Registration upon arrival to Denmark - advice needed!

Hello everybody!

I have a question. I'm going to arrive to Copenhagen at the end of August/beginning of September following the receipt of the Green Card visa. In the cover letter which I received along with it, it is stated that in order to get the CPR number, I have to register myself at the "Borgerservice" no later than 5 days after arrival to Denmark.

On Kobenhavns Kommune's website (http://goo.gl/vA6ylQ) it is stated that in order to receive the CPR number, along with all the other documentation I will have to present the confirmation of accommodation in Copenhagen, and to indicate my address in Copenhagen in order to receive the CPR card by mail.

My question is: does it mean that a person is obliged to find an accommodation within five days upon arrival to Denmark, or do they imply something else here? My intention was to book a room in a hotel for a week or so, while looking for a room to rent, but I wasn't aware of this five days period, as I'm not sure whether it will be possible to find a room to rent and to appear at the Borgerservice, all in a five days time.

Perhaps there is someone who has been in a similar situation, I would be very grateful for information on this matter - is the five days period so strict indeed? Or it's not something I have to worry about? I would be grateful for advice.

Best regards,
Ronnie.

Try to have some room viewing appointments ready before you arrive so you dont have to spend all your money in a hotel room.

Let them know that you can view the rooms upon arrivals - it can take some days to find an apartment , especially if you or they are not happy with what they see.

Try to give Københavns Kommune a ring and ask them about your particular situation.

I myself have lived abroad and returned to Denmark - however my situation was entirely different as I already had accommodation so I just needed to go to " Folkeregister".

You mentioned "Borgerservice" , borger means citizen and this service is as you already know available at the muncipality office.

Try to read this section from the København Kommunes homepage;

subsite.kk.dk/sitecore/content/Subsites/CityOfCopenhagen/SubsiteFrontpage/MovingToCopenhagen.aspx

Denmark is very beaucratic so it is important you stick with dates, deadlines etc.

Thank you very much for your reply and your advices! That's what I initially decided to do, to contact the landlords via email to try and set the appointments for visiting the rooms upon my arrival. I've been searching for a room online at such websites, as Boligportal, DBA and Boligbasen since mid-July, stating that I am ready to view the property right after I arrive, but so far I haven't got one positive reply for a potential meeting. I tended to think that it might be due to the fact that I am not in Denmark yet, and after I arrive to Copenhagen and I'm ready to immediately come and see the room, things will run smoother and faster - but I'm not so sure now, to be honest.

Thanks for the link to København Kommunes homepage, it is very useful indeed. I've actually visited it already, that's where I've read about the rule of having to prove the accommodation presence upon registration (it hasn't been stated on the Green Card documents which I received). I have contacted the KK via email approximately 1 week ago but still haven't got a reply. I think I'm gonna wait till the next week and if there's still no reply from them, I'll try to give them a call on the phone.

Yeah, I know that the deadlines and dates are of utter importance, that's why when I saw that I have to present the accommodation proof I became a little uneasy, as it looks like if I don't have enough time to find a room within five days, they will refuse my registration/CPR number - I just don't know what else to think. I believe though that there's got to be some flexibility in the matter, ability of prolongation of the initial period, etc.

The fact that you are not in Denmark yet does indeed make it more difficult for you to make an appointment - because the landlords are often not willing to "wait" in case you do not turn up - or they might get earlier room viewing appointments.

I think I saw one in an advert on tv called Leje bolig and when I look it up I see this website which I think is the one

lejebolig.dk/

I have also heard of the one you mentioned , Boligportalen.

As far as I know all of these are in the private proporty market as one needs to be signed up for public housing and it can take years to get an apartment in Copenhagen through them.

- Yes you will definately need to call them to sort things out, try to call them tomorrow

ronniesafarov wrote:

Thank you very much for your reply and your advices! That's what I initially decided to do, to contact the landlords via email to try and set the appointments for visiting the rooms upon my arrival. I've been searching for a room online at such websites, as Boligportal, DBA and Boligbasen since mid-July, stating that I am ready to view the property right after I arrive, but so far I haven't got one positive reply for a potential meeting. I tended to think that it might be due to the fact that I am not in Denmark yet, and after I arrive to Copenhagen and I'm ready to immediately come and see the room, things will run smoother and faster - but I'm not so sure now, to be honest.

Thanks for the link to København Kommunes homepage, it is very useful indeed. I've actually visited it already, that's where I've read about the rule of having to prove the accommodation presence upon registration (it hasn't been stated on the Green Card documents which I received). I have contacted the KK via email approximately 1 week ago but still haven't got a reply. I think I'm gonna wait till the next week and if there's still no reply from them, I'll try to give them a call on the phone.

Yeah, I know that the deadlines and dates are of utter importance, that's why when I saw that I have to present the accommodation proof I became a little uneasy, as it looks like if I don't have enough time to find a room within five days, they will refuse my registration/CPR number - I just don't know what else to think. I believe though that there's got to be some flexibility in the matter, ability of prolongation of the initial period, etc.

I see this website, Expats, has a " Housing" section - try to go there and post an add also.

Many thanks once again for your advices. Yeah, it's definitely a good idea to post an ad here too. I will sign up for the Lejebolig as well, it looks like a big website. And you're right, I will try to call the KK tomorrow. Will it be OK to speak English with them right away? I know a little bit of Danish by self-learning, but I think I'd rather use English to facilitate the conversation. Or, in other words, to make them understand me at all :)

Yes in fact they will have an "English option" when you call the number, maybe they will ask you to press 4 for English or something

I'd also go to AirBnB and see if you could find a semi long-term rental (like for 2 months) where it would be OK to register your address.  A lot of them don't want to rent for 2 months, but I've found a couple that will. And AirBnB doesn't release the funds until you actually check in at the place you will be staying.

My husband and I are applying under the greencard scheme and we know we'll qualify, so I'm in the process right now myself of getting everything lined up for before we finally get our permits.

From my perspective, it'll be a heck of a lot easier to have a 2-month stay lined up (or even a 1-month stay lined up) so that when we get there, we can drop our stuff off, and then go get our CPR number and tax number and register, either the day we show up, or the next.

Best regards,

Andrea

Dear friends, thank you very much for your advices. I've called them on the phone today, and what the lady basically said is that she advises me to contact them upon arrival, as then it will be easier for them to deal with a concrete situation than now on the phone when I'm not there. But she said that in general it shouldn't be a problem if a person registers him/herself within a week upon arrival, as long as it's not two or three weeks. A week is better than five days, so I'm a bit more relieved now. 

Thank you Andrea for your advice regarding AirBnB, it's a great website indeed, last year on my trip to USA I've used this website and I've had a great experience with it. The only problem is that the currently available rental options for a month plus in Copenhagen is a bit too pricey for me, still cheaper than staying for a month in a hotel of course, but the hotel option doesn't come into consideration anyway since one has to provide the authorities with an actual address so they could send the ID Card to it. But basically your idea is great, it would be excellent to have a 'temporarily permanent' place for a month or two to drop the stuff off, sort things out and get accustomed to a new environment. So I think I'll continue looking for a place, AirBnb included as well, of course, plus the new website Lejebolig (thanks new_in_norway!), and I'll publish an ad here on Expat too.

Good luck to you Andrea and your husband!

P.S. If someone who has already come to Denmark through the Green Card comes upon this topic, I'd still be very glad to hear your stories and advices on the registration process, so you're very welcome to post them here :)

Best wishes to everyone,

Ronnie

Hi everyone,

New to Expat.com. A quick question regarding the proof of residence letter needed for the CPR registration on arrival in Denmark.
A friend of mine who lives in Copenhagen (i will be living with him) has provided me with a letter declaring my residence at his accommodation, as I would be sharing the room with him until i find a room of my own in a few months.
Would a letter from him suffice or is there a specific format that is required to be submitted?

I would be arriving in a weeks time(on a Green Card Work Permit) so a quick response would be most appreciated.

Best regards,
Arjun M

avm1599 wrote:

A friend of mine who lives in Copenhagen (i will be living with him) has provided me with a letter declaring my residence at his accommodation, as I would be sharing the room with him until i find a room of my own in a few months.

Hello Arjun M,
Did that work for you? I hope so as I may be in the same situation soon, and it would definitely make my life much easier to know that staying with a friend is enough to issue a CPR.

Thanks!