Working in PNG, LAE

I am considering a job offer in PNG, LAE as a PM.  Is it safer for a single lady to accept this job offer ?

Lae is not the best place for a young single lady to be in, especially if it is your first time in PNG.

Having said that, if your employer is offering safe guarded accommodation, a car and driver to and from work and a good medical insurance policy it should be okay.

At all times you need to be aware of where you are, if going to an ATM be very careful. Do not go out alone at night. 

Sorry to sound so negative but unemployment and crime are a fact of life in PNG.

Hi....what company are you working....it is an Australian owned...Spectra as production manager....welcome aboard....

Assalam Dik,

its OK to work in LAE asal gaji berbaloi.Tapi yang penting jaga keselamatan.Mesti ada kereta sendiri (jangan naik teksi).kereta perlu ada tinted screen.Stay in area where there is security (security guard).At nite stay at home.Never walk in streets even on broad daylight.Kalau ka Bank,bawa teman.Yang lain lain fikir sendiri.Berok berok hitam kat Papua tak boleh tengok perempuan.Crime on women (rape etc.) very high especially when berok berok hitam ni mabuk

Hello sobri adnan -> Could you please post in english on this English Speaking forum so that other members can understand? ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi Noriah! Welcome to PNG. While Lae has a higher crime rate than Port Moresby, you'll need to be aware of your surroundings and always be security conscious. I have been in PNG for the past 14 months and enjoy the company of locals as well as other expatriates. Make sure that your accommodation comes with  a 24 hr security and you are provided with company transport. Do make friends with the locals as they will be able to tell you places that are relatively safe for you to go. The main market in Lae is quite safe to visit. There's hardly any place to go except the Yatch Club, the Aviat and the Golf Club. There are quite a number of Malaysians in Lae - the IFC in Malahang is a subsidiary of Fima Bhd and the GM and Engineering Manager are Malaysian Malays. They have been here for umteen years and they can tell you more about Lae. It is a challenge to get halal meat in PNG but I am told Ramu Beef does import halal Australian beef. Do check it out.

Hi Sir, I had a job offer as Hospital Manager from Kainantu PNG. my concern is the safety and security of this area, Do have any idea? Hows the lifestyle, tax and other important matters for me to know about Kainantu, PNG..Please reply coz Im first time here.

regards,
snaky

No worry sister,one of my friends single lady have been working in Lae. She is Myanmar single lady also young and beauty.

Welcome in PNG.

Htay Htay

snakeyes29
Kainantu is a very small town in the Eastern Highlands of PNG.

Like all places in PNG there is crime and personal security can be a worry.

Make sure that you have secure, guarded accommodation and do not go out anywhere by yourself at night. Be careful when using ATM machine. Don't flash money around, or wear expensive looking jewellery. Always be aware of your surroundings.

Tax is the same as Australia around 25% or more.

There is no lifestyle as such in Kainantu. Goroka is the provincial capital and offers a little more than Kainantu.

Make sure you have a vehicle and driver to take you there.

Your employer should offer you medical insurance cover with evacuation in the policy.

I speak from experience having lived and worked in PNG on many projects including the Highlands Highway and lived in Kainantu 1983.

Sir, Thank you for the informative feedback. \

Sir another thing. Do have any idea of the starting Salary of hospital manager or manager in PNG?
what would be the most important job package offer should I request/ask from employer? I think my KKB is my employer..

please share your thoughts/experiences/ideas... I need you guys. Salamat talaga.. :)

I have no idea of salary. I suggest you could do a Google search for that information.

For contract conditions you should ask for; 

tax paid salary 
full medical insurance cover
annual holidays
airfares
secure guarded accommodation 
electricity and water paid for
food allowance
vehicle and driver