Looking to move to Costa Rica. Maybe?

A few years ago, my spouse and I first talked about going to Costa Rica to teach in schools. We both could teach a foreign language, other than just english, but also, we are skilled in other subjects as well including math and computer programming (in multiple langiages).

What are the possibilities for a couple like us, both at between 45-50 years old? How much could we expect to earn?

And basically, how much would we expect to pay for housing for a 2 bedroom, and for food each month?

Had it back of mind and then spouse brought it up, so maybe??

We don't have $$milions$$ saved up, but we do have enough to get started

You cannot legally work until you have permanent residency which would take 3+ years.  There are a few exceptions to this but they require sponsorship.
Cheers .... Terry

So, if a school was to sponsor us(have connections), are we allowed to teach also outside of regular hours(private tutoring to make extra money) or are there restrictions there as well?

What about opening a school?

I don't know the specifics of a sponsorship, that would be a question best directed to a lawyer, the administration or possibly to ARCR.  If you were to open a school you cannot work (teach legally) until you have permanent residency.  If you violate the rules and get caught you can expect to have you visa revoked and have to leave the country.

Oh my, talk about misinformation. Costa Rica DOES allow for people to work in specific areas.  Professional educators is one.  I have contacted a Tica friend to get the information that you'd need to inquire into this further.  I will post it here as soon as I have it.

The posters herein are correct that in general, especially re blue collar workers, it is illegal to work prior to obtaining you permanent residency. And, outside of the large cities, no one cares and there's no one to enforce it either way.  Keep in mind, average pay in this blue collar type work is about $2.50 - $3.00 per hour if you're lucky.

The schools here are desperate for "qualified" teachers.  I taught English at the local high school for a while and NO ONE was concerned that I didn't have my permanent residency yet.  The pay you can expect is 1/3 of what it would be in the States - fresh out of college.

You cannot imagine the quality of education these poor kids receive.  There also does not seem to be any real standard from one area to another.

They really NEED the help. Especially in the rural areas.

- Dave

That is not misinformation.  I know of five teachers that have applied to teach legaly and to date (two years later) only one is able to teach.  And this particular lady was sponsored by the school and also went through an attorney (as I suggested above).

Terry,

As I am sure you are aware from living here, there is an exception to every rule.  If you know the right people there is a way around pretty much everything.

In the rural areas they are desperate for teachers.  They actually close the classes for the day when the teacher is out sick or even goes to the doctor. 

As I always say, we all have varying opinions and experiences living here.

- Dave

I agree Dave, in my original post I said there were exceptions.  All I want to get across is that whoever plans on working in Costa Rica before obtaining their permanent residency should have all their ducks in a row with backing from the appropriate sources before committing to something that ends up causing them and their family grief.
Cheers .... Terry

My wife and I are both over 65 and will be moving next year to CR. We will be applying for our cedula card, but was wondering if anybody knows if you have your cedula in hand will they allow senior discounts. I was reading an article for seniors and in the article it said if you take a bus they will allow seniors that have their cedula a free ride up to 25kilm. and after that a discount on long distances.It sounds good, I hope its true.

So, is there any special requirements to become certified to teach in Costa Rica?

Also, on my 2nd question, roughly how much we need to expect to pay for a 2bedroom apt/whatever and food each month?

shouldwego
Try www.numbeo.com  for cost of living

Re Senior Discounts (Discounts in general)

You can get discounts on goods here from almost all shops whether you are a senior or not.  You just have to ask.  Discounts range from nothing to an average of 5%-10%.  But, if you don't ask, you won't get it. 

When I built my house I made a deal with a hardware store in Palmares that if I purchased all my building materials from them, they would discount everything 15%.  You can always make deals here.

Regarding the discount for seniors taking the bus, I don't know that one; however, it cost almost nothing to take a bus.  The 6 km. but trip from near my casa into San Ramon is only 200 colones (40 cents).  The bus from San Ramon into San Jose is 2,500 colones ($5).  Round trip bus ticket, on a nice bus, from San Ramon to Nicaragua was 25,000 colones ($50) per person.

- Dave

"So, is there any special requirements to become certified to teach in Costa Rica?"

Also, on my 2nd question, roughly how much we need to expect to pay for a 2bedroom apt/whatever and food each month?"

Both of these questions are hard to answer.  Living here is NOT like living in North America or Europe.  Yes, there are strict requirements to become a certified teacher here; HOWEVER, you can find teaching positions without being certified.  There are often grey lines here between legal and semi-legal.  You have A LOT more freedoms here in all areas of living compared to the States.  Until you live here a while, make friends and connections, it is just not possible to explain how it all works.

