Foreigner motorbike registration

Does anyone know what documents I would need to register a new motorbike in my name? Do you need a Temporary resident card?

I think you need a VN drivers license and a certified or registered rental agreement plus God knows what else!!

I found it much easier to have it registered in my landlords personal name. Yes there is risk involved even tho he signed a contract with me.

The first and last time I tried this was back in '09, and they wanted my Ho Khau, which I didn't have.  So, I put the thing in the name of a Vietnamese friend.  I later learned that not only the registration process became much cheaper and faster, but if the bike ever get impounded, it would cost me far less to get it back.

Now, not only that I have a bike to get around with, but I also have a pretty good Vietnamese friend to hang out with.

I'm with Howie on this one. I bought my motorbike from the lady who was renting it to me, and just left it in her name. We just wrote up an agreement and signed it, and she gave me the registration card to keep with me. The best thing about my arrangement is the sticker for her shop is still on the bike, and if I get stopped by the CSGT, I just play the dumb tourist act and show them the sticker. They let me go every time.

laceytim1972 wrote:

Does anyone know what documents I would need to register a new motorbike in my name? Do you need a Temporary resident card?

Hi Laceytim,

Regarding to Motorbike Registration, as I know, you need a Temporary Resident Card if you want it under your name, then the Registered number will have the letter "NN" (meanning "Nuoc' Ngoai`" (foreigner) :D. Or you can have Indentify card of some Vietnamese to do this. By this way, Registered Number of your bike will not have "NN" but as usual here. You can ask the shop where you bought motorbike to do this Motorbike registration for you.

Wish your have a smooth registration ^^
Xuan

Getting a Vietnamese friend or girlfriend to register a new motorbike for you is common enough that the police don't even question anything when you go to the police station to register it.

Well, I'll have to say xuanxuan gets the prize for being the only one on this thread who answered the OP's question. Sorry about that. The rest of us mean well. :D

Thanks to all for replying. A special thanks to xuanxuan for her relevant information. Looks like I won't be able to register it in my name as my employer won't help me get the temp. resident card needed for the foreigner plates as I am only part-time where I teach. They only assist full-time teachers with the TRC.

So, I will be registering the bike in my gfs name. I might be able to go to the notary office in SG and do a contract for sale and transfer later. Not sure if the licence plate has to be changed over when doing this. Does anyone know much about this?

I have read about having a letter of permission from the person on the registration card with my motorbike. This apparently helps when trying to prove to police that I have consent to use the bike even though I paid for it. Can anyone provide further info on this 'letter of permission' such as what is required in it or even supply a sample letter? This might be a good thing to keep with the bike rego card.