Moving to Scotland

Hi, I am 15 years old about to be 16 and I am moving to Scotland. I am moving in with a host family and am about to attend Queensferry High School. I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips about moving here from the states. Anything that you have to say would be greatly appreciated.

[Moderated: Off topic]

Scotland is an interesting place to live. I suggest looking up some of the words used here that are different from in the US. For example, the American word "chips" is "crips" here, "French fries" are "chips", and "pants" here mean "underwear" so you may get some snickers for referring to your jeans in that way. :o) Get out and do stuff while you are here. Go on walks and hikes. See as much as you can. Be assertive and talk to people to make friends. Be aware that because of the difference in accents and some of the words used, you'll probably have some good laughs and confusing moments! Do some research on cultural differences and look up information about the country/city.

Shopping is a bit different. You'll probably find yourself going to smaller shops more often instead of large department stores. Many schools go on class trips at each grade level, and most schools (public or private) require uniforms. I see most of the girls here wearing their skirts with black hose and ankle-high boots. Get some cute boots and wellies (rain boots, which you WILL wear) before coming because it will be cheaper to buy in the US. Get a nice outdoor jacket/raincoat with a hood because you just never know when it's going to rain here. I'm not talking about a fluffy snow jacket, but something insulated (so warm) and waterproof that is also thin enough to not look like a marshmallow! Check in outdoor stores where you find camping/hiking gear. Good luck! I hope that you enjoy it here as much as I do.

Hi SmallTownOilWife!

This is an old thread.
Might be worth opening a new post as the info is useful.:)

Harmonie

Ha! I didn't even notice the date! I just received an e-mail about it. Strange.

Don't worry , that's nice , I realy needed those informations . Thank's :*