Will explore Indonesia one day!

I'm an Aussie guy living near Sydney. I want to travel to Jakarta Indonesia soon. I don't care much for touristy places. I'm more for traditional experiences and meeting the people and eating the local food.

Just thought I'd join up and check out the community.

Can't wait to travel to Indo!

Hello RandangMan.

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I've moved your message to the Jakarta Forum for more visibility.

Thanks and best of luck.

Karen :)

RandangMan wrote:

I'm an Aussie guy living near Sydney. I want to travel to Jakarta Indonesia soon. I don't care much for touristy places. I'm more for traditional experiences and meeting the people and eating the local food.

Just thought I'd join up and check out the community.

Can't wait to travel to Indo!

Good stuff.
Check out my photo thread for ideas.

hi Randangman..nice to meet you^^
hope you'll enjoy your holiday! :),I'd like to suggest you if you like nature and culture, you should visit Yogyakarta or Bali, in Jogja there are many beautiful beaches, such as Ngobaran beach,Indrayati,Siung,etc.If you like caving, you can go to Gua Pindul,Gua Jomblang. If you wanna taste Javanese Royal food,you can eat it at Bale Raos,Yogyakarta. It's owned by Gusti Kanjeng Ratu Hemas,she's Sri Sultan's X wife. Sri Sultan Hamengkubuwono X is the King of Yogyakarta palace,he's also Yogyakarta governor. You can visit Keraton Yogyakarta too if you like history. There's also Sendratari Ramayana at Prambanan Temple. In Bali,there's a Bedugul lake,you can watch Barong dance if you like. oh ya don't forget to eat Gado-Gado,Lotek,Empek Empek,Soto when you visit Indonesia. It's delicious,but be aware of the spicy level,you can request it before you order lotek or gado gado.

I can show you some great rubbish dumps and illegal villages that stink of poo and are rat infested.
There are orphanages with makeshift buildings and schools with no books if you want to see what isn't in the tourist brochures.

RandangMan, get a copy of the excellent film documentary, Ring of Fire by brothers Lorne and Lawrence Blair.

While now a few decades old, there simply isn't a better introduction to the endless variety, flora, fauna, geography, culture, that is Indonesia.

Ring of Fire is the text book/film when it comes to Indonesia, 101...it's just that simple.

Hello randangman,, I wish u'll get some unforgetable moment when you visit here indonesia jakarta,, about traditional experiences maybe yyou can come here in juny until july is about jakarta anniversary  there is a lot of discount at 73 mall around jakarta, and also some jakarta traditional event,, about eating the local food, do you know Your name is similiar with one of the best food in indonesia, we call it "Rendang" really delicious u have to try it ;) ,, there no nature panorama here, just a beach in thousand island,, if u wanna get traditional experiences and enjoy nature panorama I suggest u to visit some place in java island like bromo montain, borobudur tample, prambanan and many others,, if u need any information about jakarta or indonesia u can contact me,, I'll help you as I can,, cheers ;)