severe tropical depressions, please note the following recommendations to ensure minimal disruption or damage to yourself and your property:
·      secure loose outdoor items around the home;
·      fill vehicles and generator fuel tanks;
·      check and charge all cell phones:
·      check and assemble flashlights, tools, and first aid kits;
·      procure batteries, candles, matches, potable water, canned or dry food, pet foods, medications, etc.
Dengue Fever

With the rainy season under way, Dengue Fever is a high risk throughout Vietnam.
Dengue virus is present in all tropical and many subtropical areas worldwide. The mosquitoes that carry dengue bite most often in the morning and evening and during hot, wet times of the year. However, they can bite and spread infection all year long and at any time of day.
Apply insect repellent sparingly to exposed skin. An effective repellent will contain 20% to 30% DEET (N,N-diethyl-m-toluamide). DEET in high concentrations (>30%) may cause side effects, particularly in children. Therefore, avoid formulations containing >30% DEET. Use aerosols in an open space to avoid inhalation. Avoid applying repellent to the hands of children.
Wear long-sleeved clothing and long pants if you are outdoors during the day and evening.
-----------------------------
6. Travel Alerts and Warnings
-----------------------------
On August 2, 2013, the State Department issued a Worldwide travel Alert. Please click the link to see details:
http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cis_ … _6042.html

The U.S. Department of State regularly issues travel alerts or travel warnings for various countries and regions. Travel warnings issued in the last month or so include the Philippines, Kenya, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Yemen, Mexico, El Salvador, Niger, and Mali.

For information regarding all travel alerts and warnings, please go to this site: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_t … 1764.html.

The Department of State has issued a Worldwide Caution on the continuing threat of terrorist actions and violence against U.S. citizens and interests throughout the world. U.S. citizens are reminded to maintain a high level of vigilance and to take appropriate steps to increase their security awareness.  For the current advisory please visit http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_t … 4787.html.

.----------------------------------
7. Register Your Travel
----------------------------------

It is a good idea to register your travel with the State Department so that you may be contacted if need be, whether because of a family emergency in the U.S., or because of a crisis in the area in which you are traveling. Travel registration is a free service provided by the State Department, and is easily accomplished online at https://travelregistration.state.gov.  (In accordance with the Privacy Act, the Department of State may not release information on your welfare or whereabouts to inquirers without your express written authorization.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8. Embassy and Consulate Location and Office Hours
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

American Citizen Services
U.S. Embassy in Hanoi
170 Ngoc Khanh, Ba Dinh District
Hanoi, Vietnam

Email: [email protected]
Telephone: (84-4) 3850-5000 ext. 6133 or 6103
Fax: (84-4) 3850-5010

Notarial services, passport services, Consular Reports of Birth Abroad, and other services by appointment only (please visit our webpage for appointment information).

American Citizen Services
U.S. Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City
4 Le Duan, District 1
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Email: [email protected]
Telephone: (84-8) 3520-4200
Fax: (84-8) 3520-4244

Passport, Notarial, and other services: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, 8:30 - 11:30 a.m.
Consular Report of Birth Abroad by appointment only (please visit our webpage for appointment information).

This email is UNCLASSIFIED.

I found this on another Internet blog.  It is UNVERIFIED ...gimme a few days to read the actual CFR.

The Social Security Administration has removed Vietnam and Democratic Kampuchea (now Cambodia) from the list of countries in 20 CFR §404.460(c)(3) to which Social Security benefits may not be sent under restrictions imposed by the Department of the Treasury. This revision reflects published Treasury regulations in 1996 and 2001 that removed the restrictions on sending federal payments to beneficiaries living in those countries. In addition, the SSA is updating the citation for Treasury's authority to restrict payments to beneficiaries living in certain countries. The regulations at 20 CFR §460(b)(2)(ii), (c)(1) and (c)(2) are revised to refer to the appropriate statute. A typographical error in the heading to Reg. §404.460 is also corrected. The regulation became effective on September 25, 2009.

The full text of the SSA's announcement was published in the September 25, 2009, Federal Register (74 Fed. Reg. 48855).

Tran Hung Dao wrote:

I found this on another Internet blog.  It is UNVERIFIED ...gimme a few days to read the actual CFR.

The Social Security Administration has removed Vietnam and Democratic Kampuchea (now Cambodia) from the list of countries in 20 CFR §404.460(c)(3) ....

The full text of the SSA's announcement was published in the September 25, 2009, Federal Register (74 Fed. Reg. 48855).

VerifiedGood to go!

Here's the text from the U.S. Government Printing Office's website.

Since the enactment of those rules, we have provided payment to beneficiaries living in Vietnam and Cambodia. However, our regulations were not updated to reflect the changes in Treasury's rules. We are removing Vietnam and Democratic Kampuchea from the list of countries subject to alien payment restrictions consistent with the change in policy implemented by Treasury. 20 CFR 404.460(c)(3).

You can read the whole thing at this link

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2009-09 … -22883.htm

That would of taken a lawyer maybe 2 hours to research so .... a lawyer's billing rate = $200/hour x 2 hours = $400.

If this information was valuable to you, you can pay me $400 by buying lunch (do not give money) to the next/closest random poor lottery seller/beggar/poor person you come across.  (If you snark at this request, then you seriously got problems in your head and your heart about spending 50 cents/a buck to help someone.)

bta87 wrote:

Has anyone heard if there is a move afoot to do the required reporting so that Vietnam can be removed from the U.S. Social Security Administrations  restricted status? I thought I had heard that VN was going to start reporting vital statistics of expats living in VN.

Vietnam has been removed from the U.S. SSA's restricted status list.

Budman1 wrote:

.... Does that mean the folks in the area don't have to report to Saigon every month to sign-in, they can do it in Da Nang??

Yes I would think you don't need to go to HCMC since:

"Consulate officials will .... deliver federal benefits checks ..."

Tran Hung Dao wrote:
Budman1 wrote:

.... Does that mean the folks in the area don't have to report to Saigon every month to sign-in, they can do it in Da Nang??

Yes I would think you don't need to go to HCMC since:

"Consulate officials will .... deliver federal benefits checks ..."

But I'm wayyyyy down in the Delta. Won't do me any good. Lucky folks in Da Nang......