Have you learnt the maltese language?

Hi guys I have started learning maltese and am having a lot of fun doing it I thought it would be much more difficult for an old un but I'm really enjoying it.

I'm only on the basics so far and wouldn't even consider trying to converse yet but wondered how many of you have learnt maltese?

Has it had any beneficial outcomes for those that can talk Malti?

Anyway will be interesting to see how many expats do.

Caw. Jay.

JayJay1970 wrote:

Hi guys I have started learning maltese and am having a lot of fun doing it I thought it would be much more difficult for an old un but I'm really enjoying it.

I'm only on the basics so far and wouldn't even consider trying to converse yet but wondered how many of you have learnt maltese?

Has it had any beneficial outcomes for those that can talk Malti?

Anyway will be interesting to see how many expats do.

Caw. Jay.

If you are ever interested in giving it a go Jay then have a look here:

On-line language teaching

Xorti tajba

Mike

Grazzi haffna Mike!

That site is brill and fills in a lot of the gaps I got from an  app for android but it isn't available on iPad or iPhone as yet. But the ability to hear what your learning is very useful!

Invaluable , thanks.

By the way are you fluent?

He's usually more fluid than fluent!

JayJay1970 wrote:

Grazzi haffna Mike!

That site is brill and fills in a lot of the gaps I got from an  app for android but it isn't available on iPad or iPhone as yet. But the ability to hear what your learning is very useful!

Invaluable , thanks.

By the way are you fluent?

Hi, pse post a link to the android app, I will find it useful :)

Hi Jay,

Not 'learned', still learning (it's a long way to go)!

Beneficial outcomes? Keeps your brain going ;-)  and you have more possibilities to take part in the Maltese life. In short, makes your (Maltese) life more interesting.

Hi Redmik if you search for "surface languages maltese" it will get you the app. (Don't know how to post links) it was £6.99 but for the moment is free but it is great and helps with the pronunciation as a native voice gives you the correct pronunciation for all the common words and phrases you could need as a beginner.

Tina I think it really will make life in Malta more interesting and accessible, and I think it's at least good to show you are willing to have a go.

JayJay1970 wrote:

Hi Redmik if you search for "surface languages maltese" it will get you the app. (Don't know how to post links) it was £6.99 but for the moment is free but it is great and helps with the pronunciation as a native voice gives you the correct pronunciation for all the common words and phrases you could need as a beginner.

Tina I think it really will make life in Malta more interesting and accessible, and I think it's at least good to show you are willing to have a go.

assuming they speak back to you in malti - as usually they will find it easier to speak to you in english. its what many people who are learning the language find. But dont give up - I am still learning (i know about 400 words now) but found that taking the course for beginners was a good start but learned far more from maltese friends etc...that in itself is a challenge as many villages have their own dialect and will use one word to mean one thing and in another village it can and often is used to mean something else... it is difficult to master but if you can pronounce the words they way theyre meant to be pronounced it makes things much easier. Personally i find it interesting to know the history behind many of the words used for street names and areas.

go for it jay Jay and enjoy it...

Thanks toon, are there different dialects and colloquialisms in the larger towns or are they more as standard?

At least I'll be able to ask for things in shops and greet/ say goodbye I think an actual conversation is a long way off.

Yeah I agree the street names are fascinating, and to me the structure of words and the pronunciation is interesting also.

Ha, the hardest thing for me is the gentle rolling of an "r" I sound like a Scottish laird on rrrrrrrrr day. :rolleyes:

it is interesting for sure - but just remember in  pronouncing they usually pronounce every single syllabel

Ok thanks toon, am also trying to master the q sound like in cockney "water" lots to learn!

JayJay1970 wrote:

Ok thanks toon, am also trying to master the q sound like in cockney "water" lots to learn!

the Q is more like ugh.... as in our - mostly silent never proninced like the english Q

the X is sh as in sheila

the C is ch as in church - or Cisk (chisk)

the J is Y as in yahoo

there is no Y in the maltese alhpabet

ie together is usually ee

G with a dot over it is i think sounds like a J or a G

eg Xemxija - pronounced shem-she-yah

redmik wrote:

He's usually more fluid than fluent!

:cheers:

Is that on the "ch" sound for cisk Mike! :cheers: I really am going to enjoy that sound.

as in chin chin and cheers

Rofl. Can't wait to have a beer with you guys.

Ceerio!

Thanks for the link jay :-)

Just downloaded the app, it's a freebie! :-)

What do you think Redmik, it seems very good value for money! :D

Oh and a belated happy birthday Red! :one

JayJay1970 wrote:

What do you think Redmik, it seems very good value for money! :D

Oh and a belated happy birthday Red! :one

Thanks pal, had a great night out at M'skala festa.
Anything buckshee is a bargain, except flies!!

Mingħandi wkoll. Auguri f' għeluq sninek! :)

Happy Birthday Redmik

Hello tina_ch ---> English please ;)

Thanks

Karen :)

I started out with the Surface languages app mentioned above, and i've also enrolled with the lifelong learning courses offered by the Maltese government. They are fun, but the teacher seems to like  teaching us English words in butchered Maltese spelling: pajnepil, grejpfruwt maxrums, ners, pork ribz ... Even when there are Maltese words for it (faqiegh, infirmiera, kustilji tal-majjal ...)
My Maltese girlfriend hates this! But apparently it's a trend, and officially allowed by whatever governing body there is that lays down the rules for the Maltese language.

tina_ch wrote:

Mingħandi wkoll. Auguri f' għeluq sninek! :)

Happy Birthday Redmik

So sorry, I have only just seen this.
Thank you :)

nilonilonilo wrote:

I started out with the Surface languages app mentioned above, and i've also enrolled with the lifelong learning courses offered by the Maltese government. They are fun, but the teacher seems to like  teaching us English words in butchered Maltese spelling: pajnepil, grejpfruwt maxrums, ners, pork ribz ... Even when there are Maltese words for it (faqiegh, infirmiera, kustilji tal-majjal ...)
My Maltese girlfriend hates this! But apparently it's a trend, and officially allowed by whatever governing body there is that lays down the rules for the Maltese language.

No wonder so many Maltese are failing their own language exams.