With a Tica friend in tow, I met with a local principal.  He did not want to be quoted in anyway.  He did say that they are very, very desperate for "real" teachers, especially those educated in the States, etc.  If you are financially able, you should come down and experience how life is here first.  At the same time meet with as many school officials as you can.  Again, this applies to rural schools.  San Jose and the larger cities are another world and another story.

COST OF HOUSING:  Depends where you want to live and what life style you choose.  "Average" house outside of the large cities is about $700 per month.  Look at Craigslist Costa Rica and it will give you a good idea.

FOOD:  Again, depends on your life style.  My daughter and I spend an average of $500-$600 per month on food, gas, dog food, clothes, going out to eat and whatever extras come along.  We don't skimp on food but we also don't eat much meat.  House is all electric and we average $75 per month for electricity.

- Dave

Sorry, but you seem to be looking at the wrong country for what you want to do.

You will not make a living wage working here, unless you want the poor life as a Tico does here.  That means a shack for a house, rice and beans for every meal. It is difficult for outsiders to get any work here. People, like North Americans do not come for here for jobs. The government here provides for the native born citizens. Cradle to Grave. You may find a job here, its possible, but only if you are willing to become a citizen of this country. The process of becoming a citizen here requires a lot of money and a long time. There is a ton of paperwork that will seem unending. However, keep in mind during the whole process that the people here don't really want you here and the government will put up obstacles to thwart your desires. You seem educated and smart. Do NOT make a decision to move here unless you come here for a visit and see for yourself what this place is like. If you do come here for a visit and talk with other Americans, listen carefully and after awhile you will be able to sort out the BS and the reality of what they are saying. Yes, the Americans here will not always tell you the truth. I have been lied to more by expats than the Ticos. Expats even lie about their professions before coming here.

This is NOT paradise. I live here because I am retired and have a small monthly income so I live comfortable here. I wanted away from the snow and cold and to live peacefully. I am here and I like it. However, I also understand what is going on around me and even though I don't accept everything I know and see, I can live here because I am very adaptable. Yes, I cuss and I am dumbfounded often, but I live a quiet and peaceful life. I know why I am here and I enjoy my life. I enjoy what I am able to enjoy and forget all the BS around me. Oh, and one more thing! Unless you are willing to become conversant in Spanish, DON'T COME HERE!

In general it is hard to make a living as an expatriate in CR unless you start your own business and then there are rules about working in your own business vs managing it, check arcr.net for more info.

That said if you're willing to work illegally and the risk of being kicked out and not allowed back in, you can probably do that and probably not get caught.

You might also be able to get a private school to sponsor you.

It's not a slam dunk to work as a teacher in CR and you might not make much $ but where there's a will there's a way.

... and, as you can see from "some" posts here, if you come with a positive attitude and do want to assimilate, you can find "your" paradise here.  Or, you can come and be a grumpy old man like "some."  Some people are just unhappy no matter where they live, can't change that.  My glass has always been half-full.

- Dave

Your cedula (resident ID card)will allow you to ride the local buses for free. You will need to get a Gold card from the Costa Rican Social Security (free) you must be 65+ to get it, then you will get a discount almost every large store (super markets) mainly. You must show it at the beginning of any transaction they will not ask for it. I also use my frequent shopper card at the Auto Mercado grocery store ( the best super market ) in Costa Rica, but they are in the San Jose/central valley area only.

Hi Saltygunny, Pura Vida! Good info. as soon as I get my cedula I will go get my gold card. Jerry

Salty,

Thanks for this info., I've never heard this before.

- Dave

hello.  I have a doctorate degree.  I recently quit teaching math
at a private high school in Escazu.  the hours were long and the owner/director was difficult.  I was making $800 a month.  I am 57 years old.

My wife Works at a call center she makes $5 an hour.  If you are a computer wiz you can make $10 an hour.

Where I live Escazu a small 1 bd apt costs $600 per month.
I own my home w/o a mortgage.  I bought it in 2000 for $45k  it is worth $160k.  my property taxes are $100 a year and my total utilities are $100 a month.

We live on my wifes $600 salary while i look for a job.  There is very Little employment for foreigners and my job prospects are very por.  I doubt that you or I will find a job here.

I will get $1000 a month Soc. sec at age 62  5 years from now, cant wait.  We will be able to live comfortably on $1600
w/o a mortgage or rent payment.

good luck