After all that's happened.....

How will Egyptians live together after this?

Ive seen countless people condone murder because some people have an oppossing political view. Everyone in Egypt says they want democracy but then they turn around as if their opinion is the only one that matters. I have no idea with all this hatred towards each other how you will ever live with each other again. The discrimination is going to be horrible ( and that's only if this situation even ever settles down)

Like the body heal itself...egyptians will do !!

If the situation deteriorates any further - and the 'crackdown' goes ahead - then I think the country is looking at a similar situation as Northern Ireland - and the hatred there was passed down and resurrected by generations.

A democracy is a country where you can have differing views, talk about them - argue about them even - then get on with life.  Even the best of friends can have opposing viewpounts/affiliations.
That is the difference here - in my husbands family there are differing views - and one brother decided that as the the other brother didn't agree and have the same views then hey are dead to each other.
Even now the brother has come home on vacation - the first brother won't see him won't talk to him and erased him from his facebook and phone contacts.
And these are not the only people where I know it has gone so far.

Does this kind of behaviour have a place in a democratic country!?

That's errible. Even if there's a political solution peoples attitudes, minds and opinions arent going to suddenly magically change. The divisions seem to be getting deeper and stronger. Whatever hate they have in their heart now will stay with them. I hope it doesn't grow and past on the future generations but that's more than likely what will happen I think. But I hope and pray magnum psyche is right.

biffy wrote:

If the situation deteriorates any further - and the 'crackdown' goes ahead - then I think the country is looking at a similar situation as Northern Ireland - and the hatred there was passed down and resurrected by generations.

A democracy is a country where you can have differing views, talk about them - argue about them even - then get on with life.  Even the best of friends can have opposing viewpounts/affiliations.
That is the difference here - in my husbands family there are differing views - and one brother decided that as the the other brother didn't agree and have the same views then hey are dead to each other.
Even now the brother has come home on vacation - the first brother won't see him won't talk to him and erased him from his facebook and phone contacts.

Such a sad situation is a clear result of mixing cards (religion with politics). Having political parties based on religious background is a backstab for the democracy.

With all due respect that is not the case. The case is simple, people believe their own opinions to be the absolute truth and believe others lives are less valuable.

MO2013 wrote:
biffy wrote:

Such a sad situation is a clear result of mixing cards (religion with politics). Having political parties based on religious background is a backstab for the democracy.

What Buffy said and what you said are polar opposites. She said everyone is entitled to their opinion and you went on blamed a certain group of people.

ExpatEnglishTeacher wrote:

With all due respect that is not the case. The case is simple, people believe their own opinions to be the absolute truth and believe others lives are less valuable.

MO2013 wrote:
biffy wrote:

What Buffy said and what you said are polar opposites. She said everyone is entitled to their opinion and you went on blamed a certain group of people.

I wasn't telling who is right and who is wrong. I was just saying that "mixing politics with religion" is completely wrong. The stated situation is a true example for the consequences of mixing politics with religion.

For us Egyptians "Arab" family bonds are somethings we respect the most as it is an Arab culture matter. Above that, specifically for the Egyptian Muslims, family bonds are strictly protected by Islam. In Islam the behavior mentioned above is called "Cut the ties of kinship".

Now let me ask you this: is there anything in the entire world that worth to oppose your religion for?
In different words, if this is only a political argument "different political opinions" does it worth to "cut the ties of kinship" for it?
Obviously the answer is NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Back to my words "mixing cards - religion with politics" and apply it to the given situation.
If the frist brother thinks that his own political opinions protect the Islam and his brother's opinions are against Islam, this gives a reason for the behavior of the first brother.
I am not getting into details of each one's political opinion or telling if it is right or wrong. All what i am saying is that final result of mixing religion with politics is a deep crack in the family.

I hope that it is clear why do I say "mixing politics with religion is a big mistake", without getting into political details of any opinions, and without thinking who is right and who is wrong.

sorry, unintended post.

MO2013 wrote:

MO2013 wrote:

I wasn't telling who is right and who is wrong. I was just saying that "mixing politics with religion" is completely wrong. The stated situation is a true example for the consequences of mixing politics with religion.

For us Egyptians "Arab" family bonds are somethings we respect the most as it is an Arab culture matter. Above that, specifically for the Egyptian Muslims, family bonds are strictly protected by Islam. In Islam the behavior mentioned above is called "Cut the ties of kinship".

Now let me ask you this: is there anything in the entire world that worth to oppose your religion for?
In different words, if this is only a political argument "different political opinions" does it worth to "cut the ties of kinship" for it?
Obviously the answer is NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Back to my words "mixing cards - religion with politics" and apply it to the given situation.
If the frist brother thinks that his own political opinions protect the Islam and his brother's opinions are against Islam, this gives a reason for the behavior of the first brother.
I am not getting into details of each one's political opinion or telling if it is right or wrong. All what i am saying is that final result of mixing religion with politics is a deep crack in the family.

I hope that it is clear why do I say "mixing politics with religion is a big mistake", without getting into political details of any opinions, and without thinking who is right and who is wrong.

Okay let's say youre right but that would mean you're only right about one side of the problem.

There is the pro morsi side who you are saying is mixing religion with politics and there is the military and it's supporters who are not mixing religion with politics but yet they are still fighting and cutting ties of kinship, why?