Considering a move to the Caribbean

I am considering a move to the Caribbean, and since I'm American Registered Nurse, thought the US Virgin Islands might be a good place. I am thinking of opening a home health agency there, but have heard the hospital may close and that residents are going to Puerto Rico for care. This concerns me, but I still want more info - housing and cost of living, etc.

Hello melskybell,

I have created a new topic as from your post on the Virgin Islands forum for a better visibility.

All the best,

Francesca

I live there in the 1990's , I now live in the Dominican Republic. I prefer it way more then VI. Dominicans are way more friendly. To me the American VI are dead islands, They never used to be but they really do not produce much and the largest employer closed down. They do not export much of anything. I would look elsewhere to locate it was me. Some people may still like it there..this is just my opinion. The hospital closed for a reason

Hi -

The cost of life here is higher than in US but you can save some money if you shop around for groceries (a lot of people shop for groceries in 3 different store. after a certain periof of time you will learn what is cheaper where), make every effort to save on energy bill (make sure the lights are off, use ceiling fans istead of ac), cook at home. It all depends on you.

Also, you dont need winter close here and all beaches are free.

[moderated: no free ads]