How to make friends in Beijing

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals or expatriates) when you're living in Beijing :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Beijing??

Thanks in advance for your participation

Expat.com wrote:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Beijing??

Do not sit in front of the computer all day and night but go out and meet people in the real world.

Beijing is full of events, professional, sport, social and most of these events are attended by people who also want to meet people.

So stop reading this and go to an event that tickles your fancy.

making friends is a personal skill that can't really be taught.

Niro true, but as I am oft quoted as saying

"Networking is an art,
be not afraid to start."

Manlin, I like your quote,

How about
"join the network"
"don't sit under the cork"

Or....

Networking is a skill,
not simply a cheap thrill.

wow Manlin,
I give up, I serrender,  you're too strong for me :)

i think a website for meeting should be set up

There is Beijing stuff: http://www.bjstuff.com/:)

I agree with Gullekian BJ Stuff is a good site.

Thanks Manlin,

By the way, I'll be coming to your event on Tuesday, I'm out of Beijing now but I'll be back Sunday night.

Hope I'll have the chance to meet you   :)

I'm a spine surgeon work in beijing. Last year, I have been in Vancouver, Canada for one year and Minneapolis, USA and Philadelphia USA, Phenix USA for 3 months. I know the loneliness in abroad, so I wanna make friend and wanna show you everything in Beijing. I'm very appreciate for help you live in Beijing and hope you have a good time in China. My email: [email protected]

'Be in no doubt,get out and about!'

@ Dave ...How about? ...If in doubt, scream and shout  :D

or maybe... If in doubt, get thee out

alternatively...
Say thee not mirror, mirror on the wall,
but go and make that dream phone call

Haha

This is hilarious.  I dunno if i fell any more informed, but you made me laugh!

Beijinger, TimeOut Beijing, City Weekend and also The Book worm cafe have millions of events between them and plenty free.

I've been here just a week, so planning on making use of some of these and have a go!

hello there em looking for zimbabwean friends

em looking for zimbabwean friends living in beijing.

Welcome on board tatenda ;)

I guess a short presentation will be appreciated and will ease communication with other members...

@ Tatenda why only Zimbabwean friends?

There are so many things happening in Beijing. Just pick up one of the expat mags ot visit one of the expat magazines websites and you will find loads of information.

If only intereste in Zimbabwean then maybe best to post in Men looking for Women / Women looking for Men section.

@ One and Sundry - Seriously though one of the ways to ensure that you are lonely is to sit on the computer all day and all night.

I personally organise get-togethers/ social networking events nearly every Tuesday. In addition to mine there are all sorts of things going, something for nearly every taste.

I think one of the best way to meet people is by going out. I find that many english speaking people visit the silk market. That could be a start, help them to bargain just might be fun. Its a start.:):):)

IT IS EASY,MOST CHINESE ARE EASY GOING.

Hi AMECO,

Welcome to expat-blog, an introduction might be most welcome. :)

Can you please avoid posting in caps lock, this make your text difficult to read.

P.S: Please note that this topic is old.

Thank you,

David.

Hello I am an Indian Guy from Darjeeling Hills, just came here a week ago I need some friends to talk or chat with as I am falling homesick day by day. I dont speak a word in chinese

oh thats a great idea but i can come out only in week ends.

I am an Indian guy, atleast we can speak in english

I believe anyone can improve on any skills if the want to.

Can Zimbabweans get TEFL Jobs in China

It is in built  and should be a two way attraction

Hello good people

The only trouble with making friends with other expats is that oftentimes after 2 or 3 years they relocate to another country. I've been in China since the 90s and almost everyone I have made friends with moves away or back home after a short